collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Always keep your hat on. You know back in those days there was quite a lot of jealous guys in the audience and sometimes you have to run. But, If you got your hat on your head and you have to run, you know you left the house with it - Mississippi John Hurt giving advice to Archie Edwards

Author Topic: Your main guitar(s)?  (Read 57280 times)

Offline ArthurBlake

• I laid him out cold, with his heels in a tub.
Re: Your main guitar(s)?
« Reply #150 on: February 27, 2015, 09:01:50 PM »
Hi Arthur.

I would suggest, that in the instances where an external condenser microphone isn't practical, you could first try out a sounboard attached pickup, like the relatively affordable Schatten Dualie.

As it is attached on the sounboard on the outside of the instrument, it doesn't alter the instrument in any way.  You'll need an external preamp/ D.I. box as well. The L.R.Baggs Para D.I. has served me well for many years for that purpose. You'll be able to use this setup on any other instrument as well, if needed.

Cheers
Thanks Pan, I shall look into that, normally I wouldn't be nervous about this but the new Gilet is a work of art and as the years go by it will increase in value unlike most guitars that decrease in value as time goes on. I also don't trust anyone in my area to do it. Maybe Darryl Wheeler would do it. I will call John Morris again and get his advice too.

Pan
I met a woman she was a pigmeat some
Big fat mouth, I followed her home
She pulled a gun and broke my jaw
Didnt leave me hard on, I didnt get sore

Offline EddieD

• How's she goin' b'y?
« Reply #151 on: April 03, 2015, 10:28:02 AM »
Here are my guitars.

Gretsch New Yorker, Gretsch Centerblock Electromatic, Hagstrom BJ-12, Dobro Hound Dog.

My main guitar is the New Yorker. The 12 String has been getting lots of playing lately as it's the newest edition. The Dobro was the only guitar I had for a long time so countless hours were logged on that. Now days it stays in open tuning for slide. I have barely played the electric Gretsch. I love it and have a beautiful tube amp but I cant get enough acoustic. I bought it to replace the Gretsch Electromatic that was stolen from my old apartment.

Offline EddieD

• How's she goin' b'y?
« Reply #152 on: April 22, 2015, 01:12:59 PM »
I recently sold the Grestch Electromatic in the the picture I posted above this post. It was the most expensive guitar I owned and I never picked it up. It sounded amazing and played really well....but I just don't play electric enough to keep it around. I'll pick up another electric guitar along the way sometime I would imagine. I mainly play the Gretsch New Yorker and the Hagstrom 12 string anyway. The Dobro actually sounds quite good for a cheapish guitar.

Offline harriet

« Reply #153 on: April 23, 2015, 02:10:50 AM »
Hi Arthur.

I would suggest, that in the instances where an external condenser microphone isn't practical, you could first try out a sounboard attached pickup, like the relatively affordable Schatten Dualie.

As it is attached on the sounboard on the outside of the instrument, it doesn't alter the instrument in any way.  You'll need an external preamp/ D.I. box as well. The L.R.Baggs Para D.I. has served me well for many years for that purpose. You'll be able to use this setup on any other instrument as well, if needed.
Pan

I just ordered one of these for a new parlor - a kay - that isn't projecting as well as the others and  wanted to note that Schatten offers a simple preamp, single and dual model, same price as the pickup. Not sure if I am going to put it on the outside or inside though -  its the same model for both inside or outside but the inside is constructed to run out the widened hole at the guitar's bottom.

I don't have a main guitar at this point, I have about eight cheap ladder braced guitars that get used according to the song I am working on, a gibson Nick Lucas reissue thats usually in the closet as are 2 small model resonators, one of which is a very light wood model that I got to play out with if I decide to do that and two les Paul Specials.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 02:46:14 AM by harriet »

Offline iwbiek

• Howdy!
« Reply #154 on: April 27, 2015, 12:39:10 AM »
Man, my guitars are pretty humble compared to the impressive line-up here.

I own two acoustics.  First and foremost is a Martin D-16GT I got back in 2004.  I bought just a month or two before going overseas.  I had wanted the rosewood version--I was way into bluegrass picking at that time and wanted as much thump as possible--but had to settle for mahogany because the local music store wouldn't be able to get a rosewood for like 4 months.  That thing has been to hell and back, and looks damn near like it could have been bought in the '60s or '70s!  I had a Fishman installed a few years ago, and the neck cracked once right at the base of the headstock when the case fell over at a bus stop.  I was on my way to a gig, didn't discover the break till I got there, and the damn thing was STILL in tune!  I played a two-hour show with it, then had it glued back together.  They did a great job!  You have to hold it up to the light to see there was ever a break and it plays just as good as ever!  I used to drool over D-28s, and still wouldn't turn one down, but I wouldn't trade that old D-16GT for nothing!  It fits me like a glove.

My other acoustic is an old Harmony Patrician blond archtop, probably from the '60s.  Plays like a dream, especially if you want a Blind Boy Fuller sound.

My electric is a '52 reissue blond Telecaster.  I have a Fender Blues Jr. in the States but it's just too damn heavy to bring over here to Europe.  A few years ago I got a Vox Valvitronix modeling amp and despite being sneered at by a lot of pickers I love it.  It's loud as hell.  I've heard it referred to as a practice amp but I've never had to mic it.  I can approximate my favorite electric players pretty well--Hound Dog Taylor, Albert Collins, and Keith Richards.  If I ever get my Blues Jr. over here I'll definitely have to get some pedals because I'm use to distortion now.

My dream is to own a National Style O, vintage or new, I don't care.  Maybe one day, if teachers suddenly start getting paid what they're worth! :P

Offline RobBob

• Blues is truth.
« Reply #155 on: April 30, 2015, 08:02:43 PM »
I just picked up a Gibson SJ 12 fret new at a bargain price so it plays blues along with my L-00.  Gibson has that blues sound for me.

Offline sabocat

• Howdy!
« Reply #156 on: May 01, 2015, 11:48:23 AM »
I never responded to this thread probably because I am too fickle to have a "main" guitar.  The three I tend to rely on the most would be:

1.  1942 Gibson J-50.  Let's just say nothing quite like them before or after. 

2. 1930s Oahu 69K "Nick Lucas" (1st generation).  As the name suggests a Kay Kraft-built guitar with a body that has the same specs as the Gibson Nick Lucas but with a long scale neck.  A big, clean bass presence and loud enough to scare the Hellhound off your trail.  The 1 13/16" nut and 2 5/16" string spread make this one about as good a fingerpicker as there is.

3. 1930s Oscar Schmidt-made Galiano Jumbo.  Lo- Fi as it gets but the larger body moves more air giving it a bit more aggression, bite and oomph than its smaller body counterparts.   Kind of the perfect foil to the Oahu.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 12:41:07 PM by sabocat »

Offline iwbiek

• Howdy!
« Reply #157 on: May 01, 2015, 01:08:05 PM »
I just picked up a Gibson SJ 12 fret new at a bargain price so it plays blues along with my L-00.  Gibson has that blues sound for me.
I never knew Gibson made an SJ that joined at the 12th fret.

I love 12th fret guitars.  I'm lusting after a couple in Recording King's "Dirty '30s" series.  12th fret, parlor size, slotted headstock...yes, ma'am!

Offline kinsuk

• Howdy!
« Reply #158 on: July 05, 2015, 05:21:53 PM »
i have a Pluto guitar and a hand made guitar(instruction given by me to the carpenter) whose neck (a hobmer guitar's neck)broke  stupid me !! i dropped it the ratio of neck to body was about 10:1  1st time  i made it  . Planning to learn so i can play and if i get money ill buy me a Harmony Sovereign H1203 Guitar

Offline GrasshopperBlues52499

• Howdy!
« Reply #159 on: May 10, 2017, 05:43:04 AM »
Maybe a little late here, but I think I'll play:
1. A 1966 custom Harmony Stella -- restored/customized for a school senior project: solid Birch, ebony bridge, tobacco sunburst, tuned to Vestapol.
2. A 1940s Regal "McKinney" parlor: solid Spruce/Birch, rosewood fingerboard/bridge, tuned to Spanish.
3. (soon to be) Mid-thirties Grand Concert Stella: solid Spruce/Mahogany, pyramid bridge, tuned to Standard.
4. Gretsch G9241 Alligator Spider resonator: laminate body with Mahogany veneer, Mahogany neck/mother-of-toilet-seat veneer, tuned to low Standard with 13s.
hee hee well child

Offline tmylet

« Reply #160 on: May 10, 2017, 08:13:54 AM »
At the moment I own something like 10 guitars but have been playing, almost exclusively, my wife's Fraulini Loretta. It works for just about everything I play: blues, old time backup, fingerpicking, sock ryhthm...even a little flat picking. It sounds like something on an old 78.

If she didn't let me play it, I'd be ordering one for myself.
Dr. Tommy

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
« Reply #161 on: May 10, 2017, 10:58:50 AM »
I'd forgotten about this thread.  So when it was dragged back to life again, I though I'd havea  look and see what my answer was.  Looks like, many years ago now, I answered:
"Martin D-1.
'33 Duolian
Seagull 12 string
An Alhambra nylon string flamenco guitar which is criminally underused
A blue, plastic roundbacked Tanglewood electro acoustic which is just the easiest guitar to play I have ever held.

On my wish list.....

A small bodied acoustic
A good tricone
A weissenborn...."

Time has moved on somewhat!   I have the D1 still and still like how it sounds.  The duolian doesnt get much play.

Main guitars now are my Stella Gambler, Champlin L-1 (made by Weenie member Nobocaster) and Regal Le Domino.  Along with a Harmony Stella 12....   I am fortunate.  And never expected to have such a collection when I posted all those years ago!

Offline Marshcat

• Aloha!
« Reply #162 on: May 11, 2017, 12:36:30 AM »
Slim: little-played '33 Duolians deserve an outing to BBT2 next time you come along... >:D
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 12:38:22 AM by Marshcat »

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #163 on: May 11, 2017, 08:27:38 AM »
I was thinking about how your "main guitar" can change over the years. External events recently caused me to switch to a guitar I had not played a lot in the past. Firstly, my Guild has cracked back and top and may never be the same. Second, my Tonk American bridge is lifting and needs repair. I think it's the climate up here in the Mohawk Valley, Adirondack foothills.

The third thing that happened was meeting Andy Cohen at a recent house concert, and playing with him after the show. We touched on Gary Davis, Frank Stokes, Merle Travis. It was great to be able to sit down with him and run through several songs, signature licks and generally natter on about our mutual interest.

The guitar I took with me was a Gibson J-45 koa-back custom shop instrument I bought in Austin. I grabbed it because I thought it might suit the material. Wow, it sounded- and played great backing up Andy's more ancient Gibson J-45.

So it instantly became my 'new' main guitar, for the foreseeable future, which may or may not be a long time. Pic below, plus a shot of Andy with one of the two Washburns he had with him.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 08:59:30 AM by Rivers »

Offline Wesley

« Reply #164 on: May 15, 2017, 07:36:45 PM »
I'm primarily a mandolin player but my primary guitar is the 67 Martin D-18 I bought in 1969. That's what I use in public on the rare occasion I'm not playing a mandolin. But I also love my two Collings. An OM2HG and a 12 fret 000 slothead. And I also own my late brothers Gibson 12 string. It's from sometime in the early 60's and a real cannon.  It has a neck like a baseball bat but I wouldn't change a thing.

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal