collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Frankie is one of the best vocal & guitar pieces ever, probably the best guitar recording ever. Rumor (i.e. Spottswood) has it that when this piece was played for Segovia, he couldn't believe there were not two guitars at work - John Fahey, on John Hurt

Author Topic: Them Quotes  (Read 2424 times)

Offline thumbstyle

Them Quotes
« on: June 02, 2004, 01:09:49 AM »
Hi All,

Just want to take a second to say how much enjoyment I'm getting out of the quote generator. The choice of quotes, plus how they are presented, is just superb. I forget -- do we have Mark Herman to thank for most of these? The quoted grabbed from various years at PT are especially good, pertinent, and inspirational! Thanks!

Dave

Offline Slack

• Administrator
Re: Them Quotes
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2004, 06:49:43 AM »
There were many contributors (FP and Mark being the major contributors if I recall) and Mark has been the compiler/keeper and formatter - which resulted in imparting that wry humor of his.   ;D

cheers,
slack

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2004, 01:59:04 PM »
One of my favorites came up again:

"Hound Dog came back with a rifle and said, "Hey, Brewer." And pointed the rifle--pow! Shot me right through the side. I said, "Hound Dog. What did you shoot me for?" And he shot me through this finger, and then he shot me through the shoulder. If that rifle hadn't jammed, he probably would have hurt me" - Brewer Phillips, memories of Hound Dog Taylor in a Living Blues interview

!!!

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2004, 12:53:04 PM »
Hi all,
Occasionally I have seen quotes from Big Dave McLean.? Apart from being who he is, who is he?
All best,
Johnm
« Last Edit: October 10, 2004, 11:12:42 PM by Johnm »

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2004, 01:31:27 PM »
HI John,

I think the short answer is: someone who Rivers heard in concert.  :D  (maybe Rivers, the compiler of the quotes, will elaborate).

Long answer here:
http://www.winnipegblues.com/mclean.htm

Never heard of him myself.

cheers,

Offline Bill Roggensack

• Not dead yet!
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2004, 05:47:48 PM »
... Big Dave McLean.  Apart from being who he is, who is he?

Dave is a colorful bluesman from Canada's home of seedy bars and a very active blues scene (albeit mostly electic) - Winnipeg, Manitoba. He spends his winters driving up and down the frozen and bleak byways of western Canada, bringing the real blues to those die-hard fans who turn out despite the inclement weather. Here is a link to some of his latest stuff on Stony Plain Records (right here in Edmonton) - the label that is also home to Ronnie Earl, Duke Robillard, and Maria Muldaur. Dave is fine singer and guitar player (killer on a National), and a very colorful character on stage - if you get a chance to see him live, make the effort. He has also done a very nice CD with Tim Williams called "Fellow Travellers". And yes, I am guilty of feeding the Big Dave quotes to Mark.

http://www.stonyplainrecords.com/sprecord/artists/mclean.html
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 05:20:35 PM by FrontPage »
Cheers,
FrontPage

Tags: quotes 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal