collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Good God, why doesn't that man yodel and be done with it? - A woman in the audience commenting on Peetie Wheatstraw's signature "ooh, well well", recounted by Teddy Darby, quoted in Paul Garon's The Devil's Son-In-Law

Author Topic: new hank!  (Read 1473 times)

Offline unezrider

new hank!
« on: November 11, 2008, 06:42:36 PM »
hello friend,
several years ago i bought the "complete hank williams" 10 cd box set. i thought i'd never buy another hank cd again. gladly, was i wrong! time life has put out, with the hank williams estate, "the unreleased recordings of hank williams" - a 3 cd box set, with terrific sound quality. all the songs were recorded for a radio show in '51, with his band. there are some real gems here, too; 'blue eyes crying in the rain', the very first public performance of 'i can't help it', 'cool water', etc...
highly recommended,
chris
"Be good, & you will be lonesome." -Mark Twain

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
Re: new hank!
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 06:57:39 PM »
Thanks for the review Chris. I heard some cuts on our NPR affiliate, sounded great. I'd read the story of Hank's early morning 'Flour Hour' shows and was keen to hear them.

From the cuts I heard on NPR I was surprised at how evolved the whole band was at that early stage, making records, right there live in the studio.

Offline outfidel

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 07:20:32 AM »
yeah, the blurb in the latest Roots & Rhythm sounds fascinating

HANK WILLIAMS
Unreleased Recordings

Time Life 80031
CD $39.98

Three CDS, 54 tracks, 168 mins, utterly essential

Now in stock. Here it is - the Holy Grail of country music - 54 previously unissued songs from the greatest country music singer and songwriter of all time including 28 songs he never recorded anywhere. In 1951 Hank recorded a series of 72 15 minute radio shows with his Drifting Cowboys sponsored by Mother's Best Flour. These recordings were almost lost but a couple of sets of the original 16" acetates used for the shows survived and have been embroiled in legal entanglements for many years though copies of these shows have circulated underground among Williams collectors. The legal issues have finally been sorted out and this is the first of several releases to feature those recordings along with other previously unreleased material. Although only one of the never before released songs is a Hank original his performances of other artists songs redefine that song for all time. In addition to covers of other artists' hits there are traditional gospel songs and obscure old songs that indicate the depth of Hank's musical knowledge. Every performance is a gem so it's impossible to really pick out highlights but I'll mention a fews titles of particular interest. On Top Of Old Smokey is familiar to everyone as a jolly campfire song but Hank sings it as it was originally written as a slow tragic love ballad and the result is simply spine chilling as is his performance of another old warhorse Cool Water which features one of his most intense performances. Backing is, of course, by The Drifting Cowboys featuring sensitive accompaniments from Jerry Rivers on fiddle, Don Helms on steel, Sammy Pruett on guitar and Cedric Rainwater on bass and various members of the group are featured on a gorgeous array of old gospel songs. The sound quality is absolutely magnificent - often better than on his more familiar studio recordings and the set is packaged in a 10"x6" book form with 40 pages of notes by Hank's biographer Colin Escott along with great and rare photos. My only regret is that they only included a few snippets of the talk between the songs but hopefully future sets will feature more and, perhaps, one day we will see all the shows reissued in their entirety. This is the release that Hank Williams fans have been waiting many years to finally see released and I believe it to be the best and most important release of this year and quite possibly of the 21st century. (FS)

HANK WILLIAMS: At The First Fall Of Snow/ Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain/ California Zephyr/ Cherokee Boogie/ Cold, Cold Heart/ Cool Water/ Dear John/ Drifting Too Far From The Shore/ Dust On The Bible/ From Jerusalem to Jericho/ Gathering Flowers For The Master's Bouquet/ Have I Told You Lately That I Love You/ Hey, Good Lookin'/ I Can't Help It(If I'm Still In Love With You)/ I Can't Tell My Heart That/ I Dreamed That the Great Judgement Morning/ I Heard My Savior Calling Me/ I'll Fly Away/ I'll Have A New Life/ I'll Sail My Ship Alone/ I'm Gonna Sing/ I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry/ I've Got My One Way Ticket To The Sky/ If I Didn't Love You/ Just When I Needed You/ Lonely Tombs/ Low And Lonely/ May You Never Be Alone/ Mind Your Own Business/ Next Sunday Darling Is My Birthday/ On The Banks Of The Pontchartrain/ On Top Of Old Smoky/ Pictures From Life's Other Side/ Pins And Needles(In My Heart)/ Precious Lord, Take My Hand/ Seaman's Blues/ Searching For A Soldier's Grave/ Softly And Tenderly/ Tennessee Border/ The Blind Child's Prayer/ The Old Country Church/ The Pale Horse And His Rider/ The Prodigal Son/ There's Nothing As Sweet As My Baby/ Thy Burdens Are Greater Than Mine/ Wait For The Light To Shine/ Wedding Bells/ When God Dips His Love In My Heart/ When The Fire Comes Down/ When The Saints Go Marching In/ Where He Leads Me/ Where The Soul Never Dies/ Why Should We Try Anymore/ You Blotted My Happy Schooldays 
Support musicians in need - join the Music Maker Relief Foundation

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 05:03:24 PM »
The NPR piece said they made the acetates because the guys were out on the road half of the week and the show was daily. So they would get stuff in the can for broadcast when they were out of town. Lucky, lucky.

Tags: Hank Williams 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal