collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
He was a good cook too. He'd near cook his ass off! - Hammie Nixon, on hoboing with Jimmie Rodgers, from The Voice of the Blues

Author Topic: Chicago Folk Images (Eds: Ronald Cohen & Bob Reisman)  (Read 2621 times)

Offline Bunker Hill

Chicago Folk Images (Eds: Ronald Cohen & Bob Reisman)
« on: November 28, 2009, 11:08:26 AM »
Courtesy of Bob Riesman, I'm now the proud owner of this book of Raeburn Flerlage's photos of the sixties music scene, mostly taken at the Old Town School of Folk Music or the University of Chicago Folk Festival, but also in clubs and elsewhere 1959-1969. Apart from numerous old-time country singers, bluegrass and Cajun bands or "movers and shakers" such as Studs Terkel, Moe Asch, Archie Green, there are many photos of interest to Weenie Campbell members - Fred McDowell, Washboard Sam with Sunnyland Slim, Ed & Lonnie Young, Big Joe, Gus Cannon, Ransom Knowling with Art Hodes, Son House, Bessie Jones, Robert, Shaw, Billy Boy Arnold, Lee Jackson, Walter Horton, and many more. Three quarters of them I'd never seen before and and those that I had I was unaware they were shot by Flerlage bringing about "so that's who took that" moments. The photos speak volumes in all manner of ways and I've been absorbed in it for hours. There's a lengthy and informative essay by Cohen on the life and times of Flerlage. Published by ECW Press, Toronto, 190pps, $24.95 (Cdn)/$24.95 (US).

PS: Bob's covering note mentions that his Big Bill Broonzy biography is to be published by the University of Chicago Press Spring 2011 (if all goes well)! See elsewhere for discussion.

Offline doctorpep

Re: Chicago Folk Images (Eds: Ronald Cohen & Bob Reisman)
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 05:46:30 PM »
Fantastic news, especially the Broonzy biography! I just ordered a paperback version of Watermann's "Between Midnight And Day".

I'll have to check out Chicago Folk Images!
"There ain't no Heaven, ain't no burning Hell. Where I go when I die, can't nobody tell."

http://www.hardluckchild.blogspot.com/

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 05:58:24 PM »
BH, if you don't mind, what is the text accompanying the photos like?  Short caption, long caption, paragraph, photos set in continuous text, or something else?

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 10:35:25 PM »
In the main short captions, on occasion accompanied by a quote from Flerlage.

An arbitrary opening has fallen at - Joan Baez and Horton Barker, October 18, 1961, Mandel Hall, University of Chicago.

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 02:23:07 AM »
Thanks!

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 11:48:19 AM »
A postscript from Bob Reisman.

For a listing of the 200 or so photos by Raeburn "Ray" Flerlage that are available for purchase as prints, go to www.cacheagency.com, and click on Ray's name under the "Photographers & Collections" heading. Contact information for Helen Ashford, the agent who handles Ray's work, is listed under "Contact."

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 01:59:23 PM »
I do believe that Santa is sending me a copy for Xmas.
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Tags: books 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal