collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Fellas - don't ever let your woman cook for you when she's mad. You probably won't end up dead but you'll sure wish you was! - Big Joe Duskin, boogie woogie master of the 88s, in concert Nov 12 1999

Author Topic: Is That Right Or Wrong  (Read 1455 times)

Offline Gumbo

• So Papa climbed up on top of the house
Is That Right Or Wrong
« on: May 12, 2012, 06:36:21 AM »
It's been inspiring listening to all the things people post here so I'm trying to get my fingers (and thumb) working rather than being a strummer! Here's a Son House song I've been working on 'Am I right or wrong'. I needed to re-write the lyrics to make it more personal but it's a great song to play (and sing).
Any advice criticism or free drinks greatly appreciated!

Offline colm kill paul

Re: Is That Right Or Wrong
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 08:20:42 AM »
No Free Drinks sadly Gumbo...but no advice or criticism either...I'll leave that to the qualified Weenies.

Very enjoyable performance. Good job!

Colm

Offline Gumbo

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 09:36:51 AM »
Thanks for giving it a listen, Colm. We'll see how it builds up over the next few weeks.

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 01:21:22 PM »
You two ought to join forces and metaphorically play with each other,  you can't be that far apart   ::)
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline Gumbo

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 07:16:54 PM »
I bet you do a great Kenneth Williams impersonation, Richard!

We will have to meet up some day, Colm. :)

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 06:21:05 AM »
I liked the way it went in something of a hillbilly ragtime direction. Was trying to think of who this reminded me of but failed. Chris Bouchillon maybe, but you're singing of course.

I'd try to get the thumb plunking those bass strings some more to move further away from the strumming.

Offline Gumbo

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 08:02:32 AM »
Thanks Uncle Bud. If you can hear hillbilly ragtime then I'm doing something right!  :) Getting the thumb working is Plan A. At the moment I can't quite do the thumb and sing coz I'm listening to what the thumb is doing, but it'll come I guess.

Chris Bouchillon is a new name to me. Great stuff. There are four tracks up on Archive.org - is that his complete output? Two 78s?
http://archive.org/search.php?query=creator%3A%22Chris+Bouchillon%22

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 08:35:26 AM »
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 08:39:10 AM by Stuart »

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 08:48:57 AM »
Nice job on the tune, Gumbo.  Your time has a nice snap to it and the song suits your voice.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Adam Franklin

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 09:03:56 AM »
Getting the thumb working is Plan A. At the moment I can't quite do the thumb and sing coz I'm listening to what the thumb is doing, but it'll come I guess.

The video is great stuff, full of bounce!

I've got a failsafe method of thumb learning, If you want some tab send me a mail.

Adam.

Offline Gumbo

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 11:52:05 AM »
Thanks for listening guys. Adam I'll drop you a mail.

Stuart
Thanks for the heads up on the Darby and Tarlton set - i'll check that out.
I guess I should have looked here first:
http://www.wirz.de/music/bouchfrm.htm :)

Offline ArthurBlake

• I laid him out cold, with his heels in a tub.
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 09:53:03 PM »
It's been inspiring listening to all the things people post here so I'm trying to get my fingers (and thumb) working rather than being a strummer! Here's a Son House song I've been working on 'Am I right or wrong'. I needed to re-write the lyrics to make it more personal but it's a great song to play (and sing).
Any advice criticism or free drinks greatly appreciated!

That's worth three free beers not one. That version was fine in its own right, if you do keep going towards a fingerpicking direction you will also use the left hand thumb to fret the bass string with it on chords like F instead of a barre. You have given the song a livelier feel than the original, it bounces along great and your video will also be a great help to anyone wanting to learn the tune as you seem to have all the notes and harmony there already. If you ever get down to Australia and we run into each other, expect a reasonable hangover the next morn as I didn't specify just how strong those three beers would be . :)
I met a woman she was a pigmeat some
Big fat mouth, I followed her home
She pulled a gun and broke my jaw
Didnt leave me hard on, I didnt get sore

Offline Gumbo

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2014, 11:38:59 AM »
I'm glad you liked it. It's a great song to play. There's a great propulsion in those 4 chord rags :)

I have been avoiding the left thumb as you spotted but you've got me thinking now. I'm sure there are places where it makes more sense than barres!
Thanks for your comments - not just here, but on a lot of other back porch posts recently - it's been fun revisiting some of those songs and hearing ones I missed before.

Clink :)

Offline jtbrown

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2014, 12:19:01 PM »
Nice! I really enjoyed that, and I like how you put your own stamp on both the music and the words.  (I can also see why you would have reservations about singing some of the original lyrics.)

Todd Brown

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2014, 01:56:52 PM »
An enjoyable performance, which I apparently missed two years ago, so I'm glad it resurfaced.

Cheers

Pan

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal