collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Heeyy, careful man there's a beverage here - The Dude

Author Topic: weenieLyndhurst  (Read 5756 times)

Offline Lewy C

• homepage
Re: weenieLyndhurst
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2009, 03:57:18 AM »
Thanks for the kind words about Aberdeen Mississippi. Marshcat sent me the mp3 so, just to prove how alcohol consumption can sweeten one's recollection of events, here it is ;)

Offline Marshcat

• Aloha!
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2009, 07:22:04 AM »
There's now video footage of some of the National Steel numbers over at http://www.vintagenationals.com - in the Pickin' Parlor under the "Videos" section.

When I get a moment, I'll post mp3s here of some of the favourite songs people have mentioned earlier in this thread.

Marshcat
www.lemonrock.com/nationalsteel

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2009, 09:18:16 AM »
Thanks for the kind words about Aberdeen Mississippi. Marshcat sent me the mp3 so, just to prove how alcohol consumption can sweeten one's recollection of events, here it is ;)

Terrific!  Particularly like when your vocals go up an octave.

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2009, 11:39:56 AM »
I'd hoped Bunker Hill might've dropped in at some point

Alan was indisposed so was unable to attend. I didn't find out until I picked up my email Sunday, although he had been in touch. We'll have him there next year!

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2009, 11:52:16 AM »
As folks may have gathered from some of the photos and videos there was a mouth-watering selection of vintage guitars being played.

I'll list a few just to get the juices flowing:

Stella 12-string (20's)
Baby Sovereign (20's or 30's)
Kalamazoo (1941)
L00 (30's)
Style 1 tricone roundneck
2 (count em) square neck tricones
Style 3 tricone
Exploding Palm Tree tricone
2 Triolians (12 & 14 fret)
Duolian
Koa Supertone (20's)
Kay Kraft (30's)

Also some nice modern instruments.

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2009, 12:40:50 PM »
Bob Long and Pete Harris sorting out Statesboro Blues:

http://gallery.me.com/blueshome#100056
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 12:41:52 PM by blueshome »

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2009, 03:04:35 AM »
I'd hoped Bunker Hill might've dropped in at some point

Alan was indisposed so was unable to attend. I didn't find out until I picked up my email Sunday, although he had been in touch. We'll have him there next year!
Indisposed is the story of my life. Won?t bore you all with my ailments but nine months ago my "right eye started jumping"(to paraphrase a blues song) and was having matters thoroughly examined in hospital.

Enough of this, back to matters in hand, I obviously missed a rare old knees-up and...Pete Harris...who I haven?t clapped eyes on for at least a decade!

Offline Marshcat

• Aloha!
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2009, 01:34:50 AM »
Here's some footage of Angelina Grimshaw with National Steel, singing Cannon's Jug Stompers' "Viola Lee Blues". She's one of the most solid rhythm guitarists in the country blues idiom, with an amazing chord vocabulary and a great voice reminiscent of Memphis Minnie and Jo-Ann Kelly. We engineered her parole from Alcatraz (the Isle of Wight) for Weenie Lyndhurst...

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2009, 02:45:46 AM »
Here's some footage of Angelina Grimshaw with National Steel, singing Cannon's Jug Stompers' "Viola Lee Blues". She's one of the most solid rhythm guitarists in the country blues idiom, with an amazing chord vocabulary and a great voice reminiscent of Memphis Minnie and Jo-Ann Kelly. We engineered her parole from Alcatraz (the Isle of Wight) for Weenie Lyndhurst...
Magic! I?ve only seen her perform twice (1992) once at the Onslow, Southampton the other the Portsmouth Blues Festival. On both occasions she was with her brother J.C. Reviews of both events noted the similarity in her vocal to Jo-Ann. A review of the Southampton gig remarked that the brother and sister duo brought back memories of early performances of Jo-Ann and Dave Kelly in London pubs.

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2009, 06:33:58 AM »
The Grimshaw siblings are another fine example of "why aren't they famous?" As Marshcat rightly mentions, because of Angelina's stunning voice, it's easy to overlook her steady guitar playing. She's a good fingerpicker as well.

JC also sings and has to be one of the best if not THE best acoustic musician in the country.  He plays lead guitar a bit like Django Reinhardt, lap slide like Sol Ho'opi'i or King Benny Nawahi, plus bottleneck guitar, fingerpicked guitar, mandolin (you can hardly see his fingers in the blur at times), ukulele, harmonica and is currently learning to play drums.  For all his dazzling technique, he always plays with soul and with sensitivity for the genre.  Pity he was on holiday with his wife and kids during the Weenie Weekend.

UK Weenies may like to know that Angelina & JC will be leaving the island and in my neck of the woods towards the end of May:

21 May - the FILO, Hastings Old Town
23 May - The Bull, Benenden, Kent
24 May - The Plough, Udimore, Near Rye, East Sussex (4 pm start)

Hope to see the odd Weenie (we're all a bit odd, I know) at their gigs.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 09:02:31 AM by Parlor Picker »
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2009, 11:48:57 AM »
Thanks for that Mr Marshcat, what chance of tempting another break out from Alcatraz for next years gathering - I am of assuming that we want a repeat of the great event  :)
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline Nicolas Dussart

• Salut les mecs !
    • some concerts photos
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2009, 04:30:24 PM »
Here's some footage of Angelina Grimshaw with National Steel,...

Really great, thank you for the discovery !

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2009, 05:14:52 PM »
Great stuff, and great to see weenie UK really taking off. I was thinking "Two slide guitars?", but it worked due to the taste and decorum of all concerned. I'm an Angelina fan from this point on.

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2009, 01:41:39 AM »
Check out the Grimshaws on their website:

www.Village-Bike.co.uk
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2009, 01:45:34 AM »
I'm an Angelina fan from this point on.
The first time I ever saw her perform was at the (don't laugh) Second Basingstoke Blues Festival in 1991 fronting an act named Angelina & The Cornbabies which I vaguely recall as being a country blues string band outfit, but 17 years have passed...

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal