collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Good God, why doesn't that man yodel and be done with it? - A woman in the audience commenting on Peetie Wheatstraw's signature "ooh, well well", recounted by Teddy Darby, quoted in Paul Garon's The Devil's Son-In-Law

Author Topic: Pink Anderson's Tuning  (Read 5941 times)

junko

Pink Anderson's Tuning
« on: August 06, 2004, 05:27:26 AM »
I'm working on Pink's "I got Mine" and "Travelin' Man" - I believe its the same chord progression for both tunes.? Anyone know what tuning/capo/chords, etc. he's using?? Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2005, 10:28:14 AM by Johnm »

Yves

Re: Pink Anderson's Tuning
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2004, 09:17:22 AM »
Both in Standard tuning
Both key of C
Good luck
Yves

junko

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2004, 10:36:22 AM »
Wow, that's tricky.  Do you know if it's written out anywhere?

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2004, 10:44:29 AM »
Hi Junko,
These tunes are both played in standard tuning, but they are played in G.  Pink's turn-around which opens them starts on a C chord--C-C#-G-E7-A7-D7-G.  You can probably orient yourself to the verse accompaniments from there. 
All best,
Johnm

Offline Bob B

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2004, 01:07:19 PM »
Hi Junko

Ken Perlman has a book entitled Advanced Fingerstyle Guitar which has a transcription of Travelin' Man that is very reminiscent of Roy Bookbinder's version of the tune.  Some of the best lyrics in the genre!

Happy picking

Bob B

junko

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2004, 04:13:59 PM »
Starting to get a handle on it, thanks all for the assistance.

Offline Rockdale

Pink Anderson's Tuning
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2005, 06:32:19 PM »
  Hi everyone,

This is my first post and I think this is a great website. I just had a question about Pink Anderson. I've been listening to his album "Medicine Show Man Vol. 2" and I'm pretty sure he tunes about a step low but I haven't tried playing any of the songs. Is there anyone here that can give me some deeper insight into his guitar technique and tuning? It would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Kenny

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2005, 07:17:24 PM »
Hi Kenny,

Welcome to Weenie Campbell.   JUst gave a short listen just now and I'd say you are right - he's about a step low... standard tuning.  If you like Pink, Stefan Grossman has some video that is worth watching.  Pink has got these incredibly long spidery fingers .. and makes reaches mere mortals can only dream about. ;)

Cheers,
slack

Offline Rockdale

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2005, 07:33:17 PM »

Thanks for the reply Slack. It's good to know my ear isn't as bad as I think it is. I think I'll start messing with "Greasy Greens"....I love that song.

Kenny

thehook

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2005, 10:36:22 AM »
I am confused when people talk about tuning down in steps. Does this mean down one step instead of tuning mostly at 5th fret you go to 4th then 3rd for G or whatever?

would down a step be dgcfad? and what about half step from stand just sharps or something?

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2005, 12:51:02 PM »
Hi,
I have always used one step as the sum of two half-steps, with a half-step being synonomous with a semi-tone, so if Pink was tuned a whole step low, I would say he was tuned DGCFAD as you had it, John Hardy.  I just checked the CD, and that's where he is.  I've always thought of someone tuned D#G#C#F#A#D# as being tuned a half-step (semi-tone) low. 
All best,
Johnm

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2005, 01:11:53 PM »
Confusing, isn't it? A step is a semi-tone, so a tone is two steps? Or could be a step is two half steps, or a full tone, as John M says (which is what I always thought)? The best way to express it would be to say Pink is tuned to Standard at D, meaning the reltionship of the strings is the same as in Standard, but instead of having the 6th string at E it is now at D, and everything follows from there, tuned at the 5th fret of the previous string, except the 2nd string, of course , as Alex desscribed. This is also why it is better to say Vestapol at D (or E), or Spanish at G (or A or F# or whatever). These names, along with Crossnote and others, describe the relationship of the strings to each other. "Open D" or "Open G" could actually refer to several different tunings, but Vestapol is always Vestapol, no matter where it's tuned. For instance, Blind Willie McTell often tunes his 12 string to Standard at B and sometimes Vestapol at B or Spanish at D. It would be really confusing to say he was tuned to "Open G"at D, eh? But saying he was in "Open D" would imply to most that he was in Vestapol, when he's really in Spanish (at D).

Making sense? Just a little pet peeve of mine. In interviews, most of the prewar greats referred to these tunings by these names.

But folks persist. I've given up trying to point this out to folks on other forums. <G>

All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2005, 05:31:27 PM »
Hi all,
I really don't think this is so confusing.? If you think of the step formula for the major scale, it is whole-whole-half-whole-whole-whole-half.? If you plug this into the notes of the C major scale, you get C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C.? A whole step, or one step, is the distance between C and D, for example.? A half-step or semitone is the distance between E and F or B and C.? The prefix "semi" means half in this context, so it would naturally take two semitones to make a whole tone, or two half-steps to make a whole step.? Translated to the neck of the guitar, a whole step, or one step, is a distance of two frets; a half-step or semitone is one fret.
All best,
Johnm
« Last Edit: April 18, 2005, 10:29:51 AM by Johnm »

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2005, 06:18:07 PM »
Translated to the neck of the guitar, a whole step, or one step, is a distance of two frets; a half-step or semitone is one fret.

And of course this was the basis on which Kenny and I had instant understanding.  ;)

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2005, 08:35:52 PM »
Yeah, and my post made more sense before Alex deleted his. <G> Should I delete mine? Altho' I still think it's clearest to say he was tuned to standard at D. But I was always in agreement with you on "steps" John M.
All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal