collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
RL, did you shoot him in self defense? No, I shot him in the leg and he jumped the fence - R.L. Burnside

Author Topic: Other Tunes You're Listening To  (Read 3892 times)

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
Other Tunes You're Listening To
« on: September 18, 2007, 09:24:52 AM »
Currently alternating between Lonnie J and Jay McShan and........ omg Bob Wills  :-X
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 02:46:27 PM by Slack »
(That's enough of that. Ed)

mississippijohnhurt1928

Other Tunes You're Listening To
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 01:12:15 PM »
Bob Wills is great!

I'm currently checking out some stuff from Broke & Hungry Records- http://www.myspace.com/brokeandhungryrecords

And Reverend Peyton's Big Damn Band-
http://www.myspace.com/therevpeytonsbigdamnband
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 02:46:42 PM by Slack »

Offline dave stott

• Howdy!
Re: Other Tunes You're Listening To
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 03:53:08 PM »
2 CD's are rotating in my car & home player right now

Shaken by a low Sound -- Crooked Still

Ghost Repeaters ---- Jeffrey Foucault

when those aren't being played, any one of Hot Tuna's CD's are a crankin to make the rush hour commute easier.

Dave

Offline unezrider

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 04:40:15 PM »
hello friend,
richard, to reiterate what mjh1928 said - bob wills is great! it is the quintessential happy music. last year i got a great 4 disc set from columbia called 'legends of country music'. but my favorite wills stuff (as much as i like leon mcauliffe) is the tiffanny transcriptions. (you can still download them, i believe, from the rhino website). & their main attraction, junior barnard. what an under-appreciated guitar player. anyone else familiar w/ 'fat boy'?
-chris
"Be good, & you will be lonesome." -Mark Twain

Offline CF

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 04:48:53 PM »
One of the funniest, goofiest, catchiest & strangest tunes I've ever heard is Fats Waller's 'Hold Tight' about a man's undying love for seafood. I think others have recorded this (including the Andrew Sisters?) but I can't imagine any of them being as ridiculously perfect as Waller's. This is a song i have to listen to every so often. Also has great guitar & sax/clarinet breaks (can't remember which at the moment).

I WANT SOME SEAFOOD MAMA!!
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 08:15:30 PM »
Define 'other' Rich... everything I listen to is vaguely 'other'...

Gillian Welch. Carrying the flame for real, unpretentious, original music. A new record is overdue IMO. I'm a big fan of Guy Clark also.

Cheapfeet, you have good taste in 'other'. If you like Fats, and haven't already, check out Louis Prima, not to mention his partner Keely Smith.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 09:09:09 PM »
Chris,

I've been listening to a lot of Bob Wills lately.  I've got a 4 CD set put out by Proper called "Take Me Back To Tulsa", a really great set - it covers Bob Wills from 1932 to 1948, you can follow the evolution of his style.  I've got 2 of the Tiffany collections and I'll surely end up getting all 9 (iTunes carries all the Tiffany's as well I believe.)  Junior Barnard is great, some fine down and dirty playing - but i think I like Eldon Shamblin even better, his phrasing is very Charlie Christian like.  I also have "Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys for the Last Time" - recorded in 1973.  Bob was pretty weak having suffered a major stroke some time before, so he just hollers on a few of the tune - but it is a very good CD with many of the original Playboys.

Offline unezrider

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 11:56:48 AM »
hey slack,
that 4 disc bob wills set i've got has a few songs from '..for the last time.' i can hear what you mean - but that 'going away party' song is absolutely terrific. the bulk of that box set covers more or less the same years as yours, i think. (the Columbia years) but includes some mgm & what not. 'bubbles in my beer', 'faded love' - the non-columbian classics. plus, i bought it off amazon for $19.95! don't know why they had it so low.... but it made me say 'ahhh--haaa!'
have you ever given wayne 'the train' hancock a listen?
-chris

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 01:49:30 PM »
have you ever given wayne 'the train' hancock a listen

Never heard of him -- but the two samples I could get loaded on his site sounded real good!

Offline Richard

• weekendblues
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2007, 02:46:35 PM »
I have to admit I love Bob Wills, as a band it swings.... you can't always adimit that you listen to them mind ;)

What else am I listening to ::) currently a bit of a mix...Walter Davis, Roy Eldridge, Mississipi Shieks and Maxine Sullivan !

Offline CF

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2007, 06:19:58 PM »
I've been playing Maxine Sullivan's version of the Gershwin's 'It Ain't Necessarily So' for years. One of my all time favourite tunes.
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline Richard

• weekendblues
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2007, 01:40:29 PM »
She's great and I've always liked Loch Lomond with Frankie Newton on trumpet... are we allowed to mention 'trumpet' on a CB site  ;D

mississippijohnhurt1928

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2007, 01:00:27 PM »
A Wonderful New Orleans Piano Album:

Junco Partner- James Booker

Offline Richard

• weekendblues
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2007, 09:08:12 AM »
Slim Gaillard and Memphis Minnie, what a combination.

B19 Blues is a killer  ;)

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2008, 07:26:13 PM »
I'm really into the Early Chet Atkins JSP set at present. Some fantastically cool music on there. Particularly in love with (I May be Colorblind But) I Know When I'm Blue, Tellin' My Troubles To My Old Guitar, Hybrid Corn, Guitar Blues, St Louis Blues, Memphis Blues, many more.

This set is a real 'grower', first time on the player I thought 'that's a a pretty good set'. Now I tend to get bogged down about a third of the way through due to hitting rewind too often. Much of it starts out as 'corn' and transcends itself through Chet's playing, and some really incredible mandolin and female vocal accompanists, to high art. Great to have such a big slice of his early days in the studio with a big old Gretsch on one set of discs.

Damn, wish I didn't have to work and could stay home and play guitar all day!

Offline unezrider

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2008, 03:22:23 PM »
hello friend,
i recently got my hands on a few bear family releases called 'blowing the fuse'. its songs that 'rocked the jukebox', (the r&b jukebox, that is). it's a 16 volume set, from 1945 through 1960, sold individually. i have '47 & '48. they are a bit pricey, but the quality is absolutely terrific! from the sound to the packaging, these are some top-notch discs. i also picked up one called 'eat to the beat - the dirtiest of those dirty blues.' & the quality is equally as good on that disc. some fun songs, too. a few of the later ones on the disc from the '60's are a bit more vulgar, & lose the playfulness of the earlier tunes, but it is still an enjoyable listen.
& lastly, (i love gift certs!) i got a leon mcauliffe cd called ' take off, & more' that is pure fun! some really great western swing by those guys - take it away, leon!

Offline Richard

• weekendblues
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2008, 01:53:19 AM »
First, Unezerider any more info on the Leon Mcauliffe recordings ...label ? I do like western swing.

Currently listening to Boppin Hillbilly Rockabilly  on ProperRecords........... it's not all that boppin but has it's moments!!

Also a double Buck Clayton (trumpet) and some Gerry Mulligan with Spoon and some JayMcShan hows that!!!.

Offline unezrider

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2008, 10:39:30 PM »
hey richard,
the cd is on bear family, if i didn't state that. all of his songs are from his dot recordings between '57 & '58. mainly instrumentals, but all are very good. i also have a version of 'take it away, leon' that he recorded in '50 on columbia. that's on the columbia 'hillbilly boogie!' compilation. a very worth while collection, if you can find it. it has one of my favorite tunes on it, 'give me a red hot mama and an ice cold beer' by smiley maxedon. (sadly, i know nothing else about smiley). a collection you may really enjoy, too, is 'hillbilly bop 'n boogie (king/federal's roots of rockabilly 1944-56)'. thats on the ace records label.
i've looked at that 'boppin hillbilly rockabilly' set you mentioned. is it worth getting?
hope you enjoy!
chris

Offline Richard

• weekendblues
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2008, 11:53:25 AM »
Thanks. I will take a look.

As for whether this rockabilly set is\was worth it I wasn't that sure, but the price for a 4 cd set with booklet I decided it worth a pop even if just to play in the car!

Heres the link that tells you what is on it... you decide.... personally I think I'd make it 2.5 cd set ;D

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Boppin-Hillbilly-Red-Hot-Rockabilly/dp/B000DNVRTC/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1200599352&sr=8-2
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 11:56:31 AM by Richard »

Cooljack

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2008, 10:25:00 AM »
Im really into pre war country aswell as blues, I've been listening to Darby & Tarlton and alot of Fiddlin' John Carson's though I only really like his early stuff (as cliche a statement that is, it is true)

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal