collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Logically, when you talkin' about folk music and blues, you find out it's music of just plain people - Brownie McGhee

Author Topic: Vinyl LP Frenzy Brings Record-Pressing Machines Back to Life  (Read 786 times)

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"

Offline StoogeKebab

• Howdy!
    • LAW Records
Re: Vinyl LP Frenzy Brings Record-Pressing Machines Back to Life
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 05:09:01 AM »
We may be waking you sooner than expected  ;)

Whilst I haven't actually placed an order yet, I have a plan and template organised with one Nathan Sawford out of Melbourne, Australia (I think he might be the only one with a pressing plant out my way) who is assisting me in making repro 78s for wall display that will actually still play at 78rpm, while not shellac, they are actually thicker. I have an EP from him and one of my label mates has an LP from him. My EP has a sound very different to the digital files, and his has a sound near indistinguishable, however as time has gone on and he has shown it off repeatedly, it has that little touch of surface noise and it's just great.
Confident that I'm probably almost definitely the youngest record label owner in my street

Live Acoustic Wollongong - LAW Records

https://www.facebook.com/law.nkjc/

https://itunes.apple.com/au/artist/james-r-cooper/id992309035

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 01:07:32 PM »
IIRC, Joe Bussard was the last person in the U.S. to cut and market--albeit in a limited way--78s in the U.S. Cutting, pressing and marketing 78s on a commercial scale, much like the way vinyl LPs are now being done, (in addition to the start-up costs) assumes that there is a customer base willing to invest in a turntable, stylus and probably a pre-amp to play them on through their sound systems. It's tough enough for me to predict the past, much less the future, so who knows what would happen? The 78 collectors swear by the sound of a quality record if played on the proper equipment--that it's superior to an LP. So maybe at the right price point, the whole thing might catch on. However,  I think that deep pockets and a lot of patience are required for anyone contemplating this move.

Offline jpeters609

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 06:53:35 AM »
IIRC, Joe Bussard was the last person in the U.S. to cut and market--albeit in a limited way--78s in the U.S.

And Joe didn't even get into the pressing part of the business. As I recall, all of his Fonotone 78s were actually individually cut on an acetate cutting machine (or whatever such a device was called)!
Jeff

Offline Lignite

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 08:00:20 AM »
Yes, I had him press me some copies of 78s back in the 1970s. They did not last very long and are unplayable now.

Offline Lastfirstface

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 08:06:54 AM »
Evangelist Records in the UK pressed a few 78s a couple years back. Pokey Lafarge, Jerron Paxton and CW Stoneking if I remember correctly.

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal