collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
If I made records for my own pleasure, I would only record Charlie Patton songs - Charlie Patton, honored by Bob Dylan

Author Topic: MJH-ish  (Read 2534 times)

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
MJH-ish
« on: January 27, 2010, 08:06:31 AM »
Thanks to Colm and NS we seem to be in John Hurt mode of late. Now, as a Hurt Guru Colm knows JH was a great fan of playing in open F, lap style on a homemade guitar and trying not to sound laplike, so I offer my (very) instant (very) al-fresco version of one the tunes that got me hooked way back in the 60s... eeekkk!

[attachment deleted by admin]
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
Re: MJH-ish
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 08:42:40 AM »
Errmm - am I missing something? I always associated San Francisco Bay Blues with Jesse "Lone Cat" Fuller, not MJH.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline Richard

• weekendblues
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 09:19:42 AM »
PP, no you are not missing anything, miss interpreting perchance (now she was a girl ;) ) The version I heard way back was by JH although it's not his song as we know.

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 12:30:34 PM »
Nice once it gets going. Works well on the lap i think.

Where's the Casey Bill?

Offline colm kill paul

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 01:12:27 PM »
Richard,

To have again in some small way ( sharing credit with NS) prompted another great performance into life makes me very happy.

I like this alot! The full stop and four count in the middle is the spice. A large white wine is yours sir! And well earned.

I have sent off my deposit this week for 2010 EBA so hopefully we'll hook up there and you can collect.

Now who's next up with a MJH inspired tune...?

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 01:29:50 AM »
PP, no you are not missing anything, miss interpreting perchance (now she was a girl ;) ) The version I heard way back was by JH although it's not his song as we know.

There you go, showing my ignorance yet again. You can educate me at Euroweenie 2010. Nice slide by the way.
Barbecue Bob

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 11:39:38 AM »
When did Hurt record/perform SF Bay Blues?

Offline Richard

• weekendblues
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 12:51:33 PM »
Thanks for coments it was intended to be a bit light hearted, apart that is from Colm's offer offer of a magnum of Chablis   at EBA :P

UB, I know not. It was played to me a long time ago and I was told by the guitarist who I knew, who also played the song that the recording by JH, I think it could have been a live recording  ^-^

Offline colm kill paul

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 09:48:51 AM »
Er... Magnum....that's an ice lolly isn't it? Ok Richard if that's your preference we'll stop by the tuck shop on campus!  ;D

Offline Richard

• weekendblues
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010, 02:20:59 PM »
What a kind offer, however as you will doubtless recall the Pavillion bar is on the way to the said shop so I thought we could stop orff there on the way  :P

Offline Guitar Jim

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 07:03:55 PM »
Richard, I think I've read most things ever written about Mississippi John Hurt, and this is the first time I've ever heard someone say MJH played lap style guitar. From your description it seems you're saying MJH didn't play 'lap slide" but simply placed the guitar on his lap, face up, and then fretted the instrument with his left hand fingers. And you say there's a recording of this.

Can you please give some more information about this?  Was it done in a studio or was it done on a home recorder at someone's home?  Is there any literature published anywhere, even if it's just web blogs etc etc, that also mentions that MJH played in open F with the guitar facing upwards on his lap? Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 07:12:33 PM by Guitar Jim »

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 07:15:03 PM »
I reckon Richard was kidding, Jim.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Guitar Jim

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2010, 09:41:53 PM »
Oh I see. Hard to tell sometimes via just the "written" word. I've played a few MJH tunes with a Weissenborn hollowneck Hawaiian guitar: My Creole Belle can sound pretty good that way......... it's still possible to do the alternating thumb plus the melody even in lap slide style.

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2010, 03:13:22 AM »
Oh I see. Hard to tell sometimes via just the "written" word. I've played a few MJH tunes with a Weissenborn hollowneck Hawaiian guitar: My Creole Belle can sound pretty good that way......... it's still possible to do the alternating thumb plus the melody even in lap slide style.

Well, Jim - you can't make claims like that without including either a video or audio file... We'd all love to hear it!
Barbecue Bob

Offline Richard

• weekendblues
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2010, 01:09:27 PM »
GJ, I was indeed kidding, except I did play it lap style and in open F. Now, young PP is quite right, why don't you post some that Creolle Belle?

Offline Guitar Jim

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2010, 06:09:36 PM »
I don't have a lap slide guitar at the moment, but I do have an old sample recording of me playing and singing My Creole Belle on a dulcimer that was set up for lap slide: It's just a short home recording of a verse or two ....... I was selling the dulcimer on Ebay and I needed a short sound sample for it. http://www.mediafire.com/?yjimxmnecwm

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2010, 01:31:03 AM »
GJ, I was indeed kidding, except I did play it lap style and in open F. Now, young PP is quite right, why don't you post some that Creolle Belle?

That's right Richard - "young"!!!!!  :D

And I see Jim has posted it, so I'm off for a listen.

Edit: Just listened. A dulcimer! Take that all you banjo and ukulele (hang on, that's me) players! Seriously though, nice to hear a different instrument applied to the genre.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 01:36:18 AM by Parlor Picker »
Barbecue Bob

Offline Richard

• weekendblues
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2010, 12:08:17 PM »
I'm orff for a listen as well.

PP, young... well... coughs etc