Country Blues > Weenie Campbell Main Forum

Musicians who recorded under more than one name

(1/11) > >>

Johnm:
Hi all,
In working through the various songs recorded by Walter Vinson under his own name, or Leroy Carter, or "Sam Hill from Louisville", or Walter Jacobs it struck me that we've never had a thread in which we listed blues musicians who recorded under more than one name, and then listing those names.  I thought it might be kind of fun to do such a thread.
I'll consider that I've started the ball rolling.  If we confine ourselves to one musician and his/her recording monickers per post, more folks will be able to participate.  Any takers?
All best,
Johnm

dj:
I'll start with one of my favorites.  Robert Lee McCollum recorded as Robert Lee McCoy and Robert Nighthawk.

jpeters609:

--- Quote from: dj on July 31, 2020, 05:45:49 PM ---I'll start with one of my favorites.  Robert Lee McCollum recorded as Robert Lee McCoy and Robert Nighthawk.

--- End quote ---

And as “Peetie’s Boy” for his two Decca 78s, including the great “Friar’s Point Blues.”

Lyndvs:
Blind Willie McTell recorded under his own name and as  Blind Sammie for Columbia,Georgia Bill for Okeh,Hot Shot Willie for Victor,Blind Willie for Vocalion and Bluebird,Barrelhouse Sammie for Atlantic and Pig & Whistle Red for Regal.

waxwing:
Per B&GR:

"Joe McCoy"
   "This artist never recorded under his own name, using instead the pseudonyms Kansas Joe, Big Joe, Hallelujah Joe, Mud Dauber Joe, Georgia Pine Boy, and Mississippi Mudder at various times. He also recorded many vocals with the Harlem Hamfats under the name Hamfoot Ham."
   "Though Memphis Minnie did have a brother-in-law named Joe Johnson, both aural evidence and the Victor files support that Victor and Bluebird sides credited to (Minnie) McCoy and (Joe) Johnson are in fact by Memphis. Minnie and Kansas Joe (McCoy). ... There is a strong possibility that the name Bill Wilber was also used as a pseudonym for Joe McCoy but this is not definite ... . Joe McCoy's real name is believed to be Wilber McCoy. It is also possible that Joe Williams on Vocalion 1457 is a pseudonym for Joe McCoy."

Wax

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version