collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I'd stand on the corner and wave my hand. Sayin' if you don't believe that I'm a drinking man, baby stop by here with your beer can - Robert Wilkins, Jim Canan's

Author Topic: Document CDs--availability, sound quality, etc.  (Read 40829 times)

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
Re: Document CDs--availability, sound quality, etc.
« Reply #135 on: January 26, 2008, 11:38:15 AM »
RJ,

If you haven't already done so, it would be worthwhile for you to go back to the beginning of this thread and read through it.  There are several suggestions for good places to get Document records, some of them at discount prices.  But be careful - the Document catalog is highly addictive!

Offline rjtwangs

« Reply #136 on: February 05, 2008, 07:57:36 PM »
I just got 'Never Let The Same Bee Sting You Twice' in yesterdays mail. Very fast delivery from Document, and so far it sounds great! Thanks for the recommendation...

RJ

Cooljack

New Document CD reissues
« Reply #137 on: March 21, 2008, 11:52:38 AM »
Document have brought back a fair amount of old CD's back into print,

Most notably the Blind Willie Mctell and Curley Weaver 1949 Recordings which have been remastered and come with a few new tracks, aswell as a MUCH better album cover:

you can download all the tracks in mp3 aswell

Also some long awaited reissues of Mississippi Sheiks Vol. 1 ,Bo Carter Vol. 3 and Gus Cannon Vol. 2

Offline Bunker Hill

Re: New Document CD reissues
« Reply #138 on: March 21, 2008, 12:43:49 PM »
Document have brought back a fair amount of old CD's back into print,

Most notably the Blind Willie Mctell and Curley Weaver 1949 Recordings which have been remastered and come with a few new tracks
That's very interesting because the original release was withdrawn shortly after release because Tamara Shad threatened Johnny Parth with court action on account of the four Sittin' In With recordingss. Shad sold all her labels to Sony in about 1996 who today wouldn't know what was currently in their ownership or not.

I trust they've commissioned somebody to redo the booklet notes which are now 17 years out of date and woefully inadequate.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #139 on: March 21, 2008, 01:58:42 PM »
I merged the above 2 posts with the mega-Document availability thread.

Those extra McTell-Weaver tracks were previously only available on the Guitar Slim and Jelly Belly - The Back Porch Boys CD from Delmark, I believe.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #140 on: March 21, 2008, 02:19:17 PM »

Those extra McTell-Weaver tracks were previously only available on the Guitar Slim and Jelly Belly - The Back Porch Boys CD from Delmark, I believe.
Indeed so way back in 2002.  ;D

Offline CF

« Reply #141 on: March 21, 2008, 02:41:35 PM »
I have 'Pig N Whistle Red' & that somewhat crappy 6cd 'BW Mctell King of the Georgia Blues/Complete Blues' (which gets worse with each relistening: the 1949 tracks drag & etc & there are a bunch of other sound issues) & by my count they are missing 5 of the tracks from this Document Cd, all sung by Weaver. Is this Document complete for this/these sessions?
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #142 on: March 21, 2008, 03:08:23 PM »

What were the extra tracks?
Chris

Offline CF

« Reply #143 on: March 21, 2008, 03:12:39 PM »
Chris they are

My baby`s gone   
Ticket agent 
Some Rainy Day     
Trixie 
(off hand these sound like Weaver is solo)
and
She Don't Treat Me Good No More
which sounds like Weaver & Mctell on 2nd guitar . . . .

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #144 on: March 21, 2008, 08:04:01 PM »
Actually the tracks I was referring to are McTell tracks: an alternate take of It's My Desire, an alt. take ( I think) of River Jordan, and the Thomas Dorsey composition "How About You", which I don't think has been available elsewhere in any take. I'd have to confirm all of this. Right now I am just going by the CD tracklist.

edited to add: Actually, River Jordan is just plain previously unreleased. I was confusing it with the Atlantic recordings.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 08:15:15 PM by andrew »

Offline CF

« Reply #145 on: March 21, 2008, 09:08:53 PM »
Oh sorry for the confusion Andrew . . . those tracks you mention are actually on this Complete Blues 6CD Mctell set. It's one of the reasons I bought it . . . also it has an alt. take of Broke Down Engine no.2. What it doesn't have are those tracks I was asking about which makes me want this Document CD.

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #146 on: March 21, 2008, 09:17:54 PM »
Actually the tracks I was referring to are McTell tracks: an alternate take of It's My Desire, an alt. take ( I think) of River Jordan, and the Thomas Dorsey composition "How About You", which I don't think has been available elsewhere in any take. I'd have to confirm all of this. Right now I am just going by the CD tracklist.

edited to add: Actually, River Jordan is just plain previously unreleased. I was confusing it with the Atlantic recordings.

Thanks for the info. For some reason I thought I had heard McTell doing "How About You" but just looked it up and I was remembering Buddy Moss and Josh White doing it.
Chris

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #147 on: March 21, 2008, 10:06:34 PM »
Hi Cheapfeet - Yes, sorry, I was unaware of that Snapper 6-CD set. So were the Penguin folks it seems.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #148 on: March 22, 2008, 12:48:14 AM »
Hi Cheapfeet - Yes, sorry, I was unaware of that Snapper 6-CD set. So were the Penguin folks it seems.
Hardly surprising Andrew, it was released a year after the book was published.  :P

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #149 on: April 04, 2008, 10:20:50 AM »
This just in:

http://www.document-records.com/specials.asp?offset=0

Volumes 1-7 of Peetie Wheatstraw are included in this month's specials.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal