collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
In 1976 for the bicentennial I rented a motor home, I thought that would be so cool, and three months later, I bought the motor home, gave up my apartment and I lived on the road for 26 years with my first two wives. Not at the same time. - Roy Book Binder, Bob West interview, Port Townsend 2006

Author Topic: Rolling Mill Blues  (Read 4556 times)

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
Rolling Mill Blues
« on: March 09, 2004, 05:24:42 PM »
Inspired by JohnM's suggestion, Kim and I have been working on Peg Leg Howell's Rolling Mill Blues.  It represented a couple of challenges for both of us - for me, the singing dips kinda low out of my range, so it's hard for me to push air in those spots.  I did end up taking some liberties with PLH's guitar part, but tried to keep the skeletal sound that he got.  We tried to let the three parts weave in and out of each other - not sure how well that worked out...  might also be affected by my "recording technique" (hah!).

Blues fiddling is a whole new thing for Kim, but I think she picked up the gist of the whole thing pretty quickly.  As a result of working on this tune, she started fooling with positions beyond the 1st.  The intonation up there can get a little dicey, but it's getting better all the time.  This is also her first attempt at incorporating vibrato, which doesn't really have much of a place in old-time fiddling.

The overall recording is pretty rough - expect no finely honed recording techniques here - download at your own risk!  The file is pretty small - about 600kb.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
Re: Rolling Mill Blues
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2004, 05:40:34 PM »
Well Frank, good on you and Kim for posting your early rendition/challenges of these fine tunes.

Yes, I'd say Kim has got the gist of Rolling Mill Blues - it's really great to hear this tune perfomed.. what a kick!  I hope yawl keep this one in your repetoire and will post it again in a few months when you've had time to polish it a bit.  It's just outstanding!

cheers,
slack

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2004, 06:14:23 PM »
Hi Frank,
I just down-loaded and listened to "Rolling Mill"--what a treat!  That is such a great sound, with the guitar capoed up high in Spanish and the bluesy fiddle.  I really like the way Kim is making and inflecting her notes.  there is something kind of magical about those places where the African American and the Appalachian music converge.  Way to go!
All best,
John

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2004, 06:32:37 PM »
Thanks guys - I'm glad you like it (not to mention slightly amazed!).  It's been fun to work on the tune together.  We started picking out a bunch of tunes that appeal to both of us...  it's impossibly ambitious and the list is way too long, but even if we only get to a quarter of it, it'll probably have been worth it.

Of course, we both just sat down and listened to the original - amazing how much is in there...  sheesh!

That place where blues & old-time meet is definitely a cool place!

Offline eric

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2004, 08:31:43 PM »
Hey,
That's very, very cool.  Well done to both of you,
--
Eric

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2004, 11:08:02 PM »
Cool, Frank. So I'm hoping to hear that live next week. I'll email you now that our sched is shaping up.
All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2004, 07:37:51 AM »
Thanks, Elder Hadley & waxwing.  Looking forward to the vist, John - there may be no end to the unsavory musical experiences in store for you should you brave our doorstep!

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal