collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Lord I'm standing at the cross road, babe - I believe I'm sinking down - Robert Johnson, Cross Road Blues

Author Topic: Anyone live in Southwest Virginia?  (Read 1573 times)

Griffis

Anyone live in Southwest Virginia?
« on: August 10, 2007, 08:04:13 AM »
Hello, All. I'm brand new here...just posted on the "introductions" thread.

I haven't gigged in about 8 years, since my daughters were born.

I just relocated to Roanoke, Virginia from Oklahoma and I am dying to get back into a band or put together a little combo. I've been working so hard I haven't been able to meet many people in the area, but if there's anyone on this forum who lives nearby, I'd really like to jam...

I'm sort of a purist when it comes to making music. I don't personally want to do "old timey" versions of AC/DC songs or anything like that (though I enjoy bands who do those kinds of things). I have no problem doing original music, but I am entrenched in acoustic, pre-war style. I enjoy pre-bluegrass srtringband country, jazzy stuff, Hawaiian and island music of the 20s and 30s, hokum, rural blues, etc. Would love to get to playing with some people again.

I'm open to anything from your banjo, mando, fiddle type setup to more "novelty" (for lack of a better word) instruments like kazoos, musical saw, ukuleles, washboard, washtub bass, etc., etc.

I'll even take clean tuba players.

If interested, please get in touch. I can't play it all by myself, dangit!

griffishames@yahoo.com

Thanks for listening.

Griffis

Re: Anyone live in Southwest Virginia?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 08:34:45 PM »
Nobody?  :'(

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 06:56:53 AM »
I thought there was a fellow in a jug band, but am not sure. Try searching the forum from the main page.

And welcome to WC! Hopefully someone in your area pops up.

Offline Temple

• Howdy!
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 07:31:08 AM »
Hi There,

I grew up in Blacksburg but am now living in Seattle. I did ask my sister, still living there, if she knew of anyone playing prewar blues.  She recommended that you go to the Floyd County Store on a Friday night in "downtown" Floyd (I am sure you can google them.)  They have an old time music jam that is quite well known.  Different genre, but you might meet someone who can send you in the right direction.

Good Luck!

Temple McNeer

Griffis

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 07:32:21 AM »
I thought there was a fellow in a jug band, but am not sure. Try searching the forum from the main page.

And welcome to WC! Hopefully someone in your area pops up.

Thanks. I hope so too.

There is a jug band in these parts-- The New Roanoke Jug Band. They are great. I would love to get into a similar setup.

Just seems so much of the Old Time players around here have a specific focus on bluegrass or gospel. Not to knock those genres, but it's not what I'm interested in playing really.

Griffis

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 07:37:41 AM »
Hi There,

I grew up in Blacksburg but am now living in Seattle. I did ask my sister, still living there, if she knew of anyone playing prewar blues.  She recommended that you go to the Floyd County Store on a Friday night in "downtown" Floyd (I am sure you can google them.)  They have an old time music jam that is quite well known.  Different genre, but you might meet someone who can send you in the right direction.

Good Luck!

Temple McNeer

Thanks, Temple!

Yeah, I haven't made it to Blacksburg yet but I hope to do some exploring of some of the many cool towns around here.

Haven't made it to Floyd yet either, but I am aware of their Friday and Saturday night jamborees. I'll make it down there eventually.

Floyd happens to be the home of County Records as well--a label that has been reissuing collections of old pre-war country music for quite some time.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal