Country Blues > Country Blues Lyrics

Lonnie Coleman - Old Rock Island Blues

(1/1)

uncle bud:
Lonnie Coleman recorded two songs in Atlanta in 1929, Old Rock Island Blues and Wild About My Loving, playing what sounds like a banjo mandolin and accompanied by an unknown guitar player. That was it, sadly, since he is a very fun player. Old Rock Island Blues in played out of G position, though pitched a bit low on the Document recording I have, I believe.

Here's what I've got for the lyrics so far. Some rough spots. Not sure about "fare" in the first verse, though that's what it sounds like.  Here is "Old Rock Island Blues":

Old Rock Island Blues - Lonnie Coleman

I've got the Rock Island blues, waiting for the Rock Island fare
I've got the Rock Island blues, I'm waiting for the Rock Island fare
I took the Rock Island train and take a Rock Island ride somewhere

[I've got a free transportation], lookin' for the train to ride
[I've got a free transportation], lookin' for the train to ride
I need to ride the Rock Island till I'm perfectly satisfied

If you ever been down you know just how I feel
Said if you ever been down you might know just how I feel
If you ever been down you know just how I feel

I've got the Rock Island blues, waiting for the Rock Island...
I've got the Rock Island blues, I'm waiting for the Rock Island fare
I take  the Rock Island train and take a [hometown] ride somewhere

Well I'm goin away, train comin', get on board, ooo
I'm goin away, train comin', get on board
...baby, hang crepe on your door

I've got the rickets, got the rackets, and my baby's got the Mobile blues
I've got the Rock Island blues and I don't know what to do

One thing about these women I cannot understand
One thing about the women I cannot understand
All wearin' short dresses tryin' to fool a working man

I've got the Rock Island blues and I don't know what to do

Said if anyone should ask you who composed this song
Said if anyone should ask you who composed this song
Just tell 'em Lonnie Coleman done been to your town and gone

edited to pick up correction from JohnM

Johnm:
Hi uncle bud,
I agree with you about how appealing the two Lonnie Coleman titles are.  I would note, as well, that his time both as an individual player and in ensemble with his guitar-playing accompanist, is spectacular, in a class with the Two Poor Boys, and that's a pretty small class.
All best,
Johnm

uncle bud:
Hi John,

Yeah, there are some moments where Lonnie Coleman goes up the neck in Rock Island and really digs in, after playing along with his vocal for a lot of the song, and it is clear that he is not stepping off into space, is very much in command. He's got a very percussive sound and really drives the tune.

Johnm:
Hi uncle bud,
I finally got to the same place where my copy of this song was, and I think what you have for the lyrics is fine, though I think Lonnie omits "fare" at the end of the first line of the fourth verse.  All the rest sounds right on to me.
The back-up guitarist on "Old Rock Island Blues" uses an approach that you can hear on a lot of Old-Time fiddle back up from the same era that this recording was made.  Sometimes he'll hit "boom-chang boom-chang" in a measure, alternating between a bass note and a treble strum twice, but just as often, or more often, he'll hit "boom-chang-chang-chang", what I think of as "one down and three up".  You can find the same accenting patterns in the piano accompaniments to Stephen Foster songs in the original sheet music.  I don't know if it coincided with an accenting pattern utilized by a popular dance of the era, but it seems plausible that that might be the case.
All best,
Johnm

uncle bud:
Hi John - I had noticed that about the guitar accompaniment but couldn't really comment on it authoritatively, being a relative neophyte with old-time styles. It does makes for an interesting rhythmic blend with Coleman's mandolin pounding out mostly eighth notes. I could imagine many a guitar player wanting to join in the excitement, but this one plays it cool. Thanks for the review of the lyrics.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version