collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
George wanted to take Lonzie to record with Albert Macon and Robert Thomas, and the daughter was hesitant to let Lonzie get in a car with George, or with anybody, but George reassured her. So George helped him in the car, and put the car in reverse, and drove directly into a nearby ditch. Lonzie turned and said, "Man, George, you may as well let me drive!" - Fred Fussell describes George Mitchell chauffeuring the blind Lonzie Thomas to a recording session, from notes to The George Mitchell Collection

Author Topic: Digital Library of Appalachia  (Read 2161 times)

Offline CF

Digital Library of Appalachia
« on: December 05, 2007, 07:59:30 AM »
Thought this page would be of interest to some of you here. I've just found it (thanks to Big Road Blues blog) & there's some interesting 'field' recordings from the 70s available as downloadable mp3s. Of particular or passing interest would be Kip Lornell interviewing some elderly white players on their blues influences. One Spence Moore plays a couple Blind Lemon tunes he apparently learned from the records. Vaughn Webb interviews him about ordering Blind Lemon records through the Sears Roebuck (??) catalogue! I'll link to the blues recordings but there are many other styles you can search through from the home page. Once you pick a song to listen to just click the 'click here to display item' white banner at the top to access the mp3.

http://www.aca-dla.org/cgi-bin/queryresults.exe?&CISORESTMP=/site-templates/search_results.html&CISOVIEWTMP=/site-templates/item_viewer.html&CISOMODE=grid&CISOGRID=thumbnail,A,1;title,A,1;subjec,A,0;descri,200,0;publis,A,0;20&CISOBIB=title,A,1,N;subjec,A,0,N;descri,K,0,N;0,A,0,N;0,A,0,N;10&CISOTHUMB=2,5&CISOTITLE=10&CISOROOT1=all&CISOOP=all&CISOFIELD1=subjec&CISOBOX1=blues

Edit: Per UB's post below, the web address is now http://dla.acaweb.org/
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 11:18:02 PM by Rivers »
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
Re: Digital Library of Appalachia
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 11:20:40 AM »
There's some excellent old-time country music on that site as well. Also, I'm pretty sure Spence Moore is still alive, and an album of his music just came out recently.

Offline David Kaatz

Digital Library of Appalachia
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 02:48:57 PM »
Anybody here familiar with this?  I searched weeniepedia before posting this.
http://www.aca-dla.org/

I heard Clayton Horsley on the Juke and went searching.  There are a bunch of his tunes downloadable in mp3 format there, for educational purposes.  It's all educational, isn't it?

I don't have time to explore it, just discovered it.  Gotta run.

Check it out!

Dave

Offline David Kaatz

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 09:16:32 PM »
There's a lot of stuff to wade through here, and I can't tell yet what might be good.  Trial and error I guess is the only way to  know.  It appears that not all is downloadable, but it may be playable through your browser.

Definitely check out the Clayton Horsley stuff.  What I've listened to sounded good.

D.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 06:07:49 AM »
There's a fair amount of John Jackson as I recall, and it's the place I found more Rabbit Muse than the two cuts on the Virginia Traditions CD. Some of the stuff is just recorded by folks with whatever they got. College or high school girl with a tape recorder for Rabbit Muse, it sounds like, pretty bad sometimes.

It's a great archive, I wish more people would do stuff like that.

I haven't heard the Clayton Horsley stuff on the Archive, he's also on the Virginia Traditions disc (probably what you heard on the Juke). I'll check him out.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 09:12:58 AM »
Just a note to say the Digital Library of Appalachia site has changed web addresses and is now at

http://dla.acaweb.org/

Offline evan

• Howdy!
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 08:22:04 PM »
Such an excellent source of great music.  Check out 'Big Sweet' Hairston, Uncle Homer Walker, Virgil Anderson, Roscoe Holcomb, and Clarence Tross. 

Offline JohnLeePimp

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 05:40:05 AM »
and Walter and Ethel, Thurman 'Cowboy' Burks, Marvin Foddrell, Dave Dickerson, KC Compton, James Diggs, "No Legs" Sam Fincher, Ray Wilson, Clayton Horsley, Howard Twine, Archie Edwards and don't forget Buddy Moss
...so blue I shade a part of this town.

Tags: Appalachia 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal