collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Stop look and listen - I hear somebody calling me. It's the voice of the blues calling me back to my used to be - Irene Scruggs, Voice of the Blues

Author Topic: Blues Lyrics and Hoodoo  (Read 4707 times)

Offline Bunker Hill

Blues Lyrics and Hoodoo
« on: March 18, 2006, 10:42:30 AM »
I've tried performing a search to see if the following long established web site has been referenced previously but, if I'm using the search facilty correctly, it seems not, so:

http://www.luckymojo.com/blues.html

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
Re: Blues Lyrics and Hoodoo
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 11:27:26 AM »
Hey Bunk,

I've wondered if Cat would ever take an interest in Weenie Campbell, and I've always enjoyed her site. Thanks for posting it here.

All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 11:33:42 AM »
I thought it had been mentioned but perhaps not. Definitely worth several visits. It is, and has been for awhile, in the Web Links section in the left hand menu.

Anyone here ever ordered a mojo bag from Cat? ;)

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 11:34:24 AM »
I've wondered if Cat would ever take an interest in Weenie Campbell, and I've always enjoyed her site. Thanks for posting it here.
She sure is a dedicated and interesting lady. I wish I had the time to listen and transcribe some on that list of required lyrics.

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2006, 11:38:51 AM »
I think she also resides on the fringes of the Bay Area so I kinda hope to run into her one of thee days.-G-

All for now.
john C.
George Bernard Shaw

Joseph Heller, Catch-22

CD on YT

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2006, 11:42:12 AM »
I thought it had been mentioned but perhaps not. Definitely worth several visits. It is, and has been for awhile, in the Web Links section in the left hand menu.
Oops I'm ashamed to say that in my six moths here I haven't 'clicked' that link. Strange it didn't come up in the search, couldn't have got the criteria correct.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2006, 11:52:54 AM »
Anyone here ever ordered a mojo bag from Cat? ;)
Not I, but she did very kindly send me her book 'Hoodoo Herb And Root Magic; A Materica Magica of African-American Conjure' which has proved to be an invaluable reference tool. Most of the information therein is now contained on her web site but for me not as "user friendly" as the strict alphabetical entries as in the book. But I'm a bit old fashioned like that.... :(

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2006, 02:59:06 PM »
I've tried performing a search to see if the following long established web site has been referenced previously but, if I'm using the search facilty correctly, it seems not, so:

Yes, the site is mentioned several times on Weenie.  The thing to have to keep in mind is when using the "quick search" e.g. the box that appears in the header -- the search is Board specific.  So, to search the entire site, make sure you start at the Forum Index otherwise the search is Board specific e.g. if you are in "Copuntry Blues Lyrics" the search is in "Country Blues Lyrics".

You can also specify a variety of boards to search in via the full search (the Forum Search Menu option)

Cheers,

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2006, 04:22:47 PM »
Or if you use the Search (by Google) near the bottom of the Main Menu in the left column (above Contact Us) and type in Lucky Mojo it also searches the non-forum content and will show the link in the Links section.

So, three levels of search available:

Search button in Header at top of any Forum page: Board specific search

Forum Search under Forum in Main Menu: Forum specific search which can be limited to specific boards.

Search near bottom of Main Menu. Searches all content.

All for now.
John C.
George Bernard Shaw

Joseph Heller, Catch-22

CD on YT

Offline Bunker Hill

Blues Lyrics and Hoodoo
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2007, 12:34:55 PM »
To the best of my searching I've not found mention here of the attempt started in 1996ish by Catherine Yronwode to document CB songs which took as their subject hoodoo or related subjects. I think she got about as far as transcribing a couple of hundred only half of which she put on her web site: http://www.luckymojo.com/blues.html

mmpresti

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2007, 08:48:47 PM »
So where can you contact her now?, there no longer seems to be a prewar blues list on yahoo server anymore. Bunker Hill, what thread are you responding to?

???

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2007, 11:27:25 PM »
So where can you contact her now?, there no longer seems to be a prewar blues list on yahoo server anymore. Bunker Hill, what thread are you responding to?
I'm sure elsewhere on the website there is contact information. I wasn't responding to anything only curious if anybody hereabouts had come across this attempt at lyric transcriptions of a specific blues subject.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2007, 06:23:15 AM »
Surprised there's no reference in the forums, but the site is in the Weenie Web Links section (left hand menu)...

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2007, 07:52:26 AM »
I've always thought Cat was one of the more interesting posters on the pre-war blues list. I've often thought of dropping in to her Lucky Mojo store outside of Santa Rosa. I figured stopping by with the Hohoppas, next time Chez is in town, and playing a few Memphis Jug Band tunes would get a rise out of her.-G-

All for now.
John C.
George Bernard Shaw

Joseph Heller, Catch-22

CD on YT

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2007, 09:59:55 AM »
Surprised there's no reference in the forums, but the site is in the Weenie Web Links section (left hand menu)...
Shame on me. I've been so engrossed in the discussions that I've never so much as thought to click that to see what's there!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal