collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
You heard 'em at home say gamblers just don't loose out ain't ya? We all taken' a chance when we play one of them numbers and it don't come out like we want it - but play 'em anyhow... Keep on bettin'...you're bound to win. That's when you gonna play policy all over again - Lightnin' Hopkins Policy Blues

Author Topic: Beginning Picker  (Read 2922 times)

Offline Tall Bob Flood

Beginning Picker
« on: January 12, 2010, 04:48:32 AM »
Hi Folks,

I'm a beginner with fingerpicking... I really like to know what you think of my attempts because I just don't have someone around who can judge it properly...

My first attempt is on Papa Charlie Jackson's famous 'Shake that thing'... Let me know!!!! Thanks in advance!

p.s. Sorry for the recording... not hq
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 05:57:01 AM by Hooligan601 »
Check my youtube channel:

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
Re: Beginning Picker
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 05:54:20 AM »
Sounds to me like you have a solid foundation there.  The alt bass is steady (something that many beginners struggle to get initially), the timing is sound and the notes are ringing clear.

With time and confidence, the tune will swing more- but for a beginner I think thats pretty darned good.

One of the things that I was told when starting out with alt bass stuff, to help get it swinging (by Woody Mann as it happens) is to think about trying to push through the D string a little with the thumb on the upbeats- i.e. dont be scared to catch a bit of the third  string with a good firm thumb stroke on the alt bass.  So long as its damped (and I can hear you've got some damping going on in the bass already) it can provide some extra oomph.

I should add that it took me years to be able to do it comfortably!  Just one of those little long term things to have in the back of your mind when noodling.

As a general thing, you may find that playing a little more forcefully will also get it swinging a bit more, but again that comes with time- and is a matter of having the option rather than being the "correct" way of playing. ;D

Offline Blue in VT

• Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 07:09:40 AM »
First of Welcome!

Secondly...I think you tune sounds great!  Shake that thing is one of those tunes that I warm up with most times I pick up my guitar.  I can also recommend you give MJH's Spike Driver Blues a try...like shake that thing it is basically one chord and really allows you to focus on the bass and treble note separation.

I agree that falling a little heavy on the 2 + 4 will give you a bit more bounce and swing ...but overall you are well on your way!

Cheers,

Blue
Blue in VT

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 09:19:21 AM »
Hello, welcome etc etc and go for it  ;)
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline eagle rockin daddy

• Oh Glory How Happy I Am
    • myspace site
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 06:48:43 AM »
wow, sounds great to me.  once you get the alternating bass going, which you do, the rest will come.  Keep practicing.

Mike

Offline Tall Bob Flood

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 10:01:40 AM »
Thank you very much you all... for your kind comments. I really appreciate that, thanks!!!!! My second attempt on Mississippi John Hurt's (or who arranged it???) 'Nobody's dirty business' ... I know it's not perfect, but hey!!!! I'm just beginning  ;)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 10:14:53 AM by Tall Bob Flood »

Offline Norfolk Slim

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 01:28:08 PM »
You may be only beginning but you sound a good way down the road to me.  Keep at it- what youve posted is very sound playing indeed for someone starting out. 8)

Offline Tall Bob Flood

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 11:25:27 AM »
Hey Folks!!!!

Here's my attempt on Freight Train by Libba Cotten... Some flaws but let me know what you think of it and what needs improvements!!!

Thanks in advance!!!

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 01:14:10 PM »
Sounds fine to me, although there is a buzz of some sort?
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline Tall Bob Flood

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2010, 11:20:57 AM »
Ok... I didn't play guitar for a long time and now I gave it another attempt... Let me know what you think of it!

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2010, 11:42:37 AM »
You seem to have it. Just keep on playing.

I see you are in Holland, have you thought of getting over to Bluesweek in the UK next year? You could push your playing a long way with the foundation you have.    Try www.euroblues.co.uk

Offline Tall Bob Flood

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2010, 01:01:54 AM »
Hello there!

Thank you for the kind and motivating comments!

@ TobyWalker: what do you think of as daily practice? I mean, right now I'm just learning new songs everyday... is that really 'practicing'? Or do you mean I have 'go to the woodshed' and doing all these kind of technique exercises??? I'm really a beginner and I just don't know!

@ Blueshome: very intersting this BluesWeek, I'm really interested in things like this... What are the costs of this event?

Offline Norfolk Slim

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2010, 01:16:10 AM »
Looks like I got here before Blueshome...

The cost last year was just under ?600 for the week.  Which is a lot...  However, you do get accomodation, 3 decent meals a day, 5 pretty solid days of teaching, a concert by the professionals (well, 2 actually), opportunity to be involved in a student concert, lecture by Paul Oliver, lots of opportunity for jamming until the small hours, lots of opportunity for individual advice from the tutors if you want it, etc etc...

Plus you get to meet weenie luminaries such as Blueshome and Richard, among others. 
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 01:17:39 AM by Norfolk Slim »

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2010, 02:39:24 AM »
And why not check out the Euroweenie Weekend at the beginning of April? (See Euroweenie 2011 thread). Southampton airport is not too far away. Alternatively you could take the ferry and drive along the coast. There are no formal lessons as such, just a pleasant meeting of like-minded people. Abilities vary greatly, but everyone is open-minded and generous with their skills (or lack of skills in my case!). The only costs are travel and hotel. The hotel even lets us have a function room free-of-charge.

En ik kan Nederlands met jij spreken....
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2010, 07:06:19 AM »
The Bluesweek tutor list is usually published January time. You get 25 hours tuition (if you can absorb it) plus the chance to play with like-minded others. There are students from various parts of Europe; Belgium Holland, France Finland, Italy.....
There is no other game in town. To match this you need to go to Port Townsend or Augusta in the USA.

If you think Euroweenie appeals please send me a PM.

BTW Slim I've never been called a "luminary" before. What's it mean? Nothing rude I hope.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal