collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I pulled all my songs out of my brain - Bukka White

Author Topic: Found picture - Woman with Guitar  (Read 1115 times)

Offline Shovel

Found picture - Woman with Guitar
« on: October 21, 2014, 06:36:52 AM »
I found a neat picture in an old small town antique mall near Dallas last week.  It was with a stack of pictures in one of those glass booths where they have to come open it up for you to thumb through the pictures.  So I did and in this bunch I found a picture from what looks to be around the 20s-40s with a serious looking medium framed African American woman in churchy garb standing in a front yard, looking at the camera with a very nice ornamental guitar held from the top and stood on the ground in one hand, and a bible in the other.  The photo was processed at a shop in Tyler TX.

I think it's a great, powerful picture with no need to be tied to any famous, infamous, or non-famous musicians.

That said, do we know of any similar musicians from East TX?  Gospelly guitarish African American females?

Pretty neat photo, nonetheless.  I hope to get it scanned in this weekend.

Edit:  Just scanned the photo, attached.  Apologies for the do it yourself watermark, I think you can still see the picture..
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 03:12:07 AM by Shovel »

Offline Lastfirstface

Re: Found picture - Woman with Guitar
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 11:24:43 AM »
When I think of female gospel singers from Texas, I think Arizona Dranes, but she was blind and played piano rather than guitar.

Offline tenderfoot84

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 11:35:04 AM »
L.V. Thomas?
Cheerybye,
David C

Offline Shovel

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 06:57:07 AM »
L.V. Thomas?

She doesn't have the long dreamy Jimi Hendrix fingers that LV had! 
\
I'm trying to get this scanned in right now.  Maybe some weenies can sleuth some more detail out of the picture, like guitar model, type of car in background, when the style of powerlines date to, etc to help date it.

Edit:  Just scanned the photo, attached.  Apologies for the do it yourself watermark, I think you can still see the picture..
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 03:12:36 AM by Shovel »

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 08:20:27 AM »
By her dress, she looks like she might be a member of some religious sect or order, or possibly a teacher.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Lastfirstface

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 03:07:42 PM »
That's a pretty unusual guitar. I don't think I've ever seen that shape/soundhole combination.

Offline hms

• Howdy!
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 03:17:31 AM »
The guitar has a touch of Mandolin about it.
I would also say definately religious, and the book in her hand the Bible.
h

Offline wreid75

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 12:37:45 PM »
Is that another Robert Johnson photo but this time in drag?  >:D  Not only did he age like milk he has very bad fashion sense.  Son and Willie needed to talk to him more and give him some of that positive reinforcement they were so good at.

Offline tinpanallygurl

• Howdy!
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 01:06:35 PM »
Is that another Robert Johnson photo but this time in drag?  >:D  Not only did he age like milk he has very bad fashion sense.  Son and Willie needed to talk to him more and give him some of that positive reinforcement they were so good at.

That is awesome, LMFAF.  Well played, well played.  Positive reinforcement!  I love it.

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2014, 10:35:05 AM »
That's a Hell of a watermark! Guaranteed to confuse any image finding software like Google image or Tin Eye. If you want people to research the image you shouldn't make it impossible to do so by normal means.
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Shovel

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 03:13:02 AM »
That's a Hell of a watermark! Guaranteed to confuse any image finding software like Google image or Tin Eye. If you want people to research the image you shouldn't make it impossible to do so by normal means.

Good point.  I'll repost when I have a better watermark.  Thanks for the help those who were able to contribute.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 03:14:03 AM by Shovel »

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal