collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I ain't never loved but three men in my life. One's my father, and my brother, and the man that wrecked my life - Alberta Hunter, Down Hearted Blues

Author Topic: Document CDs--availability, sound quality, etc.  (Read 40898 times)

Offline jostber

Re: Document CDs--availability, sound quality, etc.
« Reply #195 on: November 07, 2009, 08:48:30 PM »
That Banker's compitlation sounds like a cool one:

http://www.document-records.com/fulldetails.asp?ProdID=DOCD-32-20-16

Some more good news :

We repressed the Will Ezell recently, but I?m well on the way to updating the notes?
I?ll post them on the web for download when they are done but again if anyone has anything on Ezell I?d be glad to hear from you

Offline jostber

« Reply #196 on: November 08, 2009, 03:51:05 AM »
A new Document release?

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #197 on: November 08, 2009, 01:16:29 PM »
Hi all,
I noticed that included among the recent Document CDs on sale are the 2 volumes of the complete Leecan & Cooksey.  You can go to their tag to find more info on them here at the Weenie site, but if you like raggy material with absolutely stellar flat-picked back-up guitar, (by Bobby Leecan, my favorite of the early guys in that style,) and superlative harmonica (by Robert Cooksey, whew!), you may want to check these discs out.
All best,
Johnm

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #198 on: May 21, 2010, 02:24:41 PM »
They haven't sent out a newsletter about it, but Document has posted a new batch of sale stuff.  No discernible theme, a lot of stuff that's been on sale before, and the prices are all over the place.  But definitely worth a look.

You'd think that Document would put the complete Tampa Red, Lonnie Johnson, and Roosevelt Sykes on sale.  I'd buy a ton of stuff at that sale!    :D   

Offline jostber

« Reply #199 on: May 27, 2010, 02:34:21 PM »

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #200 on: May 28, 2010, 01:31:49 AM »
"Barrelhouse Blues". This is based on Paul Oliver's latest book of that title which I found a bit turgid and really not offering an interesting analysis IMHO. It rehashes an awful lot of "Recording the Blues" from the Studio Vista series and adds his opinions on "seculars". OK, but not one to put at the top of your list like his other stuff which I regard as essential.

I just ordered half-a-dozen cd's from Document (they're waiting at the Post Office) mostly at ?1.99, which makes picking up obscurities I would not have bought otherwise worthwhile.

Offline unezrider

« Reply #201 on: May 30, 2010, 06:22:15 PM »
hello friend,
i just picked up a few things from that sale myself. mostly stuff i had been wanting anyway, (big maceo vol.2, big bill vol. 11, & blind willie mctell's l.o.c.) but i also grabbed the blind willie mctell 3 disc (27-35) since it was so cheap. i figure that's worth it for a dozen or so songs i don't have. & best of all, i spent around $20 (american) after shipping. can't beat that!
"Be good, & you will be lonesome." -Mark Twain

Offline Alexei McDonald

• Howdy!
« Reply #202 on: May 31, 2010, 03:54:41 AM »
What's annoying me at the moment about Document is that the newer CDs (the white ones) won't play in my Marantz DV3100 at all, only in the el-cheapo DVD drive in my PC. :(

Actually I do have a second gripe - the gaps in coverage.   For example, the first recordings of Walter Davis and the last ones of Butterbeans & Susie were never issued in the DOCD series, because they were covered by (long-deleted) JSP CDs which are now quite pricey on the second-hand market.   My hope is that these will eventually appear in the DOCD series, like the Henry L. Castle tracks did, after many years of supposed availability on an Italian label.

Offline jostber

« Reply #203 on: June 02, 2010, 02:48:53 AM »
I just ordered the Barrelhouse compilation. Looks like a great track selection.

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #204 on: June 06, 2010, 09:53:12 AM »
For those of us in the U.S. and Canada, I'd like to point out that the exchange rate with the British pound is very favorable right now.  A ?7.99 non-sale Document CD, if ordered today, would cost less than $12.00 US and less than $13.00 Canadian.

Offline jostber

« Reply #205 on: August 15, 2010, 02:23:31 PM »
Ordered a lot of Documents the other day:

Bill Gaither - Vol 5 1940 - 1941
Bumble Bee Slim - Vol 4 1935
Clarence Williams - Volume 1 Whoop It Up !
Doctor (Peter) Clayton - 1935 - 1942
Jazz Gillum - Vol 4 1946 - 1949
Ollie Shepard - Vol 1 1937 - 1939
Ollie Shepard - Vol 2 1939 - 1941
V.A. - Alan Lomax In Haiti
V.A. - Rare Country Blues Vol 4 1929 - c.1953
V.A. - Too Late Too Late Blues 1926 - 1944
V.A. - Too Late Too Late Vol 3 1927 - 1960's
Washboard Sam - Vol 7 1942 - 1949

Seems like their web site has gone down with an error message the last couple of days.

Offline jostber

« Reply #206 on: August 16, 2010, 04:34:29 AM »

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #207 on: August 16, 2010, 04:55:13 AM »
A fine recent article by Tony Cummings on Document Records
Good Lord, in 1965 Tony Cummings published my first ever blues reviews in his magazine, Soul Music Monthly. 

Throughout the 60s and 70s Tony was a prolific commentator on all manner of black music. I often wondered what became of him.

Offline jostber

« Reply #208 on: August 16, 2010, 05:52:34 AM »

Seems like their web site has gone down with an error message the last couple of days.

I just got a reply from Document that the web server hosting the site was down and they work on fixing this. They just had their email restored.

Offline jostber

« Reply #209 on: August 17, 2010, 04:13:25 AM »

I just got a reply from Document that the web server hosting the site was down and they work on fixing this. They just had their email restored.

Web site is up again now.  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal