collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
You know, folks, I haven't been able to get this thing in tune all night. That's all right, though, it makes it sound like there's more of us - Del McCoury, still fiddling with the tuning of his guitar half-way through the second set of a concert

Author Topic: Chezz, Wolfman, Rory all play this Sunday in Portland  (Read 2844 times)

Offline Chezztone

• Hey!
    • Steve Cheseborough 1920s-30s-style blues
Chezz, Wolfman, Rory all play this Sunday in Portland
« on: July 03, 2008, 04:05:54 PM »
Hey Folks -- If anyone is within driving (or walking, biking, whatever) distance of Portland, come on down Sunday (July 6) for the final day of the Waterfront Blues Fest. Or come earlier if you want -- it starts today -- but Sunday should be a good one: I do a performance and also a workshop, "Tommy Johnson, Jimmie Rodgers and the Blues Yodel." Robert "Wolfman" Belfour and Rory Block also are both on the program that day, and both of them does a performance and a workshop too. Full schedule at waterfrontbluesfest.com. Cheers and please say hello if you're at the fest. SC

Offline Cambio

• Howdy!
Re: Chezz, Wolfman, Rory all play this Sunday in Portland
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 07:00:19 AM »
Hi Chezz,
That sounds like a real interesting workshop.  I wish I lived near Portland because I'd like to hear your take on it.  Yodeling would be a good discussion topic here, but of course it would be a lot more fun to hear in person.
Have a good one.
Todd

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 10:16:18 PM »
You yodel Todd?  I like singing(or attempting) Jimmie Rodgers "No More Hard Time Blues"  with some discretionary yodels  :D - lots fun.

Offline Cambio

• Howdy!
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 07:31:36 AM »
I do enjoy a good yodel.  I yodel a little bit.  I prefer the blues yodelers over the cowboy yodelers, which tend to get boring after a while. 
The classic Swiss yodeling is fascinating stuff.  I used to have an old timer neighbor who was Swiss.  Some nights, after he'd had a few drinks, he'd step into the backyard and yodel.  It scared the hell out of me the first time I heard it, but I learned to enjoy it. 

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 01:30:17 AM »

The classic Swiss yodeling is fascinating stuff.  I used to have an old timer neighbor who was Swiss.  Some nights, after he'd had a few drinks, he'd step into the backyard and yodel.  It scared the hell out of me the first time I heard it, but I learned to enjoy it. 

Ah - Helvetic Blues.  I like the sound of that - the idea, but not sure about the yodelling.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 01:39:09 PM »
Swedish Reindeer calling is another yodel related form that can be pretty great. There's a great example on Pat conte's the secret museum of mankind volume one.
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal