collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Music is your own experience, your thoughts, your wisdom. If you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn - Charlie Parker

Author Topic: Rev. Edward W. Clayborn  (Read 3198 times)

LoneWolf

Rev. Edward W. Clayborn
« on: December 23, 2006, 11:19:06 AM »
Do any of you guys like his music? He's one of my personal favorites. I play lots of his songs too.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2006, 03:19:25 AM by LoneWolf »

Offline robertbidochon

Re: Rev. Edward W. Clayborn
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 03:05:22 AM »
I never heard Edward Clayborn's music but I think he used slide and I'm very curious, could you give us some extract of his music?

LoneWolf

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 03:19:01 AM »
He was a slide genius.

I have his "complete recorded works", but you can also listen some of his tracks on www.pandora.com

Very recommended.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2006, 06:11:57 PM »
Hi all,
The JSP set, "Blind Willie Johnson And The Guitar Evangelists" includes, in addition to all Blind Willie Johnson's recordings, all of Edward W. Clayborn's, and the price is certainly right.  Clayborn was a wonderful player, as Lone Wolf states.
All best,
Johnm

downthedirtroad

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2006, 09:12:31 PM »
i would hesitate to call him a one trick pony, but he definitely does have a limited amount of styles and song structures (not to say he lacks in skill or talent, i still have him on my ipod).  but i still shelled out the money for his document cd, before i realised jsp had a set that filled in every gap imaginable (i hate it when these things happen). anyways, any other opinions, suggestions?  has any one heard his remaining recordings on the taggart set?

while we're on the subject of guitar evangelists, does anyone have any recomendations regarding blind joe taggart?  i find his recordings a little hard to tread, although that one paramount that he did i really like (been listening all the day/ going to rest where jesus is).

mississippijohnhurt1928

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 05:35:07 PM »
His complete Recorded works is outstanding and the only album you'll ever need of his recordings.

Here is a link to some 30-second samples of his music:

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Recorded-1926-1928-Edward-Clayborn/dp/B000000J6F/sr=1-1/qid=1171416943/ref=sr_1_1/103-3772139-0621401?ie=UTF8&s=music

« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 05:39:38 PM by mississippijohnhurt1928 »

Offline tenderfoot84

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 02:13:40 AM »
downthedirtroad,

i only have blind joe taggart vol. 1 from document but some of the absolute standouts are the blues sides

coal river blues
fourteenth st women

and the 'guitar evangeslist' sides

god's gonna separate the wheat from the tares
take your burden to the lord and leave it there
the storm is passing over
there's a hand writing on the wall (with a very young josh white)
religion is something within you

along of course with the two you mention.

i love the way on some of his tracks he would really rrrrrrrrroll his r's. like when he sings 'courrrage my soul, as we journey on' on the storm is passing over or 'gods gonna separrrate the wheat from the tares hallelleu'.

i can't think of another singer of the time who did this so well.
Cheerybye,
David C

mississippijohnhurt1928

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2007, 05:57:59 AM »
Take a listen to Joseph Spence's "Out On The Rolling Sea" And You'll Hear Some "R" Rolling.

Offline tenderfoot84

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2007, 06:58:20 AM »
i'll look it out.

i love his "singing" but i'm usually too busy dancing too pay much attention to anything other than his playing. i think his 1958 folkways record has to be one of the greatest albums ever, it's just solid gold from start to finish.
Cheerybye,
David C

LoneWolf

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2007, 07:03:24 AM »

downthedirtroad

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2007, 06:28:33 PM »
thanks for the tips on blind joe taggart.  it made easier listening. 

However, has anyone had the opportunity to hear the second volume of blind joe taggart on document (which coincidentially, includes cuts from Rev. Clayborn).  it seems to coincide with the lion's share of his paramount sides, so it might make for rough listening.

Offline zoner

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2007, 10:28:30 AM »
Rev. Clayborn rules!!!!!!!!!!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal