Set Pieces

<< < (3/3)

Blues Vintage:
Check this out;

Set pieces

https://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=6412.msg51329#msg51329

banjochris:

--- Quote from: Johnm on June 28, 2022, 12:34:32 PM ---Hi Thomas,
I think that set piece players in the early era of Country Blues recording were in the majority. I agree with those that you named, and would add, most definitely Tommy Johnson, Robert Johnson and Bo Carter...

--- End quote ---

Interestingly with Robert Johnson I think is that we have so many alternate takes of his songs to compare and some of them are absolutely set pieces (even sometimes down to the vocal asides), while others like Phonograph Blues (which has two takes in two keys, both in one of his set accompaniments) or Come On In My Kitchen, which has a completely different feel from one take to the other, are very different.

Then you have someone like Blind Boy Fuller, who we also have a lot of alternate takes and versions from, who other than some extra verses here and there plays a number pretty much the same way each time, with some room for improvisation on various licks but the structure and lyrics staying mostly the same.

I would also recommend that discussion Blues Vintage linked to; maybe John or someone can merge these topics, because it's an interesting discussion.

Chris

Johnm:
As per Chris's suggestion, I have merged the thread that Blues Vintage linked to and Thomas's new thread of today.

Thomas8:
Thanks guys, great thread!

eric:
Dave Van Ronk was mentioned in earlier post. He once described himself as a singer who is very particular about his guitar accompaniments and it's true - he has some terrific arrangements.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version