collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I love women but I'm not crazy about them - Sam Chatmon, sharing his personal views on relationships with a young John Miller

Author Topic: 'Mississippi Grind' movie  (Read 1275 times)

Offline Chezztone

• Hey!
    • Steve Cheseborough 1920s-30s-style blues
'Mississippi Grind' movie
« on: January 16, 2016, 10:29:54 AM »
Mississippi Grind -- Nice indie movie about lowlife gamblers on a road trip from Iowa to New Orleans. Great acting from Ryan Reynolds and Ben Mendelsohn as the two buddies, and many of the smaller parts also well acted. Directed by Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck.
The gambling scenes are all quite realistic and gritty. But what makes the film is the music! They wisely stick with Mississippi blues, old and new, even when the duo are in Iowa or Missouri. There's a scene with a live blues band, and it's Leo "Bud" Welch! The soundtrack also includes Paul "Wine" Jones, Furry Lewis, Memphis Minnie, Joe Callicott, Jimmie Lee Williams et al. Marshall Chapman, a countryish singer-songwriter, also appears live in another barroom scene, and sounds good. Check it out through Netflix, Redbox or your local video store.

Offline jrn

Re: 'Mississippi Grind' movie
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 11:35:23 AM »
I wasn't aware of this one. I will definitely check it out. Thanks!
Quitman, Mississippi

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
Re: 'Mississippi Grind' movie
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 09:55:08 AM »
Saw it yesterday. I honestly didn't like the movie that well but yeah a lot of (country) blues music used effectively throughout the film. It also had Big Bill Broonzy's "This Train Is Bound For Glory".

Tags: films 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal