collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I don't play by alphabet - Robert Belfour, in response to a PT05 question on what note he was playing

Author Topic: Brownie Mcghee discography  (Read 3143 times)

Offline dave stott

• Howdy!
Brownie Mcghee discography
« on: February 24, 2008, 02:33:07 PM »
All

The Roots and Blues compilation "The Complete Brownie Mcghee" covers all of his solo OKEH and Columbia recordings.

The Folkway years, 1945 - 1959 covers his recordings for Folkways...

I am wondering if there are any compilations covering Brownie's early recordings on BlueBird and the other labels?

Does anyone know if Chris Smith's book  "That's The Stuff", The Recordings Of Brownie Mcghee, Sonny Terry covers the early solo recordings??

Dave

Offline Bunker Hill

Re: Brownie Mcghee discography
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 07:47:48 AM »
It covers everything they ever recorded including work as accompanists. Off the top of my head can't think of any Bluebird recordings but I'm not near my records/books at present.

Offline dave stott

• Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 04:27:42 PM »
Hopefully I did not send you off on a wild chase...

I unintentionally typed Blue Bird, when I was in reality referring to the Red Robin recordings(robinson recording co)

Dave

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 07:57:53 AM »
Hopefully I did not send you off on a wild chase...

I unintentionally typed Blue Bird, when I was in reality referring to the Red Robin recordings(robinson recording co)
No you didn't, the minute I looked up the discography I half wondered whether or not you meant the Bobby Robinson label.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 10:56:50 AM »
Looking at the Red Robin sessions (1952-3) as given in Chris's discography there appear to be only two titles which feature Brownie taking the lead vocal (Don't Dog Your Woman/Daisy - Red Robin 111). The remainder of the sessions feature him as accompanying Jack Dupree (6 titles), Sandra Grimes (2 titles) and Sonny Terry (2 titles).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal