collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Today a guy can go into a studio and make a record, just any guy. Today you are judged by your records. You make a record overnight. A guy makes a record and overnight he's a big recording star and you can't say anything to him. And most of the time he can't even carry his instrument - Sam Price, to Paul Oliver, 1960

Author Topic: Chris White MySpace site  (Read 2012 times)

Offline Doc White

• Good medicine
    • Doc White
Chris White MySpace site
« on: September 22, 2006, 07:11:16 PM »
Hi Everyone,
I've put up a MySpace site at www.myspace.com/bluefella I have 3 songs available for your listening pleasure. A video will be on the site shortly as soon as I can figure out how to do it.
Any comments greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Chris

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Re: Chris White MySpace site
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 05:03:09 PM »
Hi Chris - dig that Come Here Katy. What's the instrumentation on that? Sounds like a cross between a banjo and a jew's harp!

Offline Doc White

• Good medicine
    • Doc White
Re: Chris White MySpace site
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 11:04:48 PM »
Hi Guys,
Come Here Katy was recorded using an old John Grey Banjo from the 1920's. It was made to be a 5 string but comes with a headstock with 6 tuners. I had it converted to six string but the neck is too narrow below the 3rd fret to play comfortably so I've capoed at the 4th fret. There are only 2 chords Am and Em (C#m and G#m) except in the solo where I throw in a G (B). The banjo was recorded using a large diaphragm condensor mike - MXR I think.
The distant banjo heard in the intro was done using reverb and then the banjo becomes more apparent as the reverb is wound back. The banjo is all one take.
The only other instruments on it are acoustic guitar and 5 string bass. I played everything except bass - that was done by Bob Spencer who also engineered (he is a genius)
The response in the verses in the second half of the song were done by taking snippets of the vocal and heavily distorting and phasing. If you listen carefully you can actually hear the words being sung. Mind you, people have to crane their ears when I sing normally. Glad you enjoyed it.
Cheers,
Chris

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal