collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Now go on gal, don'tcha take me for no fool, I'm not gonna quit you pretty mama while the weather's cool - Luke Jordan, Cocaine Blues

Author Topic: Turntable for 33 and 78  (Read 6549 times)

Offline bnemerov

Re: Turntable for 33 and 78
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2013, 02:11:23 PM »
misterjones wrote:  I don't think - though I'll have to look into it further - that I can simply slip the Shure N78S or Shure M97xE styli into the cartridge that comes with the Technica turntable.

misterjones,
Shure you can (sorry; couldn't resist)--as long as the shafts match up to the one that comes on the stylus provided with the turntable.
Like I said. some shafts are round and some are diamond shape (in cross-section).

best,
bruce

And Mr. O'Muck----them windup phonographs are what'll put grey in your grooves (and your records' too)!  ;)

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2013, 04:10:06 PM »
I have the Shure M97xE in my AR--it's a solid unit. The shaft is diamond shaped. Scroll down a bit in the following link/page and you'll see the interchange info for Shure. There are also Grado options, as well as Rek-O-Kut styli for Grado cartridges.

http://www.esotericsound.com/CartStyli.htm

You can buy the Shure 97 cart and N78S needle at Amazon for $100.  The Shure M78S cart w/stylus is $55. If an extra cartridge shell isn't too expensive, I'd get it, install the M78S cart and then swap the shell/cart combos instead of just the styli. The styli are delicate relative to the shell/cart combos.  (--Might have to adjust the tracking force a little, though). All it takes is one slip up and you're back ordering a replacement from Amazon. It's your call, but give it some thought.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 04:18:42 PM by Stuart »

Offline nobocaster

• Hot Dog!
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2013, 04:15:05 PM »
I have a Califone.  Do such players provide better sound for 78s than a modern turntable with a 78 cartridge/stylus?

No, not a better sound.  Totally acceptable and enjoyable for me though. 

My friend has some sort of nice set up with a modern player, multiple stylus widths he can switch out, and a whole bunch of graphic eq stuff he puts it through.  He gets a great sound out of records that are in good condition, and reduces surface noise quite a bit.  With records that are in poor condition to begin with, well they just sound like really beat up records coming through nice speakers.  They might sound better than my set-up, but not always.  Some of the most beat up, surface-noisy records I have sound best on the acoustic crank-up player. 

On my Newcomb, I can reduce surface noise a bit by adjusting the treble and bass knobs.  I record stuff straight to my computer and to tape through the headphone jack.  I'm not trying to achieve archival quality, just listening, sharing, and enjoying.

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2013, 07:49:03 PM »
Here ya Go! :D

http://www.esotericsound.com/turntableA.htm

After Guitars these kinds of things are my inanimate lust objects of choice. :P
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 07:52:29 PM by Mr.OMuck »
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2013, 08:02:30 PM »

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2013, 08:05:15 PM »
And my favorite brand of cartridge:

http://www.needledoctor.com/Grado-78C-Cartridge

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2013, 08:24:11 PM »

Offline misterjones

« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2013, 10:55:58 AM »
If an extra cartridge shell isn't too expensive, I'd get it, install the M78S cart and then swap the shell/cart combos instead of just the styli. The styli are delicate relative to the shell/cart combos.  (--Might have to adjust the tracking force a little, though). All it takes is one slip up and you're back ordering a replacement from Amazon. It's your call, but give it some thought.

I won't be changing back and forth a lot, but I see your point.  A headshell is only about $25, and the youtube videos indicate that a stylus doesn't always slide out with ease.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #53 on: September 27, 2013, 11:24:27 AM »
Mr. J: The suggestion is based on my own experience--and clumsiness---many years ago. I was replacing the stylus on my Shure V15 Mark(?) about 35+ years ago. I had driven 100 miles or so RT to get a new one. Had the shell off and lying flat my desk and just slipped putting the new one in and bent the stylus. I was taking my time and being extra careful. As the song says, it was nobody's fault but mine. No outside factors, just a slip under controlled conditions. Not a good feeling, but it wasn't like I dropped a rare Tommy Johnson 78 I had just purchased on eBay. Anyway, got a replacement sometime later and all went well. Hopefully, this has not and will not ever happen to anyone else. Just sharing my mistake--one I never thought I'd make.

Offline misterjones

« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2013, 12:08:27 PM »
Thanks.  I can always buy the single cartridge and two styli and see how changing them out works.  Here's a video on changing catridges and needles I found helpful (which also indicates a potential difficulty in removing a stylus):

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2013, 01:56:05 PM »
Thanks for posting the YT vid. The actual install is quite simple. My only concern would be as your LP and 78 collection increases, so might the frequency of styli swaps. But it (doing what I did) is a problem that may never happen. My suggestion wasn't meant to be a pontification, just something to think about based on my own experience. Like I said, it's your call. Let circumstances and budget considerations dictate.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 02:40:07 PM by Stuart »

Offline misterjones

« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2013, 08:49:30 AM »
I thought about it, and I like the idea of an extra headshell.  Strikes me as a bit more convenient for switching back and forth between LPs and 78s.  So I finally decided to pull the rip cord on the Technica turntable, an extra headshell, and the two Shure cartridges (microgroove and wide groove).  I'm off to the races.  I think I'll ask for the Mosaic LP set of Monk at the It Club for the upcoming birthday (provided they don't sell out before then). 

Anyone have recommendations for blues LPs?

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2013, 03:18:11 AM »
Anyone have recommendations for blues LPs?

As mentioned before on this illustrious forum - honestjons.com. They offer vinyl at sensible prices and I am sure they will ship around the world. I have always found their service impeccable.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2013, 08:40:12 AM »
No specific recommendations per se, but you could listen to the Juke and if something grabs you, check Stefan's site to see what is available by the artist and in what format. Then it's off to see if there are any new vinyl pressings available, and if not,  checking eBay and

http://www.gemm.com/c/search.pl?field=CATEGORY&wild=blues&media_format=18

is probably the next step.

http://www.wirz.de/music/american.htm
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 08:44:22 AM by Stuart »

Offline Papa Pea Vine Patton

• Howdy!
« Reply #59 on: October 04, 2013, 06:50:32 PM »
I don't have the Audio-Technica but I've heard some very, very sounding  good 78 transfers via YouTube when that turntable was in use.

Tags: turntable 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal