collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
After years of consideration I've come to the conclusion that, within limits, gear is more important as a topic of conversation than as a way of making music. It's just not that important - Chris Smither

Author Topic: Jerry's Records, Robert Johnson, R Crumb & a Cool T-Shirt  (Read 2095 times)

Offline HunkyPicker

Jerry's Records, Robert Johnson, R Crumb & a Cool T-Shirt
« on: January 11, 2014, 02:53:01 PM »
Don't know how many of you heard of a relatively recent find of a clean Vocalion 78 of Dust my Broom by Robert Johnson http://www.post-gazette.com/music/2012/11/16/Rare-Robert-Johnson-record-turns-up-at-Jerry-s-Records/stories/201211160170 at Jerry's Records.   

They started to play it every Saturday afternoon and I guess one thing must have led to another cause they seem to have wound up commissioning R. Crumb to do some art for them and they even have it on T-Shirts!   http://www.post-gazette.com/art-architecture/2013/02/27/Rare-78-spins-into-trade-with-Jerry-s-Records-for-drawing-by-R-Crumb/stories/201302270327

I owe nearly everything to which I now listen to the $1 used records that I began to buy from one of Jerry's stores way back in '81 when U.S. radio music died.   Radio was sanitized coast to coast as playlists were outsourced to NYC suits who knew the secret true music rotation to satisfy any target demographic... yeah, right.  Not me, and I suspect, not you either.

I post this only because some of you might like a Crumb T-Shirt as I like mine.  They might have some left and I have absolutely no idea how many were made. 
http://www.jerrysrecords.com/contact.htm

Disclaimer:  Not affiliated with Jerry's, Crumb or Robert Johnson except as a long time customer and fan.  Grinned when the T-Shirt came out of the laundry today and thought of posting this as I threw it on. 

If this is in anyway considered to be an advertisement please feel free to remove it.  I don't often visit and certainly do not want to violate any rules.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 05:25:47 PM by HunkyPicker »

Offline LucyStag

• Howdy!
Re: Jerry's Records, Robert Johnson, R Crumb & a Cool T-Shirt
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 07:14:01 PM »
I never knew the origin of that shirt! Jerry's is amazing.

Offline HunkyPicker

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 09:58:11 PM »
Yeah, we just love Jerry's.  I used to live in Boston and shops like that were everywhere.   I visited a few years ago and virtually none were left.  Gotta enjoy while it lasts.

Offline DanceGypsy

• Side Street Steppers
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 10:40:23 AM »
My wife and I met Jerry and his son Willie during the week between Christmas and New Year's, when our band was on tour in West Virginia.  We had to run up to Pittsburgh to pick up our washboard player's boyfriend at the airport, and wound up at Jerry's Records.  Then everybody fell in love.  We only had an hour to spend, so I bought a couple of 78s from Willie's shop and promised to return.

Vera and I came back on New Year's Eve day, and spent probably the best four hours we've ever spent in any record shop.  Willie had kraut and brats on the slow cooker, the beers and bottles flowed, and when it was all said and done we left with 4 t-shirts (one for each band member), two LP records, a modern ragtime 78, a vintage 78 carryiong case and SEVENTEEN awesome, incredible 78s, for which Willie would not accept any money - he just wouldn't take a penny!  I mean, how often does something like this happen?!?  These guys were just the most awesome, top notch people.

Here's a photo of Vera surrounded by just some of the loot they gave us that day...

Offline DanceGypsy

• Side Street Steppers
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 10:46:07 AM »
Oh yeah, and I wanted to correct the story of the origin of the R. Crumb drawing and shirt.

They actually traded a copy of Bogus Ben Covington's "I Heard The Voice Of A Pork Chop" for that drawing.

Jerry told me a story about how years ago, Crumb had come into the shop with another man.  After poking around for a while, the man comes up to the counter with a stack of 78s and inquired the price.  Jerry had recognized his famous patron, and suggested trading for a sketch, to which Crumb shot back, "Not worth a sketch!"  So they traded for money, the old-fashioned way, and that was that.  When they found the Covington 78 last year, they got back in touch with Crumb through email and wound up doing the deal.  The drawing shows them with the Robert Johnson record, but the trade was for the Bogus Ben 78, which Crumb now owns.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal