collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
"A jerk" (Son House) "A squabblin' scuttlebub" (Hayes McMullen) "A great man" (Bukka White) "A lappy-eared sonofabitch" (Willie Brown) "He was a helluva guy. I was lucky to know him" (Honeyboy Edwards) - Charlie Patton, remembered

Author Topic: Anybody know what kind of slide Corey Harris is playing in this video clip?  (Read 1222 times)

Offline westside ryan

• Howdy!
    • Westside Ryan
Does anybody know what kind of slide Corey Harris is playing in this video clip (around 0.45min)?  This looks like a slide that might work well for me and I'd like to pick one up. I had sent Corey an email, but never heard back.  So I was hoping that a member of this forum might recognize it.  Thanks!

I found a slide called a "ToneDome Custom Slide" which looks close, but is chrome plated.  I also think $38.00 + shipping is a little steep.  I still can't seem to find a brass one like Corey is using.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 08:53:23 PM by Westside Ryan »

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
I don't know what slide Corey is using, but it looks like it's rounded. Here's the Elderly list:

http://elderly.com/accessories/cat_or_pgc_page?page=1&query_start=1&step=20&cat_or_pgc=ACSL&special_links=&sort_on=cat_or_pgc,artist,title&reverse_str=&instock_only=

Looks like there's a couple in there that might work--and there's always the custom makers, but I'd start off simple and work on intonation first.

FYI -- if you want to look at the high end:

http://www.diamondbottlenecks.com/DB08/index.asp

Offline Mike Brosnan

That was one of the first questions I asked him when he finally taught a class in Port Townsend....  I believe he said a friend made it for him and it is not commercially available.  :(
This thing looks vaguely similar though: http://benpowellmusic.com/fr_home.cfm

Offline Mike Brosnan

Ha!  I should read more carefully.  Guess you already found the "vaguely similar" deal...

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
Hi Ryan:

Sorry to hear about your accident and injury--and sorry for the misunderstanding. From the various posts re: the guitar and slide, I had the mistaken impression that this was something new. As far as I can tell, a couple of the slides available at Elderly are chrome plated brass and rounded. If you can find one that fits (hopefully locally), you could cut it down so that it meets your needs. And the chrome plating can be removed as well, if that's your preference. 

Offline NotRevGDavis

• "Hat on a cabbage head- I've never seen before"
I use Rock Slides I prefer the Raw Brass Rock Slide. After 37 years of construction work my hands are a mess- I use moleskin or ortho padding on the inside of of the size medium so it fits snug, keeps my finger straight and doesn't come off (I can send a photo if you like). Wearing it just at the second knuckle of my pinky I have more control above the knuckle than I had curving my finger to hold on to the slide- it is actually like a brass pinky extension. The inside is tapered and thick at the end and there is a flat finger rest machined for the adjacent finger. The large Rock Slide has the best sound but it gets too heavy after awhile even all padded and shimmed.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 10:23:27 AM by NotRevGDavis »
Got the name, still workin' on the licks!

Offline NotRevGDavis

• "Hat on a cabbage head- I've never seen before"
The small is a bit light it would probably work great on an electric- I find it is too short.
Like I said before you can put thick (1/8) moleskin in a medium (or a large for that matter). I only put it around half of the inside diameter on the back opposite the notch if it is too tight peel a few layers off until it is comfortable, it has absolutely no effect on the sound.
Glad I could help.
NRGD
Got the name, still workin' on the licks!

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal