collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

I ain't no springman, nor no springman's son, I can work yo' bedsprings 'till yo' springman come - Bo Carter, "All Around Man"

Author Topic: Two Time Blues  (Read 2202 times)

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
Two Time Blues
« on: January 09, 2007, 12:20:04 PM »
Hi All:

This is the Arthur Pettis tune, from 1930. Standard tuning, key of A. Monotonic bass.

This was recorded on a plugged in (factory Gibson undersaddle pickup) 2003 Gibson J-100XT, med. gauge strings, with vocal miked separately.

Thanks for listening,
Alex

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
Re: Two Time Blues
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 08:09:45 PM »
Wow, I hate the sound of the pick-up on the guitar. It just isn't capable of reproducing the naunces of your playing. Obviously you're not quite up to performance level with this one, yet, but the pick-up really muddies the sound and gets overpowered at times. I'd like to hear this tune on the L-00 or something, but I'm sure we're gonna get a sample of that, too, eh?-G-

Your voice comes across nicely, though, with the up close micing. It creates a weird contrast. I can tell you felt like you could relax into it a little more, whereas with the single mic you felt like you had to project a little to get to the mic. Actually, I like the feeling of both styles of singing. With the mic up close you can get softer and have a more nuanced, relaxed intimate feel, but with the mic a ways off you sound more like someone singing acoustically in a room, which has a more realistic, and sometimes more emotionally heightened feel. Great experiment, I'm interested in what other set ups and guitars you are going to demo.

Of course, I know and love your rendition of Rollin' From Side to Side.-G-

All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline Blue in VT

• Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 06:32:35 AM »
VERY NICE!!!  I think this sounded great and you are certainly very comfortable with your singing voice....something I haven't quite gotten myself yet.  The guitar playing is smooth and expressive and couples well with your voice.  If anything I think the level of the guitar to voice could come up a bit.

Thanks for sharing!!

Blue
Blue in VT

Offline GhostRider

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 08:11:29 AM »
Thanks, Blue and BJ:

BJ: Actually the J-100 usually sounds great plugged, many have complimented it's electrified sound, so I'm at a loss as to why it sounds muddy here. And your right I haven't played "Two Time Blues" out yet, although I can do a decent version if I practise it a few times, which didn't happen here.

The L-00 is so sensitive to humidity changes, and since it's winter here on the plains (relative humidity less than 10%), it's right now in the shop for it's "winter setup".

Blue: Thanks for the compliments. I find the last 4 bars of this one tough to sing, especially the last note. I'm working on it. As to "comfortable", as Waxwing has often said, comfort, at least in my case comes with doing it. Sing along with your playing as often as you can, at least every other time to pracise a tune. It's always good to sing to the dog, they never leave ('though my cat often does  :( ).

Thanks again,
Alex

Offline GhostRider

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 08:57:23 AM »
Hi all:

Here's "Two Time Blues" again, one year later.

This is why I like to hear myself recorded occasionally. I though I had this vocal part down, but listening to it, it's too stiff, it needs work!

At least the guitar is a bit better than one year ago.

In A position, Standard tuning. Played on my Gibson L-00.

BTW, I've TAB'd this one out. If you want a copy, send me a personal message and I'll get it to you. I'll post the Tabledit version here in a couple of days (when I find it!).

Again any comments and criticism more than welcome.

Alex
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 09:01:10 AM by GhostRider »

Offline uncle bud

• Administrator
  • Rank amateur
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 11:44:56 AM »
Hi Alex - some minor comments as this one sounds good. I agree about the vocal - occasionally stiff sounding. You're occasionally rushing through the lines - Pettis does a bit of that too of course. But I'm wondering whether slowing the whole song down a bit might help. You might need to more consciously croon this as well (in a bluesy way of course).

The other thing is that the double-time sections don't sound quite double, are a bit sluggish, even though you're getting all the notes. Again, maybe slowing down the overall tune would remedy this.

The song has a haunting quality IMO that could benefit from a slight reduction in speed.

Offline GhostRider

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 11:53:47 AM »
The song has a haunting quality IMO that could benefit from a slight reduction in speed.

I totally agree. Playing too quickly is one of my major faults.

Thanks,
Alex

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 12:56:11 PM »
Normally it's safe to listen to Andrew about things like this, but in this case, I say don't.  The tempo is good.  It doesn't drag and it's got a gentle swing to it.  Your vocals are already a bit on the crooning side - much better than a year ago.  The parts where the vocal has to rush through the lines to get all the syllables provide a bit of rhythmic contrast and propulsion.  You just have to nail those double time sections.  Whenever you get to one I think you start out ok, feel a little unsure of yourself, hesitate just a hair, and resume at less than double time. 

Offline Blue in VT

• Howdy!
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 12:42:55 PM »
Sounds Great...I see a substantial improvement over a year ago...nice work.  I like the tempo...and the singing is great.  Overall the recording is better than it was by ar.

Cheers,

Blue
Blue in VT

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal