collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I picked his head, I picked his feet, I picked his body but it wasn't fit to eat - Luke Jordan, Pick Poor Robin Clean

Author Topic: Favorite singers  (Read 36888 times)

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
Re: Favorite singers
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2005, 05:43:40 AM »
Top of my list has to be Son House.  The acapella rendition of John the Revelator still sends hivers down my spine whenever I hear it.

One other thought, possibly blurring genre boundaries a little, is John Lee Hooker who had a fantastically expressive voice.  I love his early acoustic stuff, for the rhythm and growling passion of it all!

Offline BlindSockeyeSalmon

• Sugar in the Gourd: Old-Time, All the Time
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2005, 06:05:47 AM »
In addition to names already mentioned, I will add early Lightnin' Hopkins and the inimitable Joseph Spence.
http://sugarinthegourd.com
Old-Time, All the Time

Offline ryan

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2005, 02:08:17 PM »
short list of fav's
-mjh
-Joe Callicot
-mance lipscomb
-skip James
-rev. davis
I also like the one track I heard by bobby grant on the paramount masters called Nappy Head Blues.  Is there anything else by this guy?  For newer artists I love Kelly Joe Phelps.

Ryan

hylaphone

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2005, 04:30:20 PM »
just wanted to add three all time favorites i hadn't seen listed yet:

Louie Lasky
Henry Thomas
and the inimitable John Miller

Offline andrescountryblues

• Howdy!
    • Countryblues en Argentina
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2005, 07:13:03 AM »
1. Charley Patton (He is just my favorite blues artist)
2. Son House
3. Tommy Johnson
4. Leadbelly

To me they are the more intense and expressive (and that's what I want in a blues singer)

Andres

Offline Blue Poodle

• Kill it, Kid.
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2005, 07:46:36 AM »
Josh White.  He had a beautiful voice and sang very expressively.
All the world loves a lover, but a lover doesn't always love love.

Emma Lee

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2005, 11:50:13 AM »
Not to forget the yumptious group vocals of the Memphis Jug Band (like in K.C. Moan, nice call and response with those lonesome train sounds). And the vocals of Jim &/or Andrew Baxter (Bamalong Blues). Also the women - Bessie Smith (Nobody Knows You When You're Down & Out), and Hattie Hudson (Doggone My Good Luck Soul). And your Euro-Americans like Emry Arthur (the spare sounding Reuben Oh Reuben). And many others... :)

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2005, 12:39:09 PM »
Welcome Emma Lee!

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2005, 12:03:02 PM »
Hi all,
I have a couple more to add to the list--the amazing Sam Collins (listen to "I Want To Be Like Jesus In My Heart") and the two kings of the Itta Bena headtone:  Ishmon Bracey and Rube Lacy.
All best,
Johnm

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2005, 01:19:42 PM »
Hi:

I'll add another. I really like the voice of Kokomo Arnold (as well as him being  being a great (maybe the greatest) slide player in CB).

He was quite an anomaly in the late '30's, a very good selling solo bluesman in an era of guitar-piano duests and small combos (similar to BB Fuller), and quite an influence of Robert Johnson ( and Sam Michell).

With all due respect, and 'though I like his tunes a lot, one I'd like to vote off the list is Robert Wilkins. That nasal voice just doesn't due it for me.

Alex

froyall

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2005, 02:54:00 PM »
Not blues, but arguably "bluesy," I would add Roscoe Holcombe, Bill Monroe and Ralph Stanley.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2005, 05:53:23 PM »
Hi all,
Great choices, Fred.  Roscoe, Bill and Ralph are all great singers, bluesy as you say, and Roscoe and Bill were great Blues singers, too.  In addition, I think Bill Monroe is much the best Blues mandolin player I have ever heard.  He was an all-round powerhouse, and a super-strong musician in every way. 
Re Wilkins, I reckon you can remove him from your own list of favorites, Alex, but "the" list?  Seems like he belongs there as long he is among anyone's favorites.  He's certainly one of mine.
All best,
Johnm

Sliver

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2005, 06:36:03 PM »
i'll second that.  i find acapella stuff in general tends to have a different osrt of emotional impact, espiecally if done well and with modal backers.  that's a great song.

i also like skip james' voice

Top of my list has to be Son House.  The acapella rendition of John the Revelator still sends hivers down my spine whenever I hear it.

One other thought, possibly blurring genre boundaries a little, is John Lee Hooker who had a fantastically expressive voice.  I love his early acoustic stuff, for the rhythm and growling passion of it all!

Offline Rockdale

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2005, 05:24:59 PM »
Hey everybody,

I was just reviewing this topic and I have a few of my favorite blues singers to add in no particular order....

Little Hat Jones
         Memphis Slim ( very surprised not to see him on here )
         John Lee "Sonny Boy" Williamson
         Rice Miller ( not country blues but still a hell of a voice )
         Doc Watson
         Robert Johnson ( on "Four Until Late" )

There are so many more that could be listed but that's all I have for now. Let me know what ya'll think.

Kenny

thehook

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2005, 08:09:50 PM »
Hey everybody,

?I was just reviewing this topic and I have a few of my favorite blues singers to add in no particular order....

?Little Hat Jones
?Memphis Slim ( very surprised not to see him on here )
?John Lee "Sonny Boy" Williamson
?Rice Miller ( not country blues but still a hell of a voice )
?Doc Watson
?Robert Johnson ( on "Four Until Late" )

There are so many more that could be listed but that's all I have for now. Let me know what ya'll think.

?Kenny

good choice on the Doc man, I got to meet him in chicago about a year and half ago. Shook his hand and told him that old time music and blues was all I listened to and that he made me play guitar along with a few others. Got pictures and an autograph on his 3 cd legacy set
« Last Edit: April 18, 2005, 02:36:20 PM by Johnm »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal