collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
We are told to our faces often that though our quartet is one of the best that has been heard up here, they would like us better if we would "play the Nigger" - their own words - more... every day we are made to understand that if there was less refinement about us and more fool, we would do better... When I have about three persons ask for the [spirituals] and about four score ask that we dance and sing songs which tell of Negroes stealing chickens, I make no pretensions to try to please - Tuskegee Quartet member Isaac Fisher, in a letter to Dr. Booker T. Washington, c. 1900

Author Topic: Julius Daniels  (Read 2880 times)

Offline Stefan Wirz

• Tach-chen!
    • 'American Music'
Julius Daniels
« on: February 25, 2008, 07:47:06 AM »
Julius Daniels discography online !

(List of cover versions, e.g. of Ninety-Nine Year Blues will be added soon)

Stefan

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
Re: Julius Daniels
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 08:33:26 AM »
More fine work from Stefan.

I have the Matchbox LP "Atlanta Blues 1927-30" and am always amazed at the fantastic sound quality of these recordings.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline oddenda

Re: Julius Daniels
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 07:51:57 AM »
Hi, y'all -

Having located Julius' death certificate in the 1970s, as well as his widow, it behooves me to tell you that his given name was Julius Daniel, without the terminal "s"! Probably the result of the Victor A&R man getting it wrong, or mishearing the accent. Willie Trice's Decca sides came out as by "Welly Trice", another example, I'd say. Julius' widow was his second wife and was of no help, being a religious (her late husband being a blues singer who dies of syphilis)... I only got to her after being told by her to contact her attorney! No photos, either. She claimed that Julius had found god and put down sinful things.

p.p. - Victor was the standard-bearer for good sound recording and reproduction back in the day, so if the 78 is in good shape, then the re-issue reproduction will also be fine. Compare Duke Ellington's recordings for them, then the same tune done for other other contemporary labels to hear what I mean.

yrs,
     Peter B.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 03:55:10 AM by oddenda »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal