collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I didn't know I loved her 'til they eased her down - Charlie Patton, Circle Around The Moon

Author Topic: Poor Howard (warts and all...)  (Read 1350 times)

Offline Mike Brosnan

Poor Howard (warts and all...)
« on: February 12, 2010, 01:35:19 AM »
Thought I'd post the (d)evolution of this tune as I try to get comfortable with it.  Obviously a work in progress...  Having fun experimenting along the way.  Not so sure about the key yet... I'll try to post a mellower version sans fingerpicks later.

For comparison's sake (and to laugh at myself some more), here's a repost of the sloppy drunk version I recorded the first night I was messing with this tune:

Offline sustaireblues

Re: Poor Howard (warts and all...)
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 06:47:39 AM »
That's sounding good Mike, I like the vocal sections also. I'm always inspired by the drive your thumb gives to your picking, very powerful and steady!

Joe

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 07:04:24 AM »
Really strong, enjoyable performance.  See you went to the Mr. O'Muck School of Disguise...  ;)
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline Mike Brosnan

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 09:34:10 AM »
Thanks, folks.  The vocals definitely need work and I'll definitely need a mic to project my voice above this beast.  Todd described this guitar as a "real cannon".  I'd have to agree.  Loud as hell when I really drive it with fingerpicks.
P.P.- The disguise just helps keep the light out of my eyes. :)

Offline onewent

• Mr. So and So
    • vintagebluesguitars.com
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 11:52:59 AM »
..that's cool, Mike..really bangin' right thumb, almost sounds like a foot keeping time..You look like you're having fun, and if the change from vid1 and vid2 is any indication, you need to lay off the sauce, bro!  ;-)   Looking forward to your progress on the 12..  Regards, Tom

Offline Mike Brosnan

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 12:01:33 PM »
Thanks, Tom.  My foot was definitely bangin' away in the background there.  The second vid with the moving camera is a day or two older than the first one.  That was the first night I started working on that tune.  I just put that one up for fun.  But yeah, you're right.... I do need to lay off the sauce.  :(

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 03:56:01 AM »
That's the way to do it!

Offline jtbrown

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 04:53:30 PM »
Mike,

That sounds excellent, though you really do need a microphone to compete with that guitar. It looks like when you made the first video your camera was even drunker than you were.

Todd

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 05:37:36 PM »
Sounds good Mike!  Energetic, & thumpin' but the tempo could have been a bit faster  :P!
Check out those youtube voice exercise videos I posted a link for in the lessons section. They really will help open up your voice.
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Mike Brosnan

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 03:00:00 AM »
much thanks, folks!
jt- yeah, this is obviously just a practice run.  i'll definitely use a mic when i'm trying to record a real performance.  pardon the paraphrase: the camera has been drinking, not me...

o'muck- i checked those vocal vids out real quick fast, but haven't really worked with 'em yet.  thanks for reminding me.  i definitely got a lot o' work to do with my voice.  asthma's been rough lately...
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 03:02:21 AM by Mike Brosnan »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal