collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
"Listen!!!" - Sonny Stitt's response to a young pianist backing him who asked what chord substitutions he was using on a well-known jazz standard.

Author Topic: Song Of The Moment: the schedule for 2015  (Read 16719 times)

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
Song Of The Moment: the schedule for 2015
« on: April 30, 2015, 03:18:18 PM »
Starting the week ending May 8th, we'll try a little thing I'm calling "song of the moment." We'll present a CB related song, essentially with a view towards getting weeniedom interested in listening to it and perhaps playing it, if you don't already. Here's the schedule we have so far:

weekparticipant (future) / topic (past)
8-MayThe Greyhound Bus
22-MayPal of Mine - Blind Willie McTell
5-JunI Got Mine - Frank Stokes
19-JunRed Cross Store
3-JulIn The Jailhouse Now
17-JulThe Venerable Pallet
31-JulDiamond Joe
14-AugRoll And Tumble
28-AugNobody Knows You
11-SepMean ol' Frisco, its antecedents and descendants
25-SepBottle It Up/Step It Up And Go
9-OctCrow Jane
23-OctCome Back Baby
6-NovMy Bucket's Got A Hole In It/You Can't Get In
20-NovLooking for the Bully of the Town
4-DecWhen The Saints
18-DecSitting On Top Of The World

If you'd like to contribute, just drop me a PM or respond to this thread and we'll get you a date.

Formatting your SOTM post:

1) start a new thread in the Back Porch

2) title the new thread using the following format:

SOTM <date>: <topic>

The <date> is the date you were assigned and <topic> is whatever you decide to post as your topic.

Try to post no earlier than the Monday of the week you were assigned and no later than the date itself. There's no actual penalty for early or late posting - we're just trying to keep a little  momentum.

Content and expectations:

Topics are neither pre-assigned nor approved. In general, anything you find interesting enough to write about will probably be interesting to read, think about and play. If you want to ensure that your topic will not be taken by someone else, feel free to contact the other participants to coordinate.

You might want to consider having a 'backup topic,' just in case. If you need ideas for a topic or help with content in any way, feel free to reach out to me.

Attachments and links:

When creating a post, you'll notice a link for "Attachments and other options" below the editing window. After you click on it, you'll see a browse button and from there, you can attach an MP3 or other file for your topic. The limit for the attachment size is just about 1MB, so compress aggressively when posting audio.

A word of caution: SAVE your text in notepad or some other text processor before attaching audio if you're not 100% positive of the attachment file size. If your file is too big and you try to submit the post, the forum software will HAPPILY tell you the attachment was too big, the post will fail and you will lose ALL of your text. You have been warned. CTRL + C is your friend.

Attachments will not show up in the post until published. Previewing the post will not show the attachment.

Youtube links:

Always use the link that youtube formats from the "Share" tab on the video page. You'll need to follow these steps:

1) copy the Share tab link from youtube
2) paste the link into the body of your post
3) remove the "s" from https:// in the link (the forum software doesn't like it)

From there, continue editing and post when ready. Previewing the post should confirm the link is embedded correctly. If you just see the link text rather than the video, something is wrong, so re-read the steps above and then if it still doesn't pan out, ask for help.

That's it!

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
Re: Song of the moment: the schedule for 2015
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 02:35:18 PM »
Thanks to Mr. O'muck and Old Man Ned for volunteering! Take a look at the schedule and grab your spot!

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
Re: Song of the moment: the schedule for 2015
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 05:52:11 PM »
harriet is in for 25-September...  thanks, harriet!

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
Re: Song Of The Moment: the schedule for 2015
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 01:09:29 PM »
I've updated the guidelines for the Song Of The Moment posts based on a few conversations I've had recently - please post any questions here. Thanks!

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 04:58:25 PM »
Thanks to Pan for volunteering for 18-Dec!

Only 4 more dates in 2015...  get your spot! :)

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 10:13:55 AM »
The SOTM post for 5-June is a bit late, but GhostRider is working on it and should have it posted in the next day or so - patience brings rewards! :)

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 06:18:34 AM »
Just a reminder that there are three more spots left in 2015. If you enjoy the SOTM posts, please step up and contribute to the momentum! Lurkers and non-players welcome!

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 04:52:43 AM »
Another bump for the three spots left in 2015:

6-Nov   ???
20-Nov   ???
4-Dec   ???

Takers?

Offline Suzy T

• Howdy!
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 11:32:53 AM »
I'd be up for doing Nov. 20.  How about Bully of the Town for a song?  Or has that already been done?

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2015, 07:50:03 PM »
You're in, Suzy!  Old Man Ned has heroically volunteered for a SECOND tour of duty on the 4th of December, even before he completes his first (coming up soon). That's a great idea for a topic! The complete list of topics covered so far is in the list at the top of this thread, and if you want to ensure no one is already working on that, consider reaching out to a few of the upcoming contributors to coordinate.

Just one more date in 2015 - 6-Nov...  who's got it?

Offline Lastfirstface

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2015, 06:45:56 AM »
I'll take it.

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2015, 12:28:11 PM »
Fantastic, Lastfirstface - you're in! Thanks!

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2015, 04:37:58 PM »
Hi all - we have an unexpected vacancy for the 25th of September, the next SOTM... any takers?

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2015, 05:00:25 PM »
Hi all - we have an unexpected vacancy for the 25th of September, the next SOTM... any takers?

Well I guess I might be able to come up with an idea, unless someone else is more willing and prepared to jump in. It'll, of course, ruin my plans for december. :)

Cheers

Pan

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2015, 04:33:10 PM »
Hi Pan - would you be interested in swapping your date or adding the 25th of Sep?

Essentially, if we can't find any takers for the 25th, we'll have to punt as I've got my head in some other stuff at the moment.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 04:45:41 PM by frankie »

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2015, 09:53:42 PM »
Hi Pan - would you be interested in swapping your date or adding the 25th of Sep?

Essentially, if we can't find any takers for the 25th, we'll have to punt as I've got my head in some other stuff at the moment.

I'll do the 25th. If someone want's to take the december date it's fine by me. If not, I'll just do both.

Cheers

Pan

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2015, 02:31:53 PM »
Sounds good Pan! Thanks!  I've switched you from 18-Dec to 25-Sep.

That gives someone the opportunity to take 18-Dec as their date since we now have a vacancy...  come on and step up!

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2015, 05:05:32 AM »
Hi everyone - I've not heard back from eaglerockindaddy on today's SOTM (23-Oct). If nothing has been posted by this evening (EST), I have a topic that I can post.

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2015, 09:52:21 AM »
Any takers for the 18th? It's easier than it looks, and so satisfying once you've done it!

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2015, 04:06:49 AM »
Bumping again for the 18th...  it would be wonderful to have a new contributor take the reins for this last one of 2015!

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2015, 12:09:37 PM »
One last bump for the 18th - I just know there's one in you!

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2015, 03:44:15 PM »
I'd just add that it seems to me that it is not necessary to choose songs for which you need to find a long list of versions of for this - the way many folks have done so far (not that's there anything wrong with that  :P). Treating a singular tune in with some other approach is totally cool as well.

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2015, 04:36:02 PM »
Well said, Uncle Bud...  the only criteria for the SOTM is that you find it interesting enough to bring up and that it be related to CB in some way.

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2015, 06:09:25 AM »
I know I said "last", but that was a figure of speech.

In all seriousness, I would like to encourage anyone who has enjoyed the SOTM posts in any way but has not yet contributed to take a crack at it.

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2015, 09:33:15 AM »
Hey Frank,

I just looked at the wikipedia entry for a well known song I'm sure a lot of Weenies have interest in and it shouldn't be too much trouble to cull an interesting post from it. It has been well recorded by many artist in several styles through rock and roll, so there should be a ton of youtube examples, including quite a few from the prewar era setting the tune to different lyrics. So sign me up for Dec. 18th. May not be until the end of the day (west coast time) but I have that day off, so should have some free time to work it up.

Wax
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2015, 07:45:39 PM »
Go for it, John - thanks for volunteering!

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2016, 07:49:52 PM »
So - was this a worthy endeavor in 2015? I'm curious as to whether people found this interesting enough to pursue in 2016...  if so, what changes would you make, if any...  was the timing too frequent/infrequent? It won't hurt my feelings if you didn't find it interesting enough to want to contribute or participate even by reading a post...  I really would like to get reactions to the experience and to put together a direction for 2016.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2016, 08:22:09 PM »
Hi Frank,
I've quite enjoyed the Song of the Moment since you introduced it last May.  I've enjoyed the educational aspect, hearing versions of the songs I'd not heard before, just seeing what songs people select, and especially, perhaps, when people post their own versions of the songs in question.  I would be happy to see it keep going, and can't think of any modifications to the format that seem necessary from my point of view.  It's possible that once a month would be less onerous to keep going, and in the natural course of things, some songs end up being discussed/viewed/contributed to more than others, but that's just an indication of where peoples' interests lie.  I think it was a great idea, and has played out really well thus far.
all best,
Johnm
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 06:11:35 AM by Johnm »

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2016, 02:36:02 AM »
Keep it going. It has been a fine feature.

Sent from my KFARWI using Tapatalk

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2016, 03:50:47 AM »
Agreed, a very enlightening series of discussions and I'd vote it should definitely continue. Like John, I particularly like hearing the new individual takes on a given song.

Offline Lastfirstface

« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2016, 05:33:54 AM »
I had fun doing mine and I'd be happy to another at some point. I hope we can keep it going.

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2016, 12:19:21 PM »
I'm hoping for a 2016 edition. I think a cool feature could be that the person who starts the SOTM topic should post his own version of the song. In this way it will always be a song he really knows well and clearly loves. Like John said it's cool when people post their own versions of the songs but I didn't notice that much other than myself and maybe 3 or 4 other members at this forum.

That being said I should do one too probably.....
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 12:37:00 PM by harry »

Offline onewent

• Mr. So and So
    • vintagebluesguitars.com
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2016, 12:59:04 PM »
Frank, I enjoyed it a lot, for the same reasons posted by John M and others.  I'd say if there's interest to keep it going, let's do it.  tom

Offline harriet

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2016, 02:37:59 PM »
I learned alot from the 2015 and would like it to continue. 

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2016, 03:46:25 PM »
Well, I'm glad you all liked it. I'm game to organize it again for 2016, but I think if there's going to be a 2017 season, it would be nice to pass the baton at that point.

Monthly sounds kinda good, doesn't it? And doing that means we don't have to change the "M" - bonus!

I'll start another thread and we'll see how many volunteers we get.

Offline Old Man Ned

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2016, 02:24:32 PM »
Glad to see SOTM is up and running for 2016.  If folk got as much out of the posts as I did posting my couple of spots, it would have been well worth while.  Thanks for organising, Frankie, much appreciated.

Tags: SOTM 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal