collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Boy, everybody's bin asking me one damn thing or another. I'll sing you something from that record when I get out there. You're here to hear me sing, ain't ya? - Lightnin' Hopkins responds to a young Alan Balfour's request to sign an album sleeve

Author Topic: Fraulini Guitars  (Read 19905 times)

Offline Slack

• Administrator
Re: Fraulini Guitars
« Reply #60 on: October 11, 2007, 09:23:03 AM »
t was great to see what Todd is working on--long and short-scale twelve-string guitars, both pretty far along, and a real beauty of his own design, the Anunziata, which is completed and unspoken for, so far.  It is somewhat akin to a Nick Lucas,

We wanna see a picture!

...and perhaps a guide to pronunciation!   :P

Offline Cambio

• Howdy!
« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2007, 09:55:22 AM »
Here are some pictures of two of the latest guitars to come out of the shop.  It's the newest model, the Annunziata, named after the eldest of the Fraulini sisters.  They are based on an old Lyon and Healy design which I've come across in both 6 and 12 string versions.  The  lower bout is around 14" and it has a shorter scale length (24 5/8").  The 12 string is meant to be tuned up to E, so it doesn't have the normal rope strings that I usually use.  I put a set of lights on there.
I'm very excited about these two guitars.  In addition to being new models, they are the first guitars that I have built using maple.  I got this maple from a friend who found it up in the Upper Penninsula of Michigan, which is about 300 miles from me.  I like the fact that the wood didn't have to travel too far to get to my shop and I also like to think that Gibson probably used similar stuff as the source isn't that far from the original Kalamazoo plant.
On the six string, I got the inspiration for the headstock from some very early Gibsons, back when they used to slot their headstocks, around 100 years ago, and the 4 leaf clover is to symbolize the streak of good luck we've had of late.  The bridge was influenced by an old Kaykraft bridge that my friend Wil Bremer had.  It is French polished with varnish and I wanted the color to make it look like an old guitar.  She keeps begging me for a funky pickguard, and I think I will have to oblige her before long.
The 12 string is a totally different animal than what I'm used to.  I was very excited that the customer wanted a small bodied 12 string to tune up to E.  I made plans of an old one that Alvin Hart had a while back and I'd been eager to build one.  It's still settling into itself, but so far it sounds great.  It has a lot of bark, but more like a lap dog than a big old hound.
Todd
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 10:02:12 AM by Cambio »

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2007, 10:01:13 AM »
Gorgeous!  I love maple guitars.  Are they ladder braced?

Offline Cambio

• Howdy!
« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2007, 10:03:50 AM »
Thanks Slack.  I'm happy with the way that they turned out.
They are both ladder braced.

Offline Dave in Tejas

• David Newton Guitars
« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2007, 07:38:27 PM »
Hi Todd.
Nice Git.
Dave.

Michael Segui

« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2007, 05:19:14 PM »
I LOVE pearloid fretboards.... I would like a new NRP Vintage Steel Delphi with a pearloid headstock overlay and fretboard.

I will probably do that to my Johnson (no SEGUI reso-phonic) tricone next year... once I get done building my OM.

Nice guitars....

Michael Segui

« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2007, 05:21:01 PM »
Todd,
I LOVE the back on that 6 string!

Offline Blue Poodle

• Kill it, Kid.
« Reply #67 on: November 11, 2007, 10:26:05 AM »
Todd:

These new guitars look very handsome!  But how will you name your new models when you run out of Fraulini sisters?

Paul Geremia plays a Fraulini 12 string extensively on the new DVD "Guitar Artistry of Paul Geremia".  I am really impressed by how well this guitar records.  As Paul also plays an old Stella 12 string, there is an opportunity to hear a bit of an A/B between an original and a Fraulini.

My own Angelina 12 string is a constant companion, and is a lot of fun to play.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 08:30:56 PM by Dr. Insouciance »
All the world loves a lover, but a lover doesn't always love love.

Offline Cambio

• Howdy!
« Reply #68 on: November 11, 2007, 07:06:08 PM »
I only have one aunt to go, Fenizia, which means finished.  She was supposed to be the last of the kids, but in typical Catholic fashion, they couldn't stop at eight.  After I've run out of the aunts, I'll have no shortage of cousins and uncles.
Paul was here last week and gave me a copy of his new DVD.  I haven't watched it yet, but I'm looking forward to hearing the difference between his two 12 strings.  I had a few guitars sitting around the shop so he recorded a bunch of sound samples for the website.  Hopefully we'll get them up soon.

Offline johneeeveee

« Reply #69 on: November 24, 2007, 11:53:08 PM »
 I am happy to say that I own one of Todd's Fraulini Erma guitars. It is my favorite of all my guitars (among some very nice instruments) and I'm seriously thinking about having him build me another one. His guitars have totally changed my idea of what ladder braced guitars sound like.
Thanks - jv

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #70 on: November 27, 2007, 11:07:11 AM »
Hi all,
I am in the process of buying a nine-string conversion that Todd made, using a little old Stromberg, I believe he said, for the body, and with a new neck and nine-string head of Todd's design and construction.  Some of you saw it at Port Townsend last summer.  The first three strings are in pairs.  I have them all as unisons, but you could do octave courses on either the G or B strings.  I love the sound of it and have been pretty much stuck with it in Spanish since I got it, it sounds so great there.  The workmanship is so excellent that it is hard to believe the guitar wasn't originally in its current configuration.  I don't know how to post photos here, but if you go to Todd's website at www.fraulini.com and click on "Reviews" you can find a picture of it.  Thanks, Todd, it is really a beautiful instrument!
All best,
Johnm

« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 04:10:21 PM by Johnm »

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #71 on: November 27, 2007, 12:43:45 PM »
Well, the workmanship of 12 string that was made for Bluehome I couldn't fault and now Phil has found the C tuning that seems to suit it best it sounds fantastic.
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #72 on: November 27, 2007, 01:21:14 PM »
Actually, John M, Todd posted a thread about the guitar when he finished it, titled, what else, 9 String, with lots of great pics. And that thing really sounded great in your hands at PT last summer. I'm glad you decided to buy it. Congrats!

All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline Cambio

• Howdy!
« Reply #73 on: December 12, 2007, 11:23:13 AM »
Hi Everybody,
I just wanted to say that, thanks to a lot of hard work on Frank's part, we just put up a bunch of new updates to the site.  Most significantly are the "Sound Sketches" which feature samples of some of the different models, played by Paul Geremia.  There are also quite a few new pictures of some of the things that I've been working on lately, as well as the addition of the Annunziata, the sixth of the seven models.  Check it out.
www.fraulini.com

Todd

Offline zoner

« Reply #74 on: December 17, 2007, 10:49:18 AM »
I don't suppose there's anyone who has a Fraulini 12-string for sale?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal