collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
It's like being in guitar heaven - Rob(Trish) R, on the PTCBW experience

Author Topic: Art Carved From Inequality by James ?Son Ford? Thomas  (Read 1109 times)

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
Art Carved From Inequality by James ?Son Ford? Thomas
« on: May 16, 2016, 04:12:10 PM »
Hi all

Stefan Wirz posted about this on  fb today. I thought some of you might want to read the article.
It seems to me that Son Thomas was more recognized as a sculptor, than as a musician, although I can't find any flaw in his music at all, except maybe for the unwillingness to commercialize. Great clay sculptures anyway!

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/10/arts/design/reviewart-carved-from-inequality-by-james-son-ford-thomas.html?_r=2

Cheers

Pan

Offline Chezztone

• Hey!
    • Steve Cheseborough 1920s-30s-style blues
Re: Art Carved From Inequality by James ?Son Ford? Thomas
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 08:31:33 PM »
Thanks, Pan. And fans of Son Thomas (I am one of them!) should check out the work of his son, Pat Thomas. He bears a strong resemblance to his dad, both physically, and in the sound of his voice, and in his mystical nature. And he has followed Dad's footsteps into both art and music. 

Offline mtzionmemorialfund

• Tear This Barrelhouse Down
    • Mt. Zion Memorial Fund
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 12:11:32 AM »
Hi all
Stefan Wirz posted about this on  fb today. I thought some of you might want to read the article.
It seems to me that Son Thomas was more recognized as a sculptor, than as a musician, although I can't find any flaw in his music at all, except maybe for the unwillingness to commercialize. Great clay sculptures anyway!
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/10/arts/design/reviewart-carved-from-inequality-by-james-son-ford-thomas.html?_r=2
Cheers Pan

Washington County, Mississippi is one of the nation's great breeding grounds of talented artists and sculptors.  Leon Koury was mentored by William Alexander Percy, author of Lanterns on the Levee.  Koury was mentor to Bill Beckwith, who now lives here in Oxford.  Wilson Lee came up in the late 1960s doing woodcarvings and participated in the Festival of American Folklife with Sam Chatmon, of Hollandale.  Folklorist Worth Long was responsible for the  discovery of many local artists as well as musicians for The Land Where The Blues Began.  And, of course, James "Son" Thomas of Leland (articles in attachments).
T. DeWayne Moore
Executive Director, Mt. Zion Memorial Fund

Offline Lignite

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 07:19:13 AM »
Son Thomas with Walter Liniger - Kent State Folk Festival 1988

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal