collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Well I had started that about the age of twelve... see my mother had a guitar, my father made her a present of a guitar, and he taught her a few chords, but I first started on a little outfit I made with a cigar box... I made a guitar with a cigar box, had peg keys, bored holes in the head, and I had uh... the strings graduated from fishing twine down on to thread - Johnny St. Cyr, guitarist for the Jelly Roll Morton's Red Hot Peppers in an interview with Alan Lomax on how he learned to play guitar

Author Topic: Mance Lipscomb's Guitar Style--Queries and Tips  (Read 20640 times)

Offline Blue in VT

• Howdy!
Mance Lipscomb's Guitar Style--Queries and Tips
« on: March 28, 2006, 09:54:31 AM »
Once again the Juke has introduced me to new music that I really want to learn to play.  In the past wo months I have really fallen in love with Lipscomb, I appreciate his playing style and vocal...they always put me in a good mood.  So I looking for suggestions for good instructional material about him.  I realize that the Guitar Workshop has 2 dvd with Ernie Hawkins...anyone ever used these?  Are there other sources of information you would suggest?

thanks weenies

Blue
Blue in VT

Offline Slack

• Administrator
Re: Mance Lipscomb Instruction
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 10:25:04 AM »
I'm not familiar with Ernie's instructional material -- but I'll bet they are excellent.  ernie is a great player and teacher - he was at Port Townsend a few years ago.

John Miller has an excellent audio lesson "Rocks and Gravel" on this board that I am familiar with -- and it is excellent.  A great tune also.

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 10:40:58 AM »
Howdy:

A number of Lipscomb tunes are TAB'd out in S. Grossman's instructional book, Texas Blues Guitar.

Alex

Offline Blue in VT

• Howdy!
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 11:20:58 AM »
Thanks slack...didn't realize that John M had a lipscomb song on this board...and Rocks and Gravel is one of my faorite.  This will be a great place to start and see if I can handle his playing style.

thanks

Blue
Blue in VT

37 Gibson

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 07:45:48 AM »
I highly recommend the Ernie Hawkins DVDs on Mance Lipscomb.  I think Ernie gives really good insight into Lipscomb's playing, and the lessons are very clear.  They are both good, but if you were only to get one of the two, I'd suggest starting with vol. 1. 

Also, Ernie's own playing (especially in A) incorporates a lot of Mance Lipscomb's techniques. (For instance, his arrangement of TB Blues on "Rags and Bones," and of course G Rag, a Mance tune, on the same CD).

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 06:41:16 PM »
I picked this up a while back and highly recommend it.

http://guitarvideos.com/dvd/13011dvd.htm

The DVD left me with several random impressions. The setting is really 60s sterile but Mance is unphased by it all. You know the scene, hipsters in paisley, cravats and cords sitting stiffly in chairs being respectful. Mance seems to be the only one in the room seeing the funny side. Somehow he manages to convey respect for his audience all the while and draws them in.

The playing is powerful after he's warmed up and in the groove, at several points the music becomes all absorbing. His character continues to come through as the performance builds leaving you wanting more and maybe gaining some insight into Mance.

Cheryl and I watched it together and as the credits rolled we said in unison: "Far out!" One could learn a lot watching it with a guitar standing by.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 09:38:13 PM »
You make a great point, Mark.  Having Mance on video is like getting a private lesson from him.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Blue in VT

• Howdy!
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2006, 08:06:28 AM »
I'll defenitly have to check out that video...sounds wonderfull and instructive...so many great ones to get so little time and money.

thanks for you help guys

Blue
Blue in VT

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2006, 09:10:59 AM »
I'll second the recommendation of the Mance concert video (and the dorkitude of the audience). He is in fine form and you get a lot of material on this.

Offline Blue in VT

• Howdy!
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2006, 09:55:57 AM »
Dorkitude....what a great word....have to remember that one...now I have to see it myself... ;D

Blue
Blue in VT

AX17609

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2006, 06:44:42 PM »
I have that concert on VHS I think and I can testify to the "Caucasianness" of the people there. They all need a couple years in  a southern baptist church chior.

AX

Jeff in Montana

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2006, 04:19:40 PM »
Another nod for the Hawkins DVD set - I just got 'em about two weeks ago and am having a blast with it!  Mance's stuff is very do-able and alot of fun.  Alot of licks you can use in other tunes you may know too.  I've got "Captain, Captain" pretty much down and of course "Sugar Babe".  Working on "Going Down Slow" now.  Just as an aside, "Sugar Babe" in E is a real cool tune to try out different guitars with - try to not mute the low E as much and the guitar REALLY resonants.  Very interesting and cool.  Anyhow, the second DVD has a real interesting Blues in G that I can't wait to get into as well.

Btw, I'm looking for one of those paisley shirts - and that HAT!  Got to have that!

Have fun!

kblake

Sugarbabe by Mance Lipscomb
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2006, 11:52:58 PM »
G'day Gents,

I have recently started fingerpicking lessons and my teacher has given me Sugarbabe by Mance Lipscomb (in E), but for the life of me I can't get the timing right, does anyone here have an .mp3 they recorded to post to help me out?
I go to lessons twice a month I am not due to go again till next Monday and I can't exactly remember how my teacher played it LOL  Was it a shuffle or more of a country feel?

I have had 6 lessons now, we started out with some picking exercisers  (shuffle and country) then we did "In The Pines" a 3/4 waltz  then we did a straight 12 bar blues fingerpicking in E  and over the next lesson we moved into call and response with the same 12 bar I am still not real good but I am getting there but this "Sugarbabe" has got me stumped..

Thanks
for the help

Keith
« Last Edit: October 02, 2006, 12:02:41 AM by kblake »

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
Re: Sugarbabe by Mance Lipscomb
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2006, 12:12:14 AM »
Keith,

Welcome to Weenie Campbell. You can request this song on the Weenie Juke and it will play in about three songs. Have you been listening to the Juke yet?

Sounds like your teacher is moving you thru some good songs. Don't worry about getting "real good" too fast, just have fun, you'll get there.

Sugar Babe has a real straight time country feel but the syncopation gives it a swing. Good luck with this fun little tune.

And start singing with your playing as soon as you can. That's the best advice I can give you. Developing your voice takes just as much practice as developing your guitar playing, so start now so your vocals don't fall behind.

All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

kblake

Re: Sugarbabe by Mance Lipscomb
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2006, 12:26:53 AM »
Thanks John,

Firstly sorry for posting in the wrong spot and thanks for the welcome..
I haven't listened to Juke yet but I will ..

I can't sing, but when the wifes not around I give it a go ...

Thanks
again

Keith

Tags: Mance Lipscomb 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal