collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Long made it possible for me to get on records, so what little money he did take from me, if any at all, he was entitled to it. He didn't take something from me - Brownie McGhee

Author Topic: Daddy Stovepipe  (Read 16572 times)

Offline daddystovepipe

• daddystovepipe youtube
Daddy Stovepipe
« on: January 21, 2007, 11:42:06 AM »
First post - not really authentic but fun

Offline daddystovepipe

• daddystovepipe youtube
Re: Yo Yo Blues - Blind Lemon Jefferson
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 12:14:36 PM »
Hi all, here's some more info about the song.
It's in the key of F but played out of the E position, capo I.  Most ideas I used derive from Lemon's playing in E like in Yo Yo Blues or Piney Woods Mama. I learned the basics from Ari Eisinger's BLJ dvd.
The main difference of my version with Lemon's songs in the key of E is of course the tempo.  I wanted to do something different yet retain the character of the song; it sounds a bit more modern this way but one could debate about that.
The guitar is a Gibson copy, a Gr?ven L-00v. I use a thumbpick and bare fingers.
The recording was done with a Sony MD and one Sony condenser mike.   
I'll post some more BLJ in the coming days.  I'm working on a lap slide version of One Kind Favor in open C. 
Cheers,
Carl

LoneWolf

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 12:43:37 PM »
Sounds very authentic to me. Lemon have been proud. Great stuff.

RichdCollins

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 01:01:41 AM »
Good to hear you  again..last  time  was at Laurelthurst in portland  you played police dog blues  and  soo cow  soo...the trick to Blind Lemon Jefferson is  that he whips  his  guitar..(too bad  there are not  any videos of him) Chet Atkins  doesn't  'whip' his  guitar...
...When one performs on the street people pass by so  fast..that  one has less than 30 seconds to get their attention...BLJ's verses are  really  geared that way..as well.  Take  care, Richd

Offline daddystovepipe

• daddystovepipe youtube
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 07:12:26 AM »
Thanks for the comment Rich.  I'm afraid this is a case of "mistaken identity".  I'm European and I never played in Portland... or there must be a parallell universe after all... ;)
Carl 

Offline daddystovepipe

• daddystovepipe youtube
Daddy Stovepipe
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2007, 07:22:37 AM »
Hi all,

This is my stab at Crow Jane by Carl Martin.  E-position, capo I
An interesting arrangement since it departs from the usual 8-bar progression.
Carl Martin also used this arrangement for "Goodmorning Judge" and while accompaning Billy Bird on his "Mill Man Blues" - so lotsa mileage for this great tune  ;D
The tremolo brushing and the use of the F#7 make this song unique. 
I do the brushing with my middle finger.
The second brake,which needs more work,  is mine and inspired by Pat Donohue's tremolo brushing with base like he does in his rendition of "The Mooche"
I hope you'll enjoy this one and feedback would be appreciated.
Cheers,
Carl

37 Gibson

Re: Crow Jane - Carl Martin
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2007, 08:37:51 AM »
I really enjoyed that - You do a nice job with Carl Martin's brushing technique, and the vocals and playing come together nicely.  I like the variations you throw in to keep it interesting.  Thanks for posting that.  [If you haven't heard it, you might be interested in Ernie Hawkins' version of this song, which is a very different 12-bar arrangement based on C-position chords but capoed up to the fourth fret so it's actually in the key of E.]

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2007, 08:38:28 AM »
Hey, Daddy Stovepipe - that's some fancy picking! Nice job. It sounds great, my only comment would be maybe you want to slow it down a pinch. I think it rushes along a bit too much, but this is a minor point.

Regarding that tremelo and bass, I think Hacksaw Harney does this. Every try any of his stuff? Anyway, that's quite a technique.  :o

Very enjoyable!

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2007, 03:08:28 PM »
Very nice Carl -- you've got a good blues voice!  Would agree with UB, it sounds rushed in spots.... and maybe the whole tempo could be slowed a bit.  Minor points, love the variations!

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2007, 03:59:25 PM »
Hey, Daddy:

That may be the best blues voice I've heard on the Backporch. Seriously.

But you've got to slow it down. At the end of each stanza your vocally rushing to finish...
With a lush, complex voice like you have, you want to draaaaw it out, not push it into compression-mode. (I can't believe I'm giving others vocal ideas).

the guitar-playing is great, but again, if it was slowed down, you'd be able to appreciate all the licks.

Please record it again, 30% slower. I'll put it on my .mp3 player.

Alex
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 10:52:42 AM by GhostRider »

Offline daddystovepipe

• daddystovepipe youtube
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2007, 08:07:18 AM »
Thanks for the comments guys, appreciate it.
Slowing down is a main problem for me because the way I play reflects my personality : I talk fast, I eat fast...and I have a tendency to let swing everything I play.
I thought I was playing it : "just a little bit faster that Carl Martin", so I checked his version again...it is way slower than I thought.  Thanks for pointing that out to me.  I'll work up a new version, may take a little time but "I'll be back"... ;D
Carl 

mississippijohnhurt1928

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2007, 12:45:32 PM »
This is great, keep it up!!!

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2007, 12:56:36 PM »
That's real good. Very rich arrangement, vocals are excellent, entertaining all round. I like the tremolo brushing with walking bass very much, consider it stolen! Very nice picking.

Offline daddystovepipe

• daddystovepipe youtube
Daddy Stovepipe
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2007, 02:33:15 AM »
Hi,

I've been trying out my new video camera so here's a few short instrumental pieces I've put on youtube.
The first one in in drop-d and based on Dutch guitar wiz Ton van Bergeyck's Boogie Dance which is a mixture of Tampa Red and Lonnie Johnson licks.
The second one is the only slide piece I know that is in standard tuning and is called Frogtime Stagger by Nick Katzman (from his first Kicking Mule lp)
Enjoy,
Carl

Offline onewent

• Mr. So and So
    • vintagebluesguitars.com
Re: Boogie Dance / Frogtime Stagger
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2007, 06:23:03 AM »
..I think your video camera works pretty well !  ..oh, and your playing's not bad either  ;-)
I like both pieces, smooth and controlled .. the guitar has a great sound, too .. L-00?  ..or L-00-type?  Keep recording on YouTube, it's great to watch .. thanks..Tom

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal