collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
As long as I've been playing they never say I done anything. They always say that some white guy did it - Miles Davis

Author Topic: Unable to download music  (Read 6498 times)

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
Re: Unable to download music
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2006, 06:05:27 PM »
Hi Phil:

Here are a couple of suggestions to take you back before this headache began:

1) Go to  "Settings"-->"Control Panel"--"Add or Remove Programs"

scroll down and toward the bottom you should see "Winamp"

Highlight "Winamp" and then remove it. This should remove any links between Winamp and iTunes.

Make a new folder and name it "Winamp" go to the Winamp site and download Winamp, making sure to "save" it to the "Winamp" folder, not "run" it, ("run" will install it.)

Go into the "Winamp" folder and double-click the only file in there and install Winamp in the Winamp folder. Don't choose any associations/ links, etc.

Start over following Slack's and Uncle Bud's suggestions and see what happens.

If this fails to produce the desired results, you can always take your computer back before you installed Winamp by removing it as per the above steps, and then using "System Restore" under "Help and Support" to take your computer back to where it was a week or two ago.

Hope this helps.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2006, 06:27:07 PM »
Hi Phil,

What a drag for you. We'll sort it out eventually.

Sounds like at least the filename winamp532_lite.exe, which is the filename of your downloaded winamp installation file, has been associated accidentally with iTunes. I'd be surprised if all .exe files on your computer are now associated with iTunes, but you never know and it's definitely possible. I'd expect other programs to behave weirdly if that was the case. Anyway, that's another fix we won't get into for the moment.

Try this.

Click once on the downloaded Winamp installation file on your desktop (making sure it is actually named winamp532_lite.exe). Click again so that the filename becomes highlighted. Change the filename by adding the number 2 to the filename at the end, before the ".exe", so that you get winamp532_lite2.exe, and hit Enter. Then doubleclick the icon and let us know if you still get the same problem or if the installation begins.

cheers,
UB

(who still loves iTunes...)

Just read Stuart's excellent advice. Since my suggestion is a really shot in the dark, his advice may take precedent. However, you might want to try my scenario first, since it's a quick process that can't and won't hurt anything. Because you didn't go through an installation process as far as you recall, I'm still wondering whether it's just a problem with that one file, not an installed program.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 06:34:54 PM by uncle bud »

Offline phhawk

• Howdy!
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2006, 07:13:27 PM »
Thanks guys, but no progress. Maybe I should say that I'm using a MacIntosh G4 Powerbook. Probably about 5 years old. If any of that matters?

I tried your suggestion Uncle Bud. No effect.

Stuart, I looked in control panels. Could not find removing or adding programs.

Regards and many thanks, Phil

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2006, 08:14:28 PM »
Maybe I should say that I'm using a MacIntosh G4 Powerbook.

Hmmm--Details, details!  ;)

My advice was for the PC/Windows XP world, so it doesn't apply in your case. However, there should be an equivalent uninstall/remove function in the Mac world.

Apple / Mac people: Its time to speak up as Phil needs your advice.

I'm temped to say "Apples and Apples" (as opposed to "Apples and Oranges/PCs")--perhaps you could go get the latest version of iTunes (version 7), download and install it, and then try to listen to the Juke using it. I can't say that it is entirely risk free, but you could always e-mail Apple customer support first and see if they have any suggestions. Its worth a shot.

Try going to the source and see what they have to say for themselves.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 08:37:38 PM by Stuart »

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2006, 08:43:52 PM »
Thanks guys, but no progress. Maybe I should say that I'm using a MacIntosh G4 Powerbook. Probably about 5 years old. If any of that matters?

Ack!   :P  Our fault Phil -- we were all assuming a XP/PC installation.  Winamp is for windows computers, not Macs.

Stuart the latest version of iTunes (7.x) still does not support AAC+, which is the purpose of the exercise. 

Phil, you need  http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html for the Mac.  Of course this is for version 10 of the Mac operating system and not Version 9.  My guess is that if you just got the date set  :D , you've got version 9.

Maybe it is time to put the 24K stream back to mp3 format... 

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2006, 08:56:25 PM »
Stuart the latest version of iTunes (7.x) still does not support AAC+, which is the purpose of the exercise.

Thanks for the correction and clarification, Slack. I guess we need the correct software match here. My son (the Apple / Mac expert) flies home on Thursday, so if things aren't working by then, I'll put him on the case.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2006, 09:19:30 PM »
As Gilda Radner's character on Saturday Night Live used to say, "Never mind..."

Nothing like a bunch of PC people talking gibberish at you...

Phil, you using OS X or OS 9?

UB

Offline phhawk

• Howdy!
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2006, 01:53:03 AM »
OK, I'm running 10.2.8. I downloaded the Videolan program that slack posted, however an clicked on the icons. I seemed to do an installation or something. However it requires Quicktime 6.5.2. I have Quicktime 6.2.

Thanks again all, Phil

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2006, 06:56:08 AM »
Download Quicktime 6.5.2 here: http://www.5star-shareware.com/Mac/Utilities/quicktime-mac.html

Phil, pretty soon your system software will match that new system date.  ;)

Seems like a real hassle -- but I think you'll be pleased with the improved quality of the stream.

Offline phhawk

• Howdy!
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2006, 07:58:07 AM »
Thanks guys, But I quit! I've had it! I can download crap till the cows come home and it doesn't change a thing. I'm not going to waste anymore of your time and I'm not going to waste anymore of my time. I'm in the process of moving anyway and I should be able to get DSL in the near future.

Thanks anyway, I really appreciate your time and help regarding this matter.

Regards, Phil

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2006, 09:36:13 AM »
Hi Phil:

I understand your frustration--we've all been there. I think that it's a good time to call a "Time Out" and think things over. I'm on the way to the airport in a few minutes to fetch my son, and I'll ask him for any suggestions. The other thought I have is to try to get you up and running with something that will allow you to connect to the Juke and listen. We can address the AAC+ connectivity/playing down the road. I know that Slack is focused on solving the problem re: AAC+, but I think at this point you would be happy just to be able to tune in and listen. Anyway, don't give up Phil. Maybe you just need a break from the headaches and hassles.

Regards,

Stuart

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2006, 03:49:40 PM »
Hi Phil:

Just returned from SeaTac Airport (with a major stop at Fry's) with my son. His advice is to first get rid of the audio player programs that don't work at the moment (such as Winamp--but you can always get it back later), by moving them to trash (keep iTunes), and then download and install RealPlayer. He says that RealPlayer works well with Apple products and a PowerBook G4 running OS 10 X shouldn't present any problems.

Here's the link:

http://forms.real.com/real/player/blackjack.html?platform2=Mac%20OS%20X&product=RealPlayer%2010&proc=g3&lang=&show_list=0&src=macjack

Hopefully this will get you listening to the Juke one again.

He is tired from the flight from Virginia, but he says that over the next couple of days he'll try to do a little more research and hopefully have a little more detailed information for us, along with info re: removing the links between the various audio players on your PowerBook.

Regards,

Stuart

P.S. Slack: As always, I'm open to correction, so don't hesitate to immediately speak up if need be.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2006, 05:53:54 PM »
P.S. Slack: As always, I'm open to correction, so don't hesitate to immediately speak up if need be.

Looks good as long as Real Player support AAC+? (I'm not sure myself)

Offline phhawk

• Howdy!
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2006, 06:22:54 PM »
Thanks again Stuart and Slack, I'll give it one more try. What the hell do I have to lose? Although, I'm about 0 for 100 concerning downloads.

Phil

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2006, 06:32:49 PM »
Phil, if it does not work - I'll switch the 24K stream back to MP3 format until you get moved - how's that?

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal