collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
We used to go to different people's houses, you know. In those days I mean they could hear music and - if somebody could play an instrument, man, they would get up at night, from one o'clock; and they'd fix food and they'd have drinks and they'd stay up till five, six o'clock in the morning and give you money. It wasn't a dance but a serenade; we'd go from house to house. In those days there wasn't too much things like juke boxes, high fidelity sound, wasn't nothing like that then; and whenever somebody could play and could play well, he was considered as somebody; he could go anywhere and he had it made, you know? - Baby Doo Caston, on playing music in Natchez in the 1920s, interview with Jeff Todd Titon

Author Topic: Adelphi Records  (Read 1669 times)

Offline jpeters609

Adelphi Records
« on: November 10, 2008, 09:36:23 AM »
Does anyone know the status of Gene Rosenthal's Adelphi label? With the recent discussion and admiration of George Mitchell's field recordings (and the reissue of the "Living Country Blues USA" series), it occurred to me that I've heard nothing about Adelphi in a long, long time. As most of you know, Gene Rosenthal recorded a number of country blues artists in the late 60's and early 70's, many of which were issued on lp for his Adelphi label. In the CD age, some of these were reissued as part of his re-vamped Adelphi Blues Vault series (Skip James, Robert Wilkins, Hacksaw Harney, etc.).

Has Adelphi gone out of business since then? They still have a website (adelphirecords.com), but it does not seem to be active ? their email contacts, for instance, do not work. The "new releases" section leaves us with a few tantalizing but as-yet-unissued titles by Johnny Shines and a 1969 electric session by R.L. Burnside.

I hope they are not gone for good, as I'd always held out hope for the re-release of George and Ethel McCoy's "Early in the Morning" lp!
Jeff

Offline Bunker Hill

Re: Adelphi Records
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 10:46:34 AM »
Gene is still active and popped up briefly on the prewar blues discussion group sometime last month in response to a topic concerning the effect of the Depression on Race records.

Offline doctorpep

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 08:45:44 PM »
Awesome! I can't wait for that Shines release. Hopefully it's stuff I don't already have. I also e-mailed them and either got no response or a mailer-daemon.
"There ain't no Heaven, ain't no burning Hell. Where I go when I die, can't nobody tell."

http://www.hardluckchild.blogspot.com/

Offline jpeters609

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 07:56:14 AM »
I'm worried we might be waiting a long time, doctorpep. It looks like the website hasn't been updated in years.
Jeff

Tags: Adelphi Records 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal