collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
My group of people - Joe Turner, King Curtis, Mickey Baker - used to laugh at all the country blues singers who were backwards musically. John Lee Hooker and Lightnin' Hopkins sang out of meter - we couldn't respect them - Doc Pomus, quoted in How The Beatles Destroyed Rock 'N' Roll by Elijah Wald

Author Topic: Robert Wilkins - Memphis Gospel Singer  (Read 23824 times)

Offline jostber

Robert Wilkins - Memphis Gospel Singer
« on: March 14, 2008, 05:30:54 AM »
This seems like a great album by the wonderful Robert Wilkins:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:kpfexqwgld0e

Sadly it is notoriously hard to find, been looking for it for sometime.

I have only heard Wilkins' classic pre-war songs. Any opinions on this record, or his other sessions from the 60's and 70's?

« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 05:32:24 AM by jostber »

Offline Bunker Hill

Re: Robert Wilkins - Memphis Gospel Singer
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 07:29:58 AM »
Coincidently a couple of weeks ago I was having a discussion with Andy Cohen about his plans for release of a CD featuring the complete Dick Spottswood Wilkins recordings of which the Piedmont LP was only a fraction. Andy told me that despite a long gestation period it was hoped that released would be this year but not to hold him to it. :)

In the meantime I guess we just amuse ourselves at Stefan's Wilkin's discography...

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 08:29:45 AM »
I have the Piedmont LP. Definitely worth owning if you're a Rev. Robert Wilkins fan. Hopefully Andy will re-release it sooner rather than later. Be patient. If you can find a reasonably priced used copy, pick it up, but don't overspend. A couple of the songs are also on "Remember Me."

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 09:15:32 AM »
When I bought the LP in about 1966 so hypnotic was Prodigal Son I almost played the track white to the exclusion of all else on the record. But I eventually grew up and grew out of it! ::)

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 10:55:52 AM »
I thought folk might like to see the session details showing the original LP/CD releases. I hope the format doesn't get too screwed up.

V/g or -1 g solos.  Washington D.C. 13th & 16th February 1964

Jesus will fix it alright             Piedmont LP 13162
      Thank you Jesus -1               Piedmont LP 13162
      Just a closer walk with Thee   Piedmont LP 13162
      Do Lord remember me            Piedmont LP 13162
      Here am I, send me               Piedmont LP 13162
      The prodigal son                   Piedmont LP 13162
      Jesus said if you go               Piedmont LP 13162
      I'm going home to my
                    Heavenly King -1   Piedmont LP 13162
      Old time religion                   Biograph LP 12027, CD 130
      I wish I was in Heaven          Biograph LP 12027, CD 130
      Holy Ghost train                   Biograph LP 12027
      The gamblin' man                 Biograph LP 12027
      Rock of ages                       Biograph CD 130
      When I lay my burden down   Biograph CD 130

Offline jostber

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 12:37:24 PM »
Coincidently a couple of weeks ago I was having a discussion with Andy Cohen about his plans for release of a CD featuring the complete Dick Spottswood Wilkins recordings of which the Piedmont LP was only a fraction. Andy told me that despite a long gestation period it was hoped that released would be this year but not to hold him to it. :)

In the meantime I guess we just amuse ourselves at Stefan's Wilkin's discography...

This would be great! Thanks for the information.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 12:56:33 PM »

This would be great! Thanks for the information.
Here's an interesting part of what Andy told me which I hope he won't mind my passing on:

"We've collected some alternate contemporaneous material that duplicates the Biograph material, and Pete Kuykendall sent us some spoken word stuff.  We want to put that part out on a separate CD-R for scholars, with a long (65+) just-music CD that encompasses his re-emergence repertoire."

Kuykendall was the guy who recorded the session. Interestingly the person who mastered the original Piedmont LP was Peter Bartok son of the famous Hungarian composer, Bela.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 01:03:25 PM »
Looking forward to this. I'm sure Andy will sell numerous copies to Weenies if that's any encouragement! Wilkins' material from these recordings is tremendous, some really powerful stuff.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 01:29:39 PM »
Looking forward to this. I'm sure Andy will sell numerous copies to Weenies if that's any encouragement! Wilkins' material from these recordings is tremendous, some really powerful stuff.
Whilst I think of it in the list of Robert Wilkins tags there a very interesting discussion of this topic started by one Andrewm! Click that last line tag and remind yourself of it.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 03:37:56 PM »
He also does "Prodigal Son" on "Blues at Newport: 1964." Epic poetry with guitar accompaniment.

IMHO it's a must have CD.

BH: Thanks for the tip on the tag. It gave me the thought the we need a "certified nut case" topic heading, but then suddenly I recalled the nature of the site and it's members...Oh well  :P

Offline doctorpep

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2008, 09:49:16 PM »
It'll be awesome to hear the new cd. I wish Wilkins would have recorded secular material during the post-war years, but apparently he didn't.
"There ain't no Heaven, ain't no burning Hell. Where I go when I die, can't nobody tell."

http://www.hardluckchild.blogspot.com/

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2008, 11:01:16 PM »
'Amen' to that!

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2008, 01:49:23 AM »
Clicking on the cover of the first Piedmont reissue at Stefan's page enlarges it to reveal the legend

Including PRODIGAL SON the orginal Robert Wikins composition recorded by the ROLLING STONES.

Which I guess not only helps date this reissue to possibly 1969 (Beggar's Banquet LP released in Britain 5th December 1968) but also the motivation for it. ;D Cynical, moi? Perish the thought.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2008, 09:29:00 AM »
Clicking on the cover of the first Piedmont reissue at Stefan's page enlarges it to reveal the legend

Including PRODIGAL SON the original Robert Wikins composition recorded by the ROLLING STONES.

Which I guess not only helps date this reissue to possibly 1969 (Beggar's Banquet LP released in Britain 5th December 1968) but also the motivation for it. ;D Cynical, moi? Perish the thought.

That's the one I have. Given the business of music, almost anything that generated an increased interest in this area of music (early blues and the people who played it) was welcomed. I'm sure many of us have recollections of attempting to make others aware of who and where the inspiration--and songs--originally came from. It could be a very frustrating undertaking.

Offline NevadaPic

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2008, 05:15:54 PM »
Let me offer some more encouragement then.  The Reverend Wilkins is one of my favorites.  It was unfortunate that he was not originally credited as the writer of 'Prodigal Son' on the first release of 'Beggars Banquet'.  I believe this was corrected in future releases.  In any case, it was my first exposure to his music.  There is that irony that many Americans were introduced to the work of so many Black American blues and gospel artists through the 'British Invasion' of the 60's...

Pic   
If I don't meet you no more in this world, I'll meet you in the next one so don't be late...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal