collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
The old expression says, 'simplicity is only the absence of clutter', it's not a substance. That's all, right?... The timing's harder. The less notes you play, the harder the timing. When you're playing quick it's just eighth notes so they're all even. Syncopation is created from the space - Jerry Ricks, Port Townsend 97

Author Topic: Charles / Charlie / C. Blake information?  (Read 648 times)

Offline pkratz22

• Howdy!
Charles / Charlie / C. Blake information?
« on: September 29, 2020, 03:11:11 PM »
Hello all,

I had been looking into information about Blind Blake's "That Will Never Happen No More" (Paramount 12497) and the following sources both state that it was written by a Charlie Blake.
http://www.78discography.com/Para120.htm
http://www.honkingduck.com/discography/artist/blind_blake

I also noticed quite a few of his works in the following link were also written by Charles / Charlie / C. Blake.
http://www.musiktiteldb.de/Interpreten/10640.html

I tried to do some research into who this was but was coming up empty-handed and was wondering if anybody here knew anything?

I don't believe this was a pseudonym since he released the works under his usual "Blind" Blake (and I cannot finding anything implying it was a pseudonym). It may have been a relative, but there isn't much known about his family so I didn't find anything along that path.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Much thanks,
pkratz22
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 04:40:25 PM by pkratz22 »

Offline jpeters609

Re: Charles / Charlie / C. Blake information?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2020, 04:06:33 PM »
An interesting question, particularly when you consider that Blind (Arthur) Blake also recorded a song -- one of his very last -- called "Champagne Charlie Is My Name" on Paramount 13137.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 04:11:44 PM by jpeters609 »
Jeff

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2020, 02:09:45 PM »
...the following sources both state that it was written by a Charlie Blake.

I wonder where that information came from.  LOC?  ASCAP?  Paramount files, if such exist?

Bob MacLeod, via Max Vreede, had the composer as simply Blake, and online scans of the Paramount label confirm this.  So the info from your 3 sources is something other than the record label. 

Offline pkratz22

• Howdy!
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2020, 03:46:06 PM »
Thank you for the information! It appears that musiktiteldb.de cited 78discography as their source, so I have sent an email to them asking if they could share their source for that information. I suspect that you're correct though, and Blind Blake wrote the pieces himself. I'll let you know if there is any update though. Thank you again!

Offline alyoung

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2020, 05:35:54 AM »
"Champagne Charlie Is My Name" is of no relevance in any Arthur/Charlie discussion. The song is Blake's version of a music hall/vaudeville song that dates back to the 1860s.

Tags: Blind Blake 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal