collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Wow - but Bessie Smith spills fire and fury in Hateful Blues on Columbia Record 14023D. Talk about hymns of hate - Bessie sure is a him-hater on this record. The way she tells what she is going to do with her "butcher" will make trifling fellows catch express trains going at 60 miles an hour. The music is full of hate too. You can almost see hate drip from the piano keys. Every note is a half-note. No quarter for anyone - Chicago defender ad, July 1924

Linked Events

• Jerron Paxton House Concert, Sprakers, NY: April 13, 2018

Author Topic: Jerron Paxton House Concert in upstate NY  (Read 702 times)

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
Jerron Paxton House Concert in upstate NY
« on: March 26, 2018, 11:47:39 AM »
I'm delighted to be able to tell you that Jerron will be playing a house concert here in the Mohawk Valley of upstate NY on Friday, April 13th 2018

This will be completely unmissable so if you're within 100 miles of us or even further you should try to be here. Roland tells me he has had folks come to the house concerts from as far away as Maine, just for the music.

I've attached the concert flyer for more details.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 04:29:53 PM by Rivers »

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
Re: Jerron Paxton House Concert in upstate NY
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 06:48:06 AM »
The buzz is building... https://www.musae.me/rockytopconcertseries/experiences/428/blind-boy-paxton-brings-the-blues-to-rocky-top

I understand that Tenali Hrenak will be doing an agent-sanctioned podcast and interview that night, so we will get to see the process when done by a professional and maybe you'll get a slice of internet fame too :P

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
Re: Jerron Paxton House Concert in upstate NY
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 06:51:24 PM »
It was a great night. Jerron filled the place with music and laughter, what a great guy. His long set went from blues to oldtime to ragtime to tin pan alley, punctuated by stories and improv banter. He had the audience totally blown away by the end. He switched between old time banjo, guitar, harmonica and piano and was a natural master of all of them.

Jerron took part in the jam session that followed. Highlight for me was duetting with him on Hoagy Carmichael's Hong Kong Blues, Jerron on piano & vocal, me on attempted harmony vocal, since I happen to know all the words. The piano's action and slight out-of-tuneiness would have been a challenge for anyone but Jerron just got the feel of it and plowed on through and it was great, great stuff.

I drove home slightly blown away, thinking "WTF just happened?" BTW Jerron set me straight on something. His name is pronounced "Jerron", accent is on the second syllable. Don't miss him if he's playing somewhere near you.

Many thanks to Roland & Janet Vinyard for organizing and hosting yet another fabulous musical night.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 07:10:05 PM by Rivers »

Tags: Jerron Paxton 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal