collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
He said he would play for me if I wished and I urged him to play me a number. His ability as a guitarist is unbelievable. I have never heard better playing - Reverend Gary Davis, Blind student welfare case worker Laura Miller in Durham, NC 1941

Author Topic: What are we listening to now?  (Read 10040 times)

Offline MarkC

Re: What are we listening to now?
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2022, 04:56:15 AM »
Thanks for sharing that one John. I’m surprised I hadn’t heard of him.

Here’s “Brother John” from The Wild Tchoupitoulas album, which included the Neville Brothers, the Meters and some other members of the New Orleans musical community:

When Louis Armstrong came up in another post here, I dove back into some of his early recordings. This version of “Cake Walking Babies From Home” by the Clarence Williams Blue Five from 1925 includes Armstrong and Sidney Bechet, vocal by Eva Taylor. Don’t miss the last 45 seconds when Louis lets out a blast and let’s it rip:

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2022, 06:11:57 AM »

Offline eric

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2022, 09:28:16 AM »
That's some great stuff folks are posting. In addition to the usual evening jazz roundup down here, I've been listening to a lot of Mance Lipscomb while trying to learn a couple of his tunes with the help of john Miller.  I've reached the conclusion that Mance was a genius.

Here's some Dexter Gordon to get you through the morning.

--
Eric

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2022, 09:28:16 AM »
Thanks for posting the Che Apalache videos, Lindy. I particularly liked "Maria". That fiddler has a great and very strong voice--he was standing about three feet away from the microphone. It's neat to see someone sing full voice like that while using a microphone. The band's rhythmic groove on that tune is well worked out, it's really a treat.

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2022, 09:32:56 AM »
Hi all,
Here's what I'm listening to right now, on another browser--Bobby Timmons, with his trio, playing his composition, "Dat Dere". What a great tune!

All best,
Johnm

One of my favorite jazz players. Very underrated.

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2022, 10:22:07 AM »
I am not much of a jazzer, but I can see the appeal in that Bobby Timmons tune.

My tastes stray rather further from the general weenie consensus.   At the moment I having a bit of a Tindersticks phase, ahead of seeing them in concert in May.  Music and voice so rich and melancholy, but in a powerful joyful way- if that makes sense.   They are masters of layering and building- this tune is beautiful throughout but shifts to a crescendo after about 3.30....  Gets me every time.

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2022, 11:13:40 AM »
I held back from posting this one because I didn't want to overwhelm everyone with Che Apalache. But your positive feedback makes me want to share it.

The story I heard--it might even be true--was that the fiddler spent time in Japan as an exchange student or something like that, which is where he learned this very old Japanese melody. The band uses various parts of their instruments to create the sounds of Kotos, Gottans, and Shamisens. I heard them play this at the last live Wintergrass Festival two years ago. Brought down the house . . .

(Wintergrass is going live in-person later this month, yay!)

Lindy

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2022, 12:27:06 PM »
Don't know why you hesitated Lindy, that is very cool... I like it better than the first tunes you posted!  What creativity and a beautiful melody.

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2022, 11:05:08 AM »
I love salsa, son, rumba. Someone sent this link to me this morning, so I got up and danced around the room. Dare you to listen without moving your body:

This one's more sedate, but still makes the body want to move:

Lindy

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2022, 02:08:31 PM »
Hi Lindy:

I'm guessing they may have been tipped off by today's Town Hall Seattle e-mail. Here's the link to the event page:

https://townhallseattle.org/event/global-rhythms-kiki-valera-y-su-son-cubano/

It looks like there's going to be a reception before the show in the lobby at 6:00--hopefully a "meet and greet."

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2022, 04:04:29 PM »
Yup, that's the same message my friend forwarded to me. Hopefully there'll be a dance floor in the reception area.

L

Offline islandgal

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2022, 09:20:23 AM »
Afro Cuban music. Here is a great example. I love everything about this video, but especially the powerful singing of Eliades Ochoa and Kasse Mady Diabate.

Jean

Offline eric

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2022, 10:12:23 AM »
Really enjoyed that one, Jean.  Thanks
--
Eric

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2022, 01:06:04 PM »
Fantastic Jean - thanks for posting!

Offline Forgetful Jones

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2022, 09:59:07 AM »
Here's a song I've been listening to lately. I don't know anything about the artist, Bert Hare, besides the fact that he was recorded by Art Rosenbaum in the 1970s. This song was included in the compilation Art of Field Recording Vol. 1.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal