collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I ain't got nobody here but me and myself. If I had my right mind I'd stay drunk all the time - Charlie Patton, Shake It And Break It

Author Topic: Washboard Sam w/ Big Bill Broonzy -- new CD collection  (Read 1340 times)

Offline outfidel

Washboard Sam w/ Big Bill Broonzy -- new CD collection
« on: July 11, 2008, 02:29:29 PM »
from the latest Roots & Rhythm newsletter:

WASHBOARD SAM
She Belongs To The Devil - An Anthology, 1936-1947

Acrobat ADDCD 3049 ● CD $18.98
Two CDs, 40 tracks, highly recommended

A particularly nice introduction to the recordings of big voiced Robert Brown aka Washboard Sam accompanying himself on washboard and joined by some of Chicago's finest. Sam was not only a fine and expressive singer but also an excellent songwriter who not only wrote for himself but contributed to the repertoire of Big Bill Broonzy, Jazz Gillum and other Chicago bluesmen - quite a few of which have become blues standards. The tracks here are drawn from 13 different sessions and give a good cross section of his repertoire. He is accompanied on all tracks by guitarist Big Bill Broonzy who plays electric guitar on some of the later sessions. Other great sidemen show up including pianist Black Bob, clarinetist Arnett Nelson, alto saxist Buster Bennett, pianist Roosevelt Sykes, bassist Ransom Knowling and others. This set includes some of his popular songs including You Done Tore Your Playhouse Down/ (Mama) Don't 'Low/ Razor Cuttin' Man/ Easy Ridin' Mama/ I'm Gonna Keep My Hair Parted/ Flying Crow Blues/ She Belongs To The Devil/ River Hip Mama and others. Sound quality is excellent and the 12 page booklet has informative notes and full discographical data. (FS)

Support musicians in need - join the Music Maker Relief Foundation

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal