collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
We are told to our faces often that though our quartet is one of the best that has been heard up here, they would like us better if we would "play the Nigger" - their own words - more... every day we are made to understand that if there was less refinement about us and more fool, we would do better... When I have about three persons ask for the [spirituals] and about four score ask that we dance and sing songs which tell of Negroes stealing chickens, I make no pretensions to try to please - Tuskegee Quartet member Isaac Fisher, in a letter to Dr. Booker T. Washington, c. 1900

Author Topic: "Every Day Seem Like Murder Here--Hayes McMullan"--It's out!  (Read 3803 times)

Offline RobBob

• Blues is truth.
Re: "Every Day Seem Like Murder Here--Hayes McMullan"--It's out!
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2017, 05:09:40 AM »
I knew you all would know about this gem.  I found it while rummaging through the best local CD/LP shop in town while my wife went to yoga next door.  This shop has had a good to very good blues section forever and when this gem popped up I had a flash back to fifty years ago when I'd find a recording by an artist that looked interesting but I had personally never heard.  What a gem of a recording and what man Mr McMullan must have been.  His singing and his guitar playing are magnificent.  What a treasure and to feel that excitement about a purchase again was timeless.

Offline Lastfirstface

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2017, 06:36:41 AM »
Also a shame that Light in the Attic don't appear to do higher quality electronic copies (FLAC etc) rather than just MP3s.  I'm not really a chronic audiophile but...

Looks like you might be able to buy it in FLAC from their Bandcamp page:

https://hayesmcmullan.bandcamp.com/album/everyday-seem-like-murder-here

Offline RobBob

• Blues is truth.
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2017, 07:27:58 PM »
I just found this CD in my local store and the thrill of finding an artist recorded just after my high school days when I was playing blues and living life with a zeal that is hard to find today.  What a thrill to find this fine recording by this strong artist.  He reminds me of old recordings I will now dig out and more importantly he reminds me of some fine folks I heard, and played with over the years and miss today.  What a gift this CD is at a very personal level.

Offline Forgetful Jones

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2021, 07:03:27 AM »
Hello all-
I was a few years behind on this one, but I finally took the time to listen to this album. For any other stragglers out there... this is a must listen.
I agree with all the superlatives of previous posts. The voice, the playing, the recordings are outstanding.
Interesting & unexpected song arrangements throughout. There are moments that sound both familiar yet fresh at the same time.

Hurry Sundown & Goin' Away Mama are instant favorites

I streamed the album, so now I'll probably have to find a hard copy for those liner notes.

Tags: Hayes McMullan 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal