collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Guess me and my tapeworm must go further down the road, 'Cause we eat so much, won't nobody give us no board - Me And My Tapeworm, Sylvester Weaver 1927

Author Topic: Adventures in F position  (Read 28237 times)

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: Blues in F
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2005, 11:58:03 AM »
Hi all,
I recently noticed a few more tunes that fall into this category:
   "Sadie Lee"--Peg Leg Howell
   "Turtle Dove Blues"--Peg Leg Howell
   "Laughing Pallet"--Hacksaw Harney
All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2006, 12:57:50 PM »
Hi all,
Snooks Eaglin plays a number of tunes in F, standard tuning, on his recently released "New Orleans Streetsinger" album on Smithsonian Folkways:  "Let Me Go Home, Whiskey", "The Lonesome Road", "Helping Hand" and "Drifting Blues".
All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2006, 11:00:59 AM »
Hi all,
I was just listening to the Algia Mae Hinton CD "Honey Babe:  Blues, Folk Tunes and Gospel" (Hin-Tone 82929) that was produced by Lightnin' Wells and recorded at Port Townsend a few years back, and noticed that Algia Mae does an eccentric little F tune on there, "Take Me Back To The Movie Star".  I have never heard another like it.  Incidentally, I don't know if this CD is still in print, but it is excellent, better, I think, than the later release put out on Cello by the Music Maker Foundation.  If the CD is still in print, you could probably get it from Lightnin'.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2006, 01:15:30 PM »
John:

It appears that the Algia Mae Hinton CD: "Honey Babe" is still available. Here's the link:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/musicmakerstore/algiamaehinton.html

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2006, 01:47:41 PM »
..and the CD is on the Juke

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2006, 05:46:29 AM »
A few Mississippi Sheiks songs:

Jail Bird Love Song
Yodeling Fiddling Blues
Times Done Got Hard
Unhappy Blues
I've Got Blood In My Eyes For You

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2006, 12:27:06 PM »
A couple more, since Frankie jogged my memory on tunes with fiddle -- Andy and Jim Baxter's Georgia Stomp and Forty Drops are both in F.
Chris

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2006, 05:45:58 PM »
Andy and Jim Baxter's Georgia Stomp and Forty Drops

Nice ones, both.  James Baxter's accompaniment on Georgia Stomp definitely takes the cake for me - perfect loose-but-tight stuff!

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2006, 05:15:10 PM »
Hi all,
I recently heard the re-issue of the Mance Lipscomb album on Reprise, "Trouble In Mind", and Mance does a previously unreleased version of "Casey Jones" on there that he plays out of F.  The melody that Mance uses is the one commonly used by Trad Jazz bands playing the song, and it sits beautifully in F, really natural.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2006, 11:21:56 PM »
Hi all,
I got to thinking about it and realized Leadbelly must have recorded more tunes in F.  I checked on the first two volumes of his Library of Congress recordings on Rounder this evening, and in addition to "Roberta", he does a terrific version of "Midnight Special" in F and also "Governor Pat Neff".  He was so prolific, I'm sure he had more F tunes.
All best,
Johnm

rbuniv

« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2006, 07:24:16 AM »
Memphis Jug Band; "FOURTH ST. MESS AROUND", Starts on Dm but resolves to key of F. Tampa Red; " DUCKS YASS YASS YASS" another great song in F.

Try adding the low F note on the E string with your thumb, this gives the chord a nice well rounded sound also try to pick out the base runs associated with this position. I play the B flat barring the top four strings on the third fret with the ring finger, add the C7 and you're playing in the key of F.

Later; RB

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2006, 09:33:40 AM »
Yeah, but Duck's Yas Yas is a VI7-II7-V7-I (D7-G7-C7-F) so no Bb necessary.-G- Which is why this is such a popular rag key.

All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2006, 10:31:50 AM »
Hi all,
I listened through Leadbelly's Last Sessions yesterday and today and found two more songs he played out of F position, standard tuning (though tuned quite low, as was his practice).  "Relax Your Mind" is an F blues with great lyrics including driving tips (really!) and "Sweet Mary" is a terrific raggy number.  Listening to Leadbelly reminded me again of how under-rated I think he is as a blues player.  Perhaps he is not given enough credit for his blues playing because he was embraced by the Folk crowd, and that made him suspect to die-hard Blues fans.  These fans should know better; all you have to do is listen to him to realize that he absolutely had the goods when it came to playing blues.  And what a singer he was!
All best,
Johnm

Offline PattonsDaimon

• Howdy!
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2006, 02:47:20 PM »
John, is Luke Jordan's Travelling Coon really in F?  I've been playing it in E for years....
"To be is to be the value of a bound variable." -- W.V. Quine

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2006, 05:25:45 PM »
John, is Luke Jordan's Travelling Coon really in F?

Sounds like it to me.  It may sound counterintuitive, but those bass lines are probably easier in F than E.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal