collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I came up here, it was all cold, and weird, strange, lotta yoghurt. Then they put us in a military base. And they told me 'this is it'. I said 'OK, that's cool' - Jerry Ricks, Saturday evening concert Port Townsend 97

Author Topic: Pyrochlore - Alive!  (Read 5713 times)

Offline Slack

• Administrator
Pyrochlore - Alive!
« on: August 09, 2006, 07:03:26 AM »
The stage is set: Weenie house, late one night during Pre-soak, Alex pulls out "Ghost Riders in the Sky".  A silence (or a pall depending on your state of inebriation) comes over the group of gathered weenies,  Finally, Jed awakens from his stupor and makes the challenge:  "Alex, I'll donate 200 bucks to Centrum if you sing that at the participants concert".

Participants concert: Alex, dons his best Saturday night dance duds, complete with Mexican made black leather tasseled beer holder holster and the rest is history.

(picture and mp3 courtesy of Frontpage. Hoops, hollers, catcalls, whip cracks, galloping horse effects, additional bidding courtesy of a host of weenies and what was left of the audience)

You too can re-live the moment:  http://weeniecampbell.com/misc/GhostRiders.mp3

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 07:05:29 AM by Slack »

Offline thumbstyle

Re: Pyrochlore - Alive!
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 10:27:34 AM »
A classic! Good on ya for recording it, Slack! And good on Alex for being such a good sport.

DaveBro

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 10:51:33 AM »
Yeah!  Just wait until Alex finds out! 

:P

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 10:55:01 AM »
Ye gads:

My humiliation is now complete ;D Gone from the verge of stardom with the proto-Hohoppas to singing cowboy songs. Oh well, at least the song is pre-1950, and largely in a minor chord.

And once again, my thanks to the massive support from the assembled Weenies for their quiet, almost reverant, listening skills.

At this rate of musical decent, next year it will be "Tiptoe Through the Tulips" (wait, I know that one), or "Karma Chameleon"

Alex

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 11:26:48 AM »
It sounded great, Alex!  I just put Ghost Riders on my "songs to learn" list.

Hey, Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters, and Leadbelly sang cowboy songs. 

I squinted at your icon while I was listening to the track, and it sounded like Frank Stokes singing with Dan Sain, Cannon's Jug Stompers, and the Memphis Jug Band crew making the ruckus in the background.  And I could hear the Sons Of The Pioneers and Frankie Laine out front listening reverently to see how it's done.   ;D 

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 11:36:48 AM »
Yes DJ, it was a very good performance!  The participants concert was actually pretty good this year -- but after 2+ hours, the audience obviously appreciated the relief and release!  ;D

Offline Bill Roggensack

• Not dead yet!
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 03:52:30 PM »
Best audience participation of the night - a performance worth waiting for! My only regret is that I could have positioned the mike more optimally. Had I known what was coming, my efforts would have been complete. Instead, I had to divide my efforts between the recording process, taking photos, and enjoying the performance. The latter won out.   
:)
A great performance by Alex, a giant leap for cowboy blues.
Cheers,
FrontPage

Offline KC King

• Honey, Let me bring my clothes back home!
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 05:21:18 PM »
Kudos to Pyrochlore - that took some fortitude... ;D  A lot of fun was had by all!  >:D  Thanks Frontpage and Slack!  By the way Lightnin' did tip toe through the tulips in the kitchen in the weeniehaus and - ya' know - without the bad falseto (ala TT) it's a cool song!
KC (Chris) King

Rosalyn

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2006, 12:57:53 PM »
The performance definately sparked a round of giggles. I never dreamt I'd be hearing again though....and here I am giggling again. Thanks for the recording. Thanks for the sportsmanship Alex!
Loved it!

roz

Offline Buzz

• Howdy!
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2006, 02:48:39 PM »
Pyrochlore:
You are a great good sport! Playing and singing the tune in the concert was perfect. I laughed til I cried, and had such a great time hooting and yelping and slapping my thighs like hoofbeats!

Slack was right, we all needed it after 2 1/2 hours. Thanks for playing it all the way through!

Buzz
Do good, be nice, eat well, smile, treat the ladies well, and ignore all news reports--which  can't be believed anyway,

Buzz

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2006, 11:13:10 PM »
Hi all:

Although I can't believe that I actually went through with it, I wouldn't have done it w/o the incentive of the $200 to Centrum (Thanks, Jed), who made the wonderful week possible.

From my point of view (on stage), I couldn't see anything (bright stage lights). All I knew was after one chorus (Yi-pee i- ayee), a riot broke out in the crowd! I assumed it was incoming tomatoes.

I heard a bid of $250, boy, if it had hit $300 I was out of there. :-X

But, I swear, next year it's blues.

If any of you enjoyed my performance, I guess my love for each and every one of you Weenies came through. Even if your all Communists ;D

I guess the (cowboy) blues does transcend, but, Mr. Page, I'll get you for recording it! :D

BTW, after I got back to my seat, Ms. Wiggans said to me "you must be a saint". No, I just understand Weenies!

And as I was leaving the theatre, some folks were singing "Ghost Riders..." from a passing truck. I (surely) hope I haven't created a monster....

Alex
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 12:16:12 AM by Pyrochlore »

Rosalyn

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2006, 06:04:51 PM »
Farren & Roz here!
 having a beer on another chamber of commerce day in Port Townsend... only thing missin is all of you...and the great tunes.

....so anyway, what key will you be doing tiptoe thru the tulips in Alex?
Farren will join you, maybe some of the other weenie girls will accompany also.....
Maybe we could even come up with costumes.....RRRRR

And if you want to know how it's done.......
remember to ask Frontpage.

Love & kisses from Sirens!

Offline Buzz

• Howdy!
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2006, 09:11:40 PM »
Just curious, y'all:

Shouldn't  Alex's nickname really be "Ghostrider" ? I do so much like it better than "Pyrochlore", as it has so much more depth and meaning to me now... :P.

All in favor, say "Aaiiiiiiyyyyyyyyyyy!"  >:D

Buzz
Do good, be nice, eat well, smile, treat the ladies well, and ignore all news reports--which  can't be believed anyway,

Buzz

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2006, 09:23:56 PM »
Aaiiiiiiyyyyyyyyyyy

:P

Offline Janmarie

• www.janmarieartworks.com
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2006, 07:51:25 AM »
I second that Aaiiiiiiyyyyyyyyyyy!