collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Now your pistol's been fixed so it only shoots blanks; and when the third beer goes down, there's no room in the tank. You've got the forty year blues - Frontpage, Forty Year Blues (a commemoration of certain mortality)

Author Topic: Blues & Rhythm  (Read 2933 times)

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
Blues & Rhythm
« on: May 21, 2004, 05:52:12 PM »
Check out the site:

Blues & Rhythm

In particular, these articles:

Blind Lemon Jefferson
Honeyboy Edwards

The BLJ article contains the alleged second picture...

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Re: Blues & Rhythm
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2004, 03:49:08 PM »
Just read the article on Lemon. Thanks so much for posting this Frankie. It was great to read, and the photo is positively spooky. You use the word alleged. Has the photo been called into question? Caption says it's "computer enhanced." Whatever it is, it freaked me out for some reason. Like seeing a ghost. I had not seen it or heard of it before.

Highly recommended reading for Lemon freaks. Also raises the slim possibility of more Lemon titles... yow!  Nice ads for Lemon records as well.

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2004, 10:54:11 PM »
You use the word alleged. Has the photo been called into question?

I'm overstating - it doesn't much look like Lemon to me... although it's hard to see past the weird re-touching job.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2004, 06:34:29 PM »
I thought I'd just cut and paste this posting from "Great Bear" over on the Woodshed as it contains some rather interesting stuff.

Conversation with Paul Swinton regarding BLJ Picture
Hi Guys,

I've just had two amazingly long and great conversations with Paul Swinton.?

Paul has produced and remastered many fantastic blues reissues, and contributed a vast array of photographs, adverts and research to various CDs, books and magazines. R-E-S-P-E-C-T. This guy is a true blues expert, much like Stefan, and will be occasionally posting here in the future. Haven spoken to him criticisms over the "Not to be reproduced without written permission" line do not stick. He's a great blues enthusiast who is willing to let anybody with a research or academic interest have access to his vast collection. Rightfully, Paul only wants any material or photographs to be reproduced with taste, respect, perspective and substance. This is why he chooses good outlets like Blues & Rhythm, Document and Legacy to release said material.

Paul was gracious enough to talk for some considerable time about the second Blind Lemon Jefferson picture and many other blues discoveries, despite the fact that he had just got back from a field trip and was extremely busy. Y'all won't believe some of the great discoveries, but I'll leave that for Paul to post. As for the second Jefferson picture.

THE HEAD SHOT:

The head shot is completely genuine. This comes from a St. Louis music sheet/advert. The sheet contains 3 small head shots of Blind Lemon Jefferson, Elzadie Robinson and Jimmy O'Bryant. This is in Paul's possession and will appear in his upcoming Blind Lemon Jefferson biography. The "Twist Of Lemon" article from Blues & Rhythm was just Paul's initial research notes. Since then he has gathered far more detailed and informative material so the book is shaping up to be major piece of work. It will be divided into two parts a biography and a music section. Sounds great.

THE BODY SHOT:

As for Jefferson's body this is where the computer enhancement has taken place. I don't know who owns the complete picture or who computer enhanced it, but Paul does not own this picture, thus the reason for the "Not to be reproduced without written permission" line in the article. The full body copy has been analysed at dot level, and there doesn't appear to be any fraud or mischief, but without the original this is not definitive.

No other material of interest was found in the same box as the BLJ picture. This picture and the studio portrait are the only known photographs of Blind Lemon Jefferson.

PAUL ALSO INFORMED ME THAT:

There are many other unpublished blues photographs including Papa Charlie Jackson and Tampa Red, that will all be released in due time. Also, there are 10 (count them 10!) unreleased Memphis Jug Band alternate takes, 3 new Blind Willie Mctell tracks which I think are from his last session, and the master for Charlie Patton's Jim Lee Blues has been discovered.

GB
« Last Edit: April 10, 2005, 10:24:59 PM by Johnm »

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 01:34:33 AM »
I thought I'd revive this in light of noticing that their back issues in the range 50-100 (1990-1996) are depleting at a rate of knots. At only one pound plus postage for any back issue (current cover price four times that) seems like a bargain to me. Even if only interested in one of the listed features in any single issue...

http://www.bluesandrhythm.co.uk/backissues.html
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 01:35:52 AM by Bunker Hill »

Offline cakewalk

• Howdy!
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 05:23:03 PM »
Andrew  wondered about the use of the word "alleged" in regards to the new photo(s) of Lemon. I think alleged may be charitable as this photo looks more enhanced than real.

Additionally there is obvious motive for someone to "find" long lost photos. In addition to some possible profit motive there is also just plain boredom in people's lives that seem to kindle this sort of stuff.

I am NOT accusing anyone of anything, I just can't help but be a bit skeptical.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2007, 09:05:33 PM »
I can't imagine anyone making any money off a photo of Blind Lemon. I don't see this as one of those Robert Johnson-style scams. Paul Swinton from all reports (I don't know him) impresses me as a serious blues researcher.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal