collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
When Woody Guthrie was singing hillbilly songs on a little Los Angeles radio station in the late 1930s he used to mail out a small mimeographed songbook to listeners who wanted the words to his songs. On the bottom of one page appeared the following: This song is Copyrighted in U.S., under Seal of Copyright #154085, for a period of 28 years, and anybody caught singin' it without our permission, will be mighty good friends of our'n, cause we don't give a dern. Publish it. Write it. Sing it. Swing to it. Yodel it. We wrote it, that's all we wanted to do - Pete Seeger, on Woody, June 67

Author Topic: White Dog Imagery?  (Read 1096 times)

Offline harriet

White Dog Imagery?
« on: September 04, 2015, 11:08:11 AM »
Hi,

I've been working on Fred McDowell's "All the Way from East St. Louis" and I was wondering if anyone knows if  "my white dog" in the first verse is a symbol or represents something - like a companion? The lyrics are below

Me and my white dog started walking out in Jackson Park
Me and my white dog started walking out in Jackson Park
Takes a man's appetite lord hear my white dog bark
Guitar...
Hear my ...
Hear my white ...
Hear my white dog

I walked all the way from East St Louis to town
I walked all the way from East St Louis to town
Babe I did not have but  one poor lousy dime
Lord I did not
Did not have ..
But that one...
One poor lous....

Lor I believe my baby trying to slide me down
Well I believe my baby trying to slide me down
Every time I see her Lor all time doggin me round
Guitar...
Doggin me...
Doggin...
Guitar..

Thank you,
Harriet
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 01:23:18 PM by harriet »

Offline btasoundsradio

• the artist formerly known as powerlinehorizon
    • BTA Sounds Radio: Podcast of Obscure Musics
Re: White Dog Imagery?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 08:53:33 PM »
i always thought it was
me and my wife done...
but I guess white dog makes more sense

i just assumed, if you hear your dog bark, it means some one's sneakin around
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 05:47:43 AM by powerlinehorizon »
Charlie is the Father, Son is the Son, Willie is the Holy Ghost

Offline harriet

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2015, 06:29:34 PM »
Thanks Powerline Horizon for your response. I was hoping the phrase "white dog" showed up in other blues than this and in his "You're Going to Be Sorry." but I can't find anything online about it more than those 2 examples.

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 03:14:22 PM »
The Jackson Park verse shows up (probably for the first time) in Lemon's "Weary Dogs Blues," but in this case it's weary dogs instead of a white one, and probably referring to Lemon's feet.
Chris

Offline harriet

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 04:01:28 PM »
http://weeniecampbell.com/wiki/index.php?title=Weary_Dogs_Blues

Thanks Banjochris,striking similarities - hard to know with Fred if he's using a lyric from someone else that he heard wrong or if he had a private meaning, or was using a lost colloquialism. His repetoire included Charley Patton and  Blind Willie Johnson, snatches  I associate with Son House so he may have heard Blind Lemon - perhaps I should take a closer look at BLJ's lyrics,

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 05:09:08 PM »
It is interesting, and of course probably most Southern cities had a Jackson Park somewhere, so I'm not sure how much that helps. And of course even if Lemon originated the lyric (which I think is likely), Fred may have heard it second-hand. But the way Lemon sings "weary" I could see how it could be misheard or misremembered as "white."

Offline harriet

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2015, 04:39:57 AM »
The BLJ definitely sounds like "white dog" as you noted Banjochris and to strengthen the case for this I found the liner notes for the "Alan Lomax Recordings" and a reference to BLJ - so perhaps its imagery by misunderstanding.

http://www.culturalequity.org/ce_images/features/McDowell/GJ1007_FredMcDowell_Booklet.pdf

"At the time Fred was in his teens and had just begun playing guitar, picking out the notes one string at a time on borrowed instruments, to songs he heard locally and on records by artists like Tommy Johnson and Blind Lemon Jefferson."

Thanks,
Harriet

Tags: Fred McDowell 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal